Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm saying that it's terribly disappointing that a talented baller, fan favorite, and NFL-bound player found the prospect of spending his senior year with these teammates, fans, and coaches so unbearable. 

Not saying life won't go on, but I really thought Scott Frost was going to clean up the mojo around here. 

I think this is part of the clean up process. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

If he doesn't want to be at Nebraska for whatever reason or reasons, Frost is cleaning up the mojo.

Other players have wished they had another season to play under Frost.

You and I have opposing views at times, but that's what makes this board enjoyable.  Other views:D

I can't agree with you enough.  My comments are slightly harsher.  If you don't want to be here, see ya.  Take the drama with you and leave.  Best of luck.  Thanks for your dedication, but I can't help but think that he might have been one of the "leaders" not bought into the Frost vision.  Kid carries a lot of weight with the team and his comments/attitude/etc have consequences for the team.  Good, bad or indifferent.  His actions speak loud to me.  And I can't stand the passive aggressive sh!t.  See ya.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

You and I have opposing views at times, but that's what makes this board enjoyable.  Other views:D

I can't agree with you enough.  My comments are slightly harsher.  If you don't want to be here, see ya.  Take the drama with you and leave.  Best of luck.  Thanks for your dedication, but I can't help but think that he might have been one of the "leaders" not bought into the Frost vision.  Kid carries a lot of weight with the team and his comments/attitude/etc have consequences for the team.  Good, bad or indifferent.  His actions speak loud to me.  And I can't stand the passive aggressive sh!t.  See ya.  

He is from MN...that is how we live our lives up here :-)

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

He has to sit a year, right? 

I mean if he leaves

That's the only thing I've ever seen.  Hasn't graduated and - as far as anyone seems to know - can't graduate by August.  And he's already used his redshirt.  So he'd have to transfer and hope to get a waiver.

From what I've read, the problem isn't so much not wanting to be here as just not really loving football.  One of those guys that's really good at it but doesn't really love it.  And all the changes in our program over his time here probably isn't helping.

• Plus1 5
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm saying that it's terribly disappointing that a talented baller, fan favorite, and NFL-bound player found the prospect of spending his senior year with these teammates, fans, and coaches so unbearable. 

Not saying life won't go on, but I really thought Scott Frost was going to clean up the mojo around here. 

Not sure him transferring says he finds things unbearable. The coaching staff that recruited him is gone. The vast majority of the class he arrived with is gone. All the upper class men he got to know are gone. Even the 2017 class under him is mostly gone. Then if he is having some struggles health wise it could totally make sense that he is wanting to go to a program that has coaching staff he knows and friends of his. He may find the grass isn't greener, but when you miss things from the past you don't see that.  

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

I just don't understand why he would transfer. IMO Nebraska is positioned to be his best bet for a good draft pick next year.

If Adrian's injuries were preventing his sophomore season and his offseason surgeries are a success, then wow--we have an amazing amount of talent (yet unproven) at wide receiver talent of Omar, Alante, Betts, etc, with established players in Robinson. WIth a healthy Adrian throwing to them with (hopefully) a better offensive line--we will definitely have a dangerous offense.

Spielman, Robinson, Omar, Alanta, Betts is a pretty damn good WR corps on paper.

Those players will hopefully take pressure off of him on offense and allow him to flourish with the new talent around him. He could also prove that he's the best player among them and prove himself to be the best player on the field at any time. That's up to him.

It would suck to lose him and if he wants to play with some friends--I guess thats fine., but he is giving up a possibly huge opportunity here.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

What is Frost supposed to do, short of paying him? It's not like the ball never came his way. I think it's ludicrous to lay this at Frost's feet after everything that has happened. 

but what happened?

Speilman wasn’t a slacker or a primadonna or a complainer. Most games he was the best player on the team, a flat out baller who became famous for his Yards After Contact. He was about to become the most prolific receiver in Nebraska football history,

if if he wants to give that up for a single season elsewhere, it’s a black eye for Nebraska and a question on every recruit’s mind. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

IF that helmet post is any indication of where he might be considering.....it makes me question if he has the required work ethic, a lot more than viewing it as any sort of black eye for the program. He’s a heck of a talent and seemed to have plenty of toughness so I hate to speculate on what he may be thinking before we know the real story but I can’t shake the thought that those would appear to be places a guy might want to go if he just wanted to skate by on his natural talent or take it down a notch because he may not love playing the game.

The fact that he is in line to become the schools most prolific receiver is cool and would be welcomed but I think that fact says more about numerous things in the program (style of offense and an unhealthy but thus far necessary reliance on his production that should not continue this season) and indicates he could be replaced. It boils down to his decision and the last thing any of us should want is a player that may not be fully invested in doing it here. It might be concerning if our recruiting was bad but it isn’t. There are plenty of capable players who can fill any possible void. Hope he stays but if not, oh well.

I hope he makes a good decision in regard to his future as a student and player.  He has special talent and would be a great asset to any team.  

Many things impact these choices and some are quite unrelated to his membership on the Husker team.  We should not jump to any conclusions at this point.  If he is not enjoying his time in Lincoln he needs to find another path.  Life is always more complicated than any of us wish it to be.  

Just now, Toe said:

Maybe we should wait for some actual confirmation before we go off the rails with speculation as to his motives? :dunno

Yes. I saw this on Reddit and figured I'd better come here to see the freakout. HuskerBoard did not disappoint.

Word is, he's visiting his friend Tyjon Lindsey. Who plays for Oregon State, and has that bucket. He isn't putting hats on a table like a NLI Day reveal.

People need to relax.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

but what happened?

Speilman wasn’t a slacker or a primadonna or a complainer. Most games he was the best player on the team, a flat out baller who became famous for his Yards After Contact. He was about to become the most prolific receiver in Nebraska football history,

if if he wants to give that up for a single season elsewhere, it’s a black eye for Nebraska and a question on every recruit’s mind. 

Just as an example when Antonio Brown who clearly was one of the very best wide receivers in the NFL at that time started acting up and jumping around from team to team was it all Mike Tomlin, John Gruden and Bill Belichiks's fault????!!!! 

Blaming Frost for one players actions regardless of the fact that JD is/was a good wr and player is completely ridiculous.  Most recruits with half a brain will realize the very same thing.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Just as an example when Antonio Brown who clearly was one of the very best wide receivers in the NFL at that time started acting up and jumping around from team to team was it all Mike Tomlin, John Gruden and Bill Belichiks's fault????!!!! 

Blaming Frost for one players actions regardless of the fact that JD is/was a good wr and player is completely ridiculous.  Most recruits with half a brain will realize the very same thing.

It seems a bit like forcing facts to fit an agenda, doesn't it?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yes. I saw this on Reddit and figured I'd better come here to see the freakout. HuskerBoard did not disappoint.

Word is, he's visiting his friend Tyjon Lindsey. Who plays for Oregon State, and has that bucket. He isn't putting hats on a table like a NLI Day reveal.

People need to relax.

This seems to be the most logical explanation to me.  The only other thing I thought of was perhaps this is a new helmet that is supposed to protect against concussions more and it just happens to have an Oregon State logo on it?  JD got dinged more than a few times and there was some talk that he was going through post-concussion issues at the tail end of last year.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers