Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

Reading through the twitter feeds - I'm not sure Nebraska fans are doing our team any favors.  Some people are just plain rude.  The young man hasn't even announced his intentions to do anything yet and people are really giving him a hard time.  smh

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is something I keep seeing and this is nothing more than speculation.  Just because he's a 5th year senior, doesn't mean he doesn't have friends still on the team.  

Yes, it's speculation, but it's informed speculation.  Guys in the same recruiting classes or recruited by the same coach are going to bond with each other, especially if they are in the same in the position group.  Spielman is one of the few players left from the 2015-17 classes, especially as an offensive skill player.  Players go through a lot in their transition to college.  If there aren't many players left from those classes, the remaining players can struggle with finding a place with the recruits coming in.  This is probably especially true with JD because he seems like a quiet guy, who won't speak with the media, so he it's possible that he's not interested in befriending and being a vocal leader to the younger guys.

It's similar to being in a fraternity where most guys are friends with guys in their pledge class and a year above and below them.  By the time someone is a senior in the house, a lot of them don't really care about getting to know the incoming freshmen as close friends.  They are in different stages of their college lives.

There are comments about Spielman working out with Tyjon Lindsay in Omaha this week.  So, Spielman is choosing to work out with a guy who hasn't been at NU in nearly 2 years.  Spielman is probably a lot closer to Lindsay than he is with any of the current receivers on the team.  The only receiver that I would think Spielman is close with is Kade Warner because they are both "Riley guys" and their dad's ties to the NFL.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it's speculation, but it's informed speculation.  Guys in the same recruiting classes or recruited by the same coach are going to bond with each other, especially if they are in the same in the position group.  Spielman is one of the few players left from the 2015-17 classes, especially as an offensive skill player.  Players go through a lot in their transition to college.  If there aren't many players left from those classes, the remaining players can struggle with finding a place with the recruits coming in.  This is probably especially true with JD because he seems like a quiet guy, who won't speak with the media, so he it's possible that he's not interested in befriending and being a vocal leader to the younger guys.

It's similar to being in a fraternity where most guys are friends with guys in their pledge class and a year above and below them.  By the time someone is a senior in the house, a lot of them don't really care about getting to know the incoming freshmen as close friends.  They are in different stages of their college lives.

There are comments about Spielman working out with Tyjon Lindsay in Omaha this week.  So, Spielman is choosing to work out with a guy who hasn't been at NU in nearly 2 years.  Spielman is probably a lot closer to Lindsay than he is with any of the current receivers on the team.  The only receiver that I would think Spielman is close with is Kade Warner because they are both "Riley guys" and their dad's ties to the NFL.

Again, the vast majority of this post is speculation with no basis....especially the bolded.  I have friends from college from a few years older than me all the way to a few years younger than me.  Some, I was in college with for only one year.

I know a guy who golfed in college.  He was telling me about a guy he's still good friends with.  The friend was a senior when he was a Freshman.  

Is that anecdotal evidence?  Yes...but no more than what some are claiming about him not having friends on the team because he's from the 2015 class.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Again, the vast majority of this post is speculation with no basis....especially the bolded.  I have friends from college from a few years older than me all the way to a few years younger than me.  Some, I was in college with for only one year.

I know a guy who golfed in college.  He was telling me about a guy he's still good friends with.  The friend was a senior when he was a Freshman.  

Is that anecdotal evidence?  Yes...but no more than what some are claiming about him not having friends on the team because he's from the 2015 class.

I get it, we are each allowing our own personal experiences and background inform our opinions.

However, with Spielman, he and his teammates early in his career were recruited and coach by the same head coach and position coach.  That head coach and position coach are both gone.  Spielman's former teammates are also almost gone completely.  We have seen evidence that Spielman is not out-going and prefers to keep to himself (by the way he refuses to talk to the media).  Is that type of personality going to make close friends with a lot younger teammates recruited by a different coaching staff very well?  Yes, it's possible, but in my experience introverts prefer to be close to a small circle of friends.

Without knowing Spielman, I am trying to make an informed opinion of him and his place within the team by his own actions.  I am not going to say it's "pure speculation".  I would say it's much closer to him having few close friends on the team, rather than being the most popular guy in the room.

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get it, we are each allowing our own personal experiences and background inform our opinions.

However, with Spielman, he and his teammates early in his career were recruited and coach by the same head coach and position coach.  That head coach and position coach are both gone.  Spielman's former teammates are also almost gone completely.  We have seen evidence that Spielman is not out-going and prefers to keep to himself (by the way he refuses to talk to the media).  Is that type of personality going to make close friends with a lot younger teammates recruited by a different coaching staff very well?  Yes, it's possible, but in my experience introverts prefer to be close to a small circle of friends.

Without knowing Spielman, I am trying to make an informed opinion of him and his place within the team by his own actions.  I am not going to say it's "pure speculation".  I would say it's much closer to him having few close friends on the team, rather than being the most popular guy in the room.

First of all, why? Second of all, it is pure speculation, because everything informing our opinions here take huge leaps of logic. For example, not wanting to talk to the media doesn't mean he always keeps to himself. I wouldn't want to talk to the media as a player, and I'm not an introvert. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't - but you can't judge personality by liking/disliking talking to the media.

He also had the option to leave when his head coach and position were fired, and didn't. You can be friends with people not in your class. And jumping to "introverts probably wouldn't make friends with younger players" is just a massive leap. I also don't think being recruited by the same staff makes you any more likely to get along than being recruited by different staffs. We have no idea around any of the specifics here, so speculate all you want - but let's not claim these are informed opinions, mine included. Informed would be actually knowing him or friends of his on the team, and I hope anyone in that boat is respectful enough to not fuel more speculation.

14 hours ago, TheSker said:

Except in college sports there's a new 'crootin' class coming in each year.

And Frost is bringin' in some dudes.

So no, it's not really anything like your analogy.

When your hot girlfriend dumps you, you start bringin' in some ladies and tellin' your friends you're doing better without her.

I honestly don't know how sexy Nebraska's new WRs are. 

44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not into their looks because I am into blondes that are women, but I can tell you their football skills are pretty damn solid.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When your hot girlfriend dumps you, you start bringin' in some ladies and tellin' your friends you're doing better without her.

Again.

Frost brings in new 'croots.

Some current players may decide to "dump" Nebraska.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I'm not into their looks because I am into blondes that are women, but I can tell you their football skills are pretty damn solid.

The rebuttal to this is "as high schoolers, against high school competition, yes". 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The rebuttal to this is "as high schoolers, against high school competition, yes". 

and my rebuttal is the camps they performed at against high talent, recruiting evaluations, rankings, and type of competition played against. Hence why I said football skills not football statistics.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

and my rebuttal is the camps they performed at against high talent, recruiting evaluations, rankings, and type of competition played against. Hence why I said football skills not football statistics.

And the rebuttal to that is "Those have always translated to high levels of play when those players transition to college ball /s". 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Reading through the twitter feeds - I'm not sure Nebraska fans are doing our team any favors.  Some people are just plain rude.  The young man hasn't even announced his intentions to do anything yet and people are really giving him a hard time.  smh

This... It is incredibly annoying to see some accounts just tag players as freely as they do. There is an account called "Husker Recruiting| Nebraska CFB who just @'s everyone and is pretty intrusive. Thomas Fidone, JD Spielman, Adrian Martinez get dragged in these a lot. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers