Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

42 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fair enough. If JD has lost his passion for football or is concerned about his future health, it will be a sad day for Nebraska football.

If he signs with another team for his senior year, it will be a black eye for Nebraska football. 

Why is it a black eye for NU football when a talented kid only wants to give 90% effort at a school where the coach is not someone that recriuted him.  The staff has preached they want kids that live nebraska football and kids that fit that culture.  NU has kids that fit that bill and have similar talent. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

I look at it this way.  Students change their majors all the time.  Usually because they realize they don't want to be in the original field they chose.  JD is not in the same position as some of the football players out there.  He probably doesn't need football to survive or make a living.  If he doesn't love the game and he's just going through the motions then I don't blame him.  I played for a losing team for 4 yrs and it sucked.  If I didn't love the game I would have quit.  I don't know exactly what he is going through.  He's been a good player and hasn't done anything stupid to this point that anyone knows about to make the University look bad.  If he wants to leave nobody should be judging and if he comes back good for him.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I look at it this way.  Students change their majors all the time.  Usually because they realize they don't want to be in the original field they chose.  JD is not in the same position as some of the football players out there.  He probably doesn't need football to survive or make a living.  If he doesn't love the game and he's just going through the motions then I don't blame him.  I played for a losing team for 4 yrs and it sucked.  If I didn't love the game I would have quit.  I don't know exactly what he is going through.  He's been a good player and hasn't done anything stupid to this point that anyone knows about to make the University look bad.  If he wants to leave nobody should be judging and if he comes back good for him.  

Well said. The circumstances of the team during his recruiting and today have so utterly changed, too. He's being used in a different offense than the one he was recruited for, his best buds from that recruiting class are gone, the coaches are gone, the team has lost A LOT of games since he arrived, and all the pieces may not be in place for a turnaround this year. He may want to avoid the really tough schedule we have as well. 

There are a lot of reasons he could be rethinking his commitment to Nebraska. And very, very few of them involve a "black eye" for the university or for Frost. That's a weird agenda to keep pushing.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

People with 14 posts can speak as much truth as people with 40,000 posts.

Never really understood this observation.

You aren't wrong, but in this situation, posting history can lend credibility; i.e. I'm much more likely to lend credence to that type of a post coming from you than @hunter49, because I know your habits and (whether or not I agree with it) understand that you participate in discussions in good faith, which I don't think this post in particular is an example of.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Why is it a black eye for NU football when a talented kid only wants to give 90% effort at a school where the coach is not someone that recriuted him.  The staff has preached they want kids that live nebraska football and kids that fit that culture.  NU has kids that fit that bill and have similar talent. 

So.....you're suggesting JD. Spielman wasn't playing hard and didn't care because he wasn't playing for the coach that recruited him. 

And that one of the other kids could just as easily be the leading receiver in Nebraska football history. 

This is like finding the flaws in your hot ex-girlfriend after she dumps you. 

• Plus1 5

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So.....you're suggesting JD. Spielman wasn't playing hard and didn't care because he wasn't playing for the coach that recruited him. 

And that one of the other kids could just as easily be the leading receiver in Nebraska football history. 

he dumped her.  everyone knows that

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Just as an example when Antonio Brown who clearly was one of the very best wide receivers in the NFL at that time started acting up and jumping around from team to team was it all Mike Tomlin, John Gruden and Bill Belichiks's fault????!!!! 

Blaming Frost for one players actions regardless of the fact that JD is/was a good wr and player is completely ridiculous.  Most recruits with half a brain will realize the very same thing.

Just as an example, you gave the biggest head case in all of professional football.  And the only blame coaches got was giving Antonio Brown another chance to poison a team. 

In three years of watching JD play for the Huskers, I've never seen anyone question his effort until today. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm speculating about JD not playing hard -have no first hand proof (but there is smoke out there that he hasn't been happy in a long while)

On the next part - Nice job jumping that creek and then telling everybody it was the grand canyon.  I said that players had similar talent.  Most records happen when a team lacks depth - As NU has for the past 3 years.  There are 5-7 guys that may have JD level talent and non of them may pass his numbers or they may.  We will see but depth and takent will play a factor in how many targets each will get going forward.

Finding flaws in something is just being real - pretty sure there are flaws in almost everything.  And you know what they say about a hot female walking alone. 

I am all for piling on Riley and how horrible of a coach he was, how normal-nice he was (not some saint), how lame he was with team rules... but I don't think this is some Frost "shake out".

I think it is a kid that just doesn't know what he wants to do right now.  It happens.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just as an example, you gave the biggest head case in all of professional football.  And the only blame coaches got was giving Antonio Brown another chance to poison a team. 

In three years of watching JD play for the Huskers, I've never seen anyone question his effort until today. 

Again complete speculation on your part and in the process going forward and actually blaming Scott Frost based off of what you've 'seen' of him (Spielman) on the field and apparently in interviews...

Completely unfair to SF at this point.  End of story.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am all for piling on Riley and how horrible of a coach he was, how normal-nice he was (not some saint), how lame he was with team rules... but I don't think this is some Frost "shake out".

I think it is a kid that just doesn't know what he wants to do right now.  It happens.

I think it's normal for college seniors get to a point of "I just want college to end" so they get on with the next step in my life.  It's a similar experience for athletes and non-athletes.  It's a similar experience for guys who are breaking career records at the school and the 5th year senior who has only played special teams.  It's just that JD is in a high profile spot on the team and University, and he probably doesn't have many guys he's close with on the team anymore.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, theknife said:

JD just posted a video of him working out with Keith Williams at an Omaha gym to Instagram!

Should I be excited that he's back in the state of Nebraska, or should I be nervous about working out with an old WR coach with no current ties to Nebraska?

Somebody tell me how I should think!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers