Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

I think that these guys have every right to share their opinion especially when engaging with some "fan" who interacts with them the way this one did. 

That being said who at slot receiver does mike williams think he should play in front of? JD got a bunch of reps there and is a much better player. does he honestly think he can do what Robinson can do? Would he have rather sat on the bench instead of getting reps on the outside? I dont mean to insult the guy but maybe he just wasn't very good, its not like a bunch of top 25 teams were recruiting him out of juco.

For mcquitty Nebraska didn't have a true outside receiver last year and he still couldn't see the field who was frost playing favorites with if there isn't an outside threat even on the roster.

As for speilman maybe he just wants to play in a bowl game in his college career.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

The "no more excuses" crowd seems to be ignoring quite a few factors. Good rundown.

There is a difference in "no excuse" and valid excuse....I think we are still a year or two away from really seeing what NU has (2021/2022).  Starting a brand new DL, no JD, seems like only Wan'dale returns with more than one catch, ILB, another new coordinator etc.....Throw in a murderers row our last 5 games (not like the first 7 have a gimme) and there are A TON of valid reasons we might struggle next year.  

Athleticism, culture, not his guys etc shouldn't even been mentioned.  The vast majority of guys getting snaps should be guys recruited for the system or are in year3 with Frost and Co.  

To the former players speaking out, I can't imagine them agreeing that they performed poorly, were in their natural position etc....No one wants to admit they failed to meet expectations...Maybe the staff overlooked them.  Bottom line, that had to be a lot of drama and he said/she said BS in the locker room.  Not good for the team, the staff or the individual players impacted....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I think that these guys have every right to share their opinion especially when engaging with some "fan" who interacts with them the way this one did. 

That being said who at slot receiver does mike williams think he should play in front of? JD got a bunch of reps there and is a much better player. does he honestly think he can do what Robinson can do? Would he have rather sat on the bench instead of getting reps on the outside? I dont mean to insult the guy but maybe he just wasn't very good, its not like a bunch of top 25 teams were recruiting him out of juco.

For mcquitty Nebraska didn't have a true outside receiver last year and he still couldn't see the field who was frost playing favorites with if there isn't an outside threat even on the roster.

As for speilman maybe he just wants to play in a bowl game in his college career.

No idea outside of JD and Wan'dale was a threat at receiver.   Injuries impacted some and talent appeared to be lacking....IIRC, there is even talk of using Hickman this year as a receiver not TE.  So not like we had a deep "bench" at WR to begin with.  Not getting playing time is a reflection of the players not the staff IMHO...

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I don't think he was claiming he should have been playing over JD or Wan'Dale in the slot, just pointing out that he was playing out of position. He's not better than those guys, but he would've put up solid numbers playing in the slot. He wasn't recruited as an outside receiver. We like to cross-train them at all the positions so I'm sure he knew he would get some reps there, but he's just pointing out one of the factors for low number. He did what he could and helped us out as much as possible in a position he's not built for. We've had too many situations like that during the transition.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:32 PM, TheSker said:

Roster management is even tougher when you ultimately need to flip almost the entire roster.

The OL recruiting difference between Riley and Frost is night and day.

The walk on program also takes more than just a couple of years to be productive.

Frost has been getting guys to leave that simply didn't have what it took to compete at a B1G level.

That's actually pretty good roster management.

Yea...JD did not have what it took to compete at the B1G level lol.  He would of only have accomplished what no other WR in Nebraska history has done.  Roster rotation management thus far under Frost has been horrendous. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Yea...JD did not have what it took to compete at the B1G level lol.  He would of only have accomplished what no other WR in Nebraska history has done.  Roster rotation management thus far under Frost has been horrendous. 

So....

You picked my post from more than 3 months ago and made it about Spielman?

"Solid".....

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I think it's a pretty bad look for JD and the others to be commenting publicly.  I am guessing any future coach/employer has to consider, "If I don't make this guy happy, I'm probably going to see the results on twitter."  Guessing we don't see much from them going forward.

It may not be a good look, but it's hard for a young man not to respond publicly when people are trashing your work ethic, skill, and loyalty publicly. Even then I think these guys have been pretty diplomatic. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Landlord said:

Is it really a bad look if every single fanbase does it?

Every single fanbase also speculates on whether the coaching staff handled things as well as they could have.

It is what it is. The only legit concern is how the larger college football world looks at Husker culture at the moment, given that recruits, staff, scouts, and media make decisions that affect the team moving forward. I think everyone is waiting for and rooting for the Scott Frost era to take hold, but the evidence just isn't there yet. 

Winning cures everything. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Every single fanbase also speculates on whether the coaching staff handled things as well as they could have.

It is what it is. The only legit concern is how the larger college football world looks at Husker culture at the moment, given that recruits, staff, scouts, and media make decisions that affect the team moving forward. I think everyone is waiting for and rooting for the Scott Frost era to take hold, but the evidence just isn't there yet. 

Winning cures everything. 

Right on.  The program is at a crossroads in many ways.  This is a critical time to keep absolutely focused laser like on the future and that everybody is on board and united.   The brand must be out front and center.  Marketing. Marketing.  Marketing.  Information and positive messaging like never before.  The image has suffered in many respects for a decade.  The new facilities- great and bold.  Spend some money promoting the academics, athletics, traditional values, staff, etc etc.  

Safety. Care.  Pride. Support.  

The brand has faded after 20 years of decline.   Shine it up and sell all that Nebraska has been, is and can be. 

8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Right on.  The program is at a crossroads in many ways.  This is a critical time to keep absolutely focused laser like on the future and that everybody is on board and united.   The brand must be out front and center.  Marketing. Marketing.  Marketing.  Information and positive messaging like never before.  The image has suffered in many respects for a decade.  The new facilities- great and bold.  Spend some money promoting the academics, athletics, traditional values, staff, etc etc.  

Safety. Care.  Pride. Support.  

The brand has faded after 20 years of decline.   Shine it up and sell all that Nebraska has been, is and can be. 

Maybe don't sell what it is and has recently been.. I like the can be part.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Maybe don't sell what it is and has recently been.. I like the can be part.

Well I suppose but perhaps the good is being lost due to an information vacuum or deficiency. When any organization with a very positive mission is facing negative challenges, a strong response is very helpful.  Especially when the competition is tough.  

I dont see all that is being done brand and promotionally speaking but sell, sell, sell is the best idea for dealing with revenue and brand decline imo.  

• Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers