Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yes. I saw this on Reddit and figured I'd better come here to see the freakout. HuskerBoard did not disappoint.

Word is, he's visiting his friend Tyjon Lindsey. Who plays for Oregon State, and has that bucket. He isn't putting hats on a table like a NLI Day reveal.

People need to relax.

The same Tyjon Lindsey who also USED to be a Husker and also LEFT the team? :B) .......and it was urgent enough to visit  him DURING a pandemic :ahhhhhhhh

Just trying to help people relax....

Seriously though, isn't this the perfect example of an off season player topic careening way out of control? Embrace the crazy.

• Fire 1

I don't think JD likes the cultural expectations that have been set forth by Coach Frost.   Its unfortunate that he is stuck in this brutal transition from Riley to Frost.  The resultant lack of winning has not helped.  Despite all that he has continued to play hard and make plays on the football field.

JD is sending mixed signals right now.  Do you want that from a senior leader going into what may be a strange 2020 season? He needs to figure something out soon.   This would be more unneeded drama for Frost to navigate through.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Yes. I saw this on Reddit and figured I'd better come here to see the freakout. HuskerBoard did not disappoint.

Word is, he's visiting his friend Tyjon Lindsey. Who plays for Oregon State, and has that bucket. He isn't putting hats on a table like a NLI Day reveal.

People need to relax.

So much this. From the looks it's a Schutt brand helmet and I'm pretty sure all the Nebraska helmets are Riddell. I just see it as a brand thing like Adidas vs Nike

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm saying that it's terribly disappointing that a talented baller, fan favorite, and NFL-bound player found the prospect of spending his senior year with these teammates, fans, and coaches so unbearable. 

Not saying life won't go on, but I really thought Scott Frost was going to clean up the mojo around here. 

JD won't get drafted. 

• Thanks 2

the way i see it, he did not transition well between riley and frost. Scott appears to be a real no nonsense coach.

seems to me JD started to think others left the team for good reasons and maybe he felt compromised as well.

i really think someone got in his ear and thus he walked......

i think we are at or near the end of this shake-out with Frost as the HC.

i don't think JD will benefit from his decision.....as most would agree, we are better off without him.....talent or no, if you don't want to be here, please exit and allow others a chance...and stop playing games on social media and face your decisions like a man.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm sorry, but when a player transfers just a few games away from becoming the all-time receiver in a prestigious football program, it really is a black eye for Nebraska football. 

couldn't disagree with you more.....i am assuming you know the whole story and talk with him daily......lol

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
38 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

JD won't get drafted. 

Virtually every NFL mock draft board has JD Spielman going in the second or third round. Some had him as a second or third rounder had he declared this year, in one of the most WR heavy drafts in memory. 

https://sportstalkline.com/nfl-draft-news/245354/jd-spielman-nebraska-wr-2020-nfl-draft-profile.html/

Yeah, I guess this is my "agenda" -- wondering aloud if maybe the team buy-in and attitude isn't where it should be going into Year Three, and thinking it might be uncool pretending JD isn't really that good, or that his not wanting to be at Nebraska is his own character flaw and doesn't reflect anything else at all. 

Remember, if we stop speculating on things we don't know enough about,  HuskerBoard will cease to exist. Don't let that happen! 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Virtually every NFL mock draft board has JD Spielman going in the second or third round. Some had him as a second or third rounder had he declared this year, in one of the most WR heavy drafts in memory. 

https://sportstalkline.com/nfl-draft-news/245354/jd-spielman-nebraska-wr-2020-nfl-draft-profile.html/

Yeah, I guess this is my "agenda" -- wondering aloud if maybe the team buy-in and attitude isn't where it should be going into Year Three, and thinking it might be uncool pretending JD isn't really that good, or that his not wanting to be at Nebraska is his own character flaw and doesn't reflect anything else at all. 

Remember, if we stop speculating on things we don't know enough about,  HuskerBoard will cease to exist. Don't let that happen! 

Talent wise and as a football player, yes, he would get drafted.  However, NFL teams pay attention to things like what he is doing right now.  Are they going to draft him, spend a ton of money on him, only to have him quit?  Are the rumors of him really not loving football true?  When it's your job and people are paying you a lot of money to do it, that's a pretty big question.

I would say that the way things are right now, he would not get drafted that high....if he does actually get drafted.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, 308_Husker said:

I just don't understand why he would transfer. IMO Nebraska is positioned to be his best bet for a good draft pick next year.

If Adrian's injuries were preventing his sophomore season and his offseason surgeries are a success, then wow--we have an amazing amount of talent (yet unproven) at wide receiver talent of Omar, Alante, Betts, etc, with established players in Robinson. WIth a healthy Adrian throwing to them with (hopefully) a better offensive line--we will definitely have a dangerous offense.

Spielman, Robinson, Omar, Alanta, Betts is a pretty damn good WR corps on paper.

Those players will hopefully take pressure off of him on offense and allow him to flourish with the new talent around him. He could also prove that he's the best player among them and prove himself to be the best player on the field at any time. That's up to him.

It would suck to lose him and if he wants to play with some friends--I guess thats fine., but he is giving up a possibly huge opportunity here.

If Mav is correct, then the bolded doesn't really help his "not loving the game". 

13 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

couldn't disagree with you more.....i am assuming you know the whole story and talk with him daily......lol

Solid 14th post. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Read your previous post. You have made far more sweeping assumptions about JD's motives and inner monologues than I have. 

i am not attacking you, but your post comes with no support......black eye for Husker football? your blanket statement is without merit.

no one knows his real motivation for being absent, my thoughts are just my opinion, as are yours

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
30 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i am not attacking you, but your post comes with no support......black eye for Husker football? your blanket statement is without merit.

no one knows his real motivation for being absent, my thoughts are just my opinion, as are yours

Fair enough. If JD has lost his passion for football or is concerned about his future health, it will be a sad day for Nebraska football.

If he signs with another team for his senior year, it will be a black eye for Nebraska football. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Remember when Lamar Jackson was going to get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round?  Pepperidge Farms remembers

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 6
4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Remember when Lamar Jackson was going to get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round?  Pepperidge Farms remembers

Yep, they're just throwing stuff out there at this point. And, I don't think the draft argument works 100% anyway. If the guy goes in the early rounds, probably a good indicator he was a good college player. But the inverse isn't always true - whether JD goes in the first or the 7th round, he's a great college player.

We have no idea what the situation is. There are scenarios where leaving would look bad for us, and there are some that don't. I agree with Guy that pretending he's not that great or the only reason he might not want to be here is because of any part of his character is dumb. But I don't buy that it's either an issue with JD or an issue with the team culture - there are a lot of possibilities for what's going on. And we probably won't get the details, so we may never know anyway.

• Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers