Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

3 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

What I am saying is that his move is a punk move. Maybe that’s what I should’ve said in my first post. Football isn’t what it used to be. When I played I was taught not the quit on your teammates. College football isn’t the same any more he’ll football in general isn’t the same. I’m not saying I know why he decided to make this punk move but with all the “I’m transferring because this coach or this player hurt my feelings” it’s muddied up football. It’s a tough man sport 

Ah, the old, "Back when I played grass wasn't invented and we played on a mixture of broken glass, pain and rocks."  Let me guess, instead of water you drank the tears of the other team?

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If culture was truly a main issue (as its been vocalized to the fans, many times over the past 2 years), then this could be a push in the right direction. I don't want to hear the word culture in terms of an excuse ever again though, the bad blood has to have been purged by now.

my thoughts exactly- I'm all for the  purge as long as it works. lol  

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If culture was truly a main issue (as its been vocalized to the fans, many times over the past 2 years), then this could be a push in the right direction. I don't want to hear the word culture in terms of an excuse ever again though, the bad blood has to have been purged by now.

Well ... there are still 18 Riley recruits on the roster so ... :lol:

But I agree, that part should have been shown the door now.  The part were over 50 of our current scholarship guys are freshmen or sophomores is a different story.  But I think we'll see noticeable improvement this year.

I have a feeling the coaches have probably known for a while that he wasn't coming back.  He's a good player and I enjoyed watching him play.  But this is no different than if he got hurt in fall camp for the year.  Someone is going to have to fill that spot.  They just have more time to prepare now.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

What I am saying is that his move is a punk move. Maybe that’s what I should’ve said in my first post. Football isn’t what it used to be. When I played I was taught not the quit on your teammates. College football isn’t the same any more he’ll football in general isn’t the same. I’m not saying I know why he decided to make this punk move but with all the “I’m transferring because this coach or this player hurt my feelings” it’s muddied up football. It’s a tough man sport 

JD never quit on his teammates during the season, he was an absolute warrior the past 3 seasons. Also, back when I played we supported each other like family, if JD's head and soul is gonna be right somewhere else, there isn't a coach and player in that locker room  that will feel like JD quit on them.

• Plus1 8
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

So, can he apply for a waiver before he finds a school? I would think schools might be hesitant to take him and give up a scholarship spot without knowing for sure that a waiver would be granted.

Maybe that is why he waited until now to make the announcement? Maybe waiting on a school to say they will take him with or without a waiver? 

• Plus1 1
On 6/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, BlitzFirst said:

For me, I bet JD is tired of having a different coach every single year at Nebraska...what has he had 3 different ones now?

So he chooses to have a single season with his fourth coach on another team.

JD must not be THAT tired of instability. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

wish the guy best of luck, dude left it out on the field for us last year despite some gnarly injuries.  I hope he spent his time thinking this decision through and he can be at peace with it moving forward.  As far as I'm concerned, football is a brutal AF game and if your head and heart isn't 100% there then you shouldn't be out on the field.  Clearly he wasn't 100% onboard with things here and thats ok, he isn't the first to transfer and certainly won't be the last.

While he did have a great opportunity to shatter career records here, it happened to fall in one of the worst stretches in progrum history and perhaps there's an element where he just wants to win once during his college career.

From a Nebraska standpoint, nothing to do but to thank him for his time and move forward.  Silver lining here is we got rid of a guy on the fence (bad apple is too strong of a word, but i suspect detractor is ok to use) and this opens the door for a few to step up in a big way.  I will miss JD a bit but frankly, his body size limits his impact in a meaningful way when he's the #1 receiver.  He's a gamer, don't get me wrong, but I saw a pretty noticeable difference in his consistent impact and playmaking last year compared to when he had a guy like Stanley drawing attention years prior.  Will miss him for sure, but I'm not going to lose sleep over losing a guy who racked up stats but never translated into wins for the team

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

You would think his dad might have some pull with getting a waiver. Maybe not

If he was having mental issues, the covid and riots probably didnt help

None of us knows.  Three head coaches and who knows how many headaches.  Often the only offensive bright spot.  Good luck kid! Nothing but peace and happiness wishes from me. 

I have heard from dudes that were walk ons that by the time they got to the end, they hated it, they hated lifting, they hated running, they hated practiced, they hated the fact that they knew they were never going to play, they hated meetings and so on...

Clearly that is much more rare for a starter but maybe that is it.

• Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers