Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

19 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Talked to a Nebraska high school head coach today that told me Spielman is a cancer on the team. Tried to stage a “coup” as he called it against coaches last year when they practiced outside before going to Minnesota because it was too cold. Said he tried to get players to skip practice. Said Frost is trying to play it nice with public because Spielman is about to break school records but he does NOT want Spielman to return. He also said Frost didnt realize the extent of the problems Riley created when he took job. 

This could all be true but how would I high school coach have this info?

• Plus1 5
24 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

They would if they have a former player on the Nebraska team.

FYI, I've heard the same thing. That JD and the Davis twins (among others) caused a lot of problems last year.  Exact same story about the "cold" practice.

Where there's smoke....It's hard when the perceived leaders of the team do not buy in.  They have, IMHO, much more influence over a team than the staff does.  Peer pressure, continually with each other etc.....Throw in the Frost's comments about guys under Riley, rumors about playing time and it's a recipe for disaster.  A lot of work to do.......

Once the team and staff are all on the same page, I think this team will start to be what we had all envisioned with the Frost hire.  Just more issues than we can see were encountered.   

• Plus1 1

It's good this stuff is coming out.

Culture and buy in have been ridiculed at times.....but much of the success that Frost has seen in both his playing days and head coaching tenure have been when the accountability came peer to peer.

And while I wouldn't want anyone on the team who doesn't want to be there, I can understand why some older players would be frustrated from all the decision maker shenanigans the past five years.

Hopefully the players now entering their third season under Frost can step up with leadership.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Granted he’s an elite talent at our weakest position, but I have a difficult time believing SF and Co would put up with that. I could maybe see them tolerating a talented guy with a bad attitude. But kowtowing to a dude actively trying to sabotage the team? Come on now. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Fru said:

Granted he’s an elite talent at our weakest position, but I have a difficult time believing SF and Co would put up with that. I could maybe see them tolerating a talented guy with a bad attitude. But kowtowing to a dude actively trying to sabotage the team? Come on now. 

He’s a potential nfl caliber player at what last year was an incredibly weak pianoforte the team. I’m sure Frost and his staff were willing to try to reach him and get him on the same page as them. Plus it sounds like maybe he wasn’t a cancer until after the season had started

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

It's good this stuff is coming out.

Culture and buy in have been ridiculed at times.....but much of the success that Frost has seen in both his playing days and head coaching tenure have been when the accountability came peer to peer.

And while I wouldn't want anyone on the team who doesn't want to be there, I can understand why some older players would be frustrated from all the decision maker shenanigans the past five years.

Hopefully the players now entering their third season under Frost can step up with leadership.

I think he it really shines light on what Frost inherited and is having to overcome....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Fru said:

A lot of rumored discontent about how he handled the Mo issues.....I think Frost would put up with some crumblings to get the wins...It's a balancing act.  Lay the hammer down in the season and lose the guys that are in player "X's" camp.  I look at Jurgens as an example.  Frost weighed the pros and cons and announced him as starter.  I know there was some grumblings from Matt about his brothers situation, but Frost was playing the long game ie the next 4 years....I'm guessing put up with some stuff (JD) and just tried  try to drag the team across the goal line b!^@hing and moaning..

Hopefully this year, there is nothing, but guys who are 100% sold.  I said before and I will say again, for Frost to get the classes he has after 3 losing seasons means the kids he is getting are bought into what he is selling.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think he it really shines light on what Frost inherited and is having to overcome....

Agreed.

Anyone who doesn't think Frost's desire to win at Nebraska burns deep is kidding themselves.

We're fortunate Osborne gave Frost the green light to come.  The trickle down from Perlman is hurting the program to this day still.....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

10 hours ago, macroboy said:

This could all be true but how would I high school coach have this info?

Because Frost recruits at his school

and I assume communicates with him when they are together. Maybe its a silent recruiting relationship and they just sit there and stare at each other but I doubt it :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Fru said:

I've heard some people are even blaming Perlman for letting guys like JD Spielman destroy the team. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/29/2020 at 2:27 PM, Frott Scost said:

Talked to a Nebraska high school head coach today that told me Spielman is a cancer on the team. Tried to stage a “coup” as he called it against coaches last year when they practiced outside before going to Minnesota because it was too cold. Said he tried to get players to skip practice. Said Frost is trying to play it nice with public because Spielman is about to break school records but he does NOT want Spielman to return. He also said Frost didnt realize the extent of the problems Riley created when he took job. 

This rumor has been out there for quite awhile. Supposedly AM may have been involved with the whole "too cold" coup. JD is a stud. I truly hope he is healthy, but I firmly believe he may be one that SF keor referring too as "not entirely bought in". If true, his attitude will cause a lot more damage than any production. 

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, HANC said:

This rumor has been out there for quite awhile. Supposedly AM may have been involved with the whole "too cold" coup. JD is a stud. I truly hope he is healthy, but I firmly believe he may be one that SF keor referring too as "not entirely bought in". If true, his attitude will cause a lot more damage than any production. 

So much this.  A veteran guy, who as you said is a stud, undermines the staff it can have a very negative impact on the team.  

• Thanks 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers