Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

@krc1995 I may have misremembered things a bit, but he didn't participate in either the 2018 or 2019 spring games, and he took a leave of absence for 'unspecified medical reasons' ahead of this year's spring camp - I think you can read between the lines on that one.He was originally going to play lacrosse - not football - at Ohio State before his dad introduced him to Riley, who lured him to play WR here. Rumors have been flying for years that his heart wasn't really in it as a football player. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he retires from football entirely.

"I just love football and can't get enough of it," Spielman said. "I realized that I can't imagine being done with the sport after high school, so I'm doing everything I can to reach the next level."

"The scholarship is still there, but they understand right now that I'm focused on the football recruiting process," Spielman said. "My dad and I had a talk while I was deciding on the lacrosse scholarship. He asked me, 'If a Division I college football opportunity comes up, would you take it over lacrosse?' I already knew the answer. Football comes first."

Too much speculation in your post for my taste. Maybe I'm wrong and he wasn't a great teammate. But from what I saw on the field, he gave his all, took some brutal hits in the process, and always got back up and managed to make another great play. From my view he repped the N well on and off the field. Far be it from me to question the kid as a teammate and his love of the game. At the end of the day if his heart and head are no longer at Nebraska - he absolutely should transfer.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

He isnt wrong. He has turned into the curve that Nebraska fans wont like him regardless of what he writes, so I think he writes stuff to get some attention.

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not - but if not, he is wrong. There could absolutely be silver linings here, but it is not a "total blessing" in any sense. There would've been more than enough opportunities for young guys with Spielman as the only legitimate returning threat, the cost of opportunities for young players is proven production from experienced ones. Losing him swings us way past the sweet spot in balancing those, IMO.

Meh. If he was the cancer some of the stories suggest, then we will be better off without him. If those stories aren't true, well, he didn't want to stick around for some reason that likely would've caused him to give less than 100%. Yeah he was a natural talent that would've been nice to hold onto but no amount of talent is going to make up for absent attitude and effort. So....good luck JD. Next man up.

It's pretty apparent now that the Beaver helmet tweet wasn't completely innocent. Probably a good place for him.

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, Toe said:

@krc1995 I may have misremembered things a bit, but he didn't participate in either the 2018 or 2019 spring games, and he took a leave of absence for 'unspecified medical reasons' ahead of this year's spring camp - I think you can read between the lines on that one.He was originally going to play lacrosse - not football - at Ohio State before his dad introduced him to Riley, who lured him to play WR here. Rumors have been flying for years that his heart wasn't really in it as a football player. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he retires from football entirely.

just googling- maybe it was 2017?  I don't alway pay attention in the spring 

35 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not - but if not, he is wrong. There could absolutely be silver linings here, but it is not a "total blessing" in any sense. There would've been more than enough opportunities for young guys with Spielman as the only legitimate returning threat, the cost of opportunities for young players is proven production from experienced ones. Losing him swings us way past the sweet spot in balancing those, IMO.

He isnt mocking the rationale husker fan.. He is mocking the homers and there are plenty. 

He isnt wrong that plenty will only try to spin everything. 

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

"I just love football and can't get enough of it," Spielman said. "I realized that I can't imagine being done with the sport after high school, so I'm doing everything I can to reach the next level."

"The scholarship is still there, but they understand right now that I'm focused on the football recruiting process," Spielman said. "My dad and I had a talk while I was deciding on the lacrosse scholarship. He asked me, 'If a Division I college football opportunity comes up, would you take it over lacrosse?' I already knew the answer. Football comes first."

Too much speculation in your post for my taste. Maybe I'm wrong and he wasn't a great teammate. But from what I saw on the field, he gave his all, took some brutal hits in the process, and always got back up and managed to make another great play. From my view he repped the N well on and off the field. Far be it from me to question the kid as a teammate and his love of the game. At the end of the day if his heart and head are no longer at Nebraska - he absolutely should transfer.

I mean ... all of those things can be true.

He could have been really looking forward to it when he was in high school.  A lot can change in five years, especially with what the program has gone through in that time.

He could - and did - seem to give it all while he was on the field.  And represented the team well.

And his heart and head might no longer be in it.  And it might be because he kind of lost his love for the game.  

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He could have been really looking forward to it when he was in high school.  A lot can change in five years, especially with what the program has gone through in that time.

The quotes were more so about the post saying he had to be pushed into football, and he wanted to play lax out of HS - which wasn't the case. 

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The quotes were more so about the post saying he had to be pushed into football, and he wanted to play lax out of HS - which wasn't the case. 

I think you're exaggerating what was said.  He was obviously planning to play lacrosse at some point.  Then he decided to play football.  People can speculate and semantic that to death but suffice to say that it wasn't his life-long dream to play football.  Or at least he thought lacrosse was a more desirable option at one point.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers