Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I think you're vastly underestimating how much people like and respect Michelle Obama. Oprah and The Rock would not have had a chance, and I'm not sure why you chose them as a comparison. Obama has a law degree and her experience as first lady counts for something. And just pulling from wikipedia below, she has more and better experience than your 2 examples, but again, that's not that important to the average person. I know multiple people who aren't excited about Biden who love Michelle and like her more than they ever like Barrack.

I think you're vastly overestimating how much "like and respect" turns into votes. I know of literally no one that isn't voting for Biden but would vote for Michelle Obama. Do you really think she helps Biden get elected, and keep in mind that we're talking about the general election now and not just Dem primaries? I think she'll hurt his chances or at best break even with some no name Dem he picks at random.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think you're vastly underestimating how much people like and respect Michelle Obama. Oprah and The Rock would not have had a chance, and I'm not sure why you chose them as a comparison. Obama has a law degree and her experience as first lady counts for something. And just pulling from wikipedia below, she has more and better experience than your 2 examples, but again, that's not that important to the average person. I know multiple people who aren't excited about Biden who love Michelle and like her more than they ever like Barrack.

I agree she would be huge to the ticket and I also think she would have won the primary if she had run.  I also agree that she is super popular, like, maybe (if we are just looking at women in this example) top 3 most popular woman in the world right now.  (I also feel like Ellen would be in the top 3)

Also, nothing listed in that bio is a "real job" she basically has not worked since the mid 90's, but that really isn't an issue for me or for most voters.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I think you're vastly overestimating how much "like and respect" turns into votes. I know of literally no one that isn't voting for Biden but would vote for Michelle Obama. Do you really think she helps Biden get elected, and keep in mind that we're talking about the general election now and not just Dem primaries? I think she'll hurt his chances or at best break even with some no name Dem he picks at random.

Absolutely I think she would help him get elected. I think she would increase turnout for non Trump supporters.

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That resume is not something to turn up a nose to.  But she wouldn’t be getting the nod because of.  

Im with @RedDenver, if our govt simply becomes a popularity contest, I’m out! 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

That resume is not something to turn up a nose to.  But she wouldn’t be getting the nod because of.  

Im with @RedDenver, if our govt simply becomes a popularity contest, I’m out! 

No, she wouldn't get the nod because of the resume, but it wouldn't detract many people who hadn't already decided they don't like her.

If you and RedDenver don't see this is already the case then I think you've been asleep for a long time.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

No, she wouldn't get the nod because of the resume, but it wouldn't detract many people who hadn't already decided they don't like her.

If you and RedDenver don't see this is already the case then I think you've been asleep for a long time.

If we were to elect people based on how well they'd do as president, we would be elected a lot smarter people, maybe even *gasp* scientists. But usually scientists aren't great at speaking in front of a camera or being charismatic.

I don't think she's particularly charismatic, so her appeal is that she's not hated and she's the former first lady of a popular Dem president? I'm open to changing my mind about her, but my initial reaction is :facepalm:

Just now, RedDenver said:

I don't think she's particularly charismatic, so her appeal is that she's not hated and she's the former first lady of a popular Dem president? I'm open to changing my mind about her, but my initial reaction is :facepalm:

Really?  Have you seen her on talk shows and stuff?  She is funny, charming, fun.

19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Really?  Have you seen her on talk shows and stuff?  She is funny, charming, fun.

Yeah, she's similar to most people on TV - it's why I mentioned Oprah and The Rock both of whom I find more charismatic than Michelle. I don't dislike her, but I find it bizarre that she's being mentioned for VP as we've heard absolutely nothing about her politics or policies. She might have campaigned before (I honestly don't know), so that'd be something at least.

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yeah, she's similar to most people on TV - it's why I mentioned Oprah and The Rock both of whom I find more charismatic than Michelle. I don't dislike her, but I find it bizarre that she's being mentioned for VP as we've heard absolutely nothing about her politics or policies. She might have campaigned before (I honestly don't know), so that'd be something at least.

Well, you know why she is being mentioned, the D's are scrambling to collude this s#!t out of that ticket.  

I do think The Rock is way more engaging than MO but Oprah seems to have lost her sense of humor over the years.  

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well, you know why she is being mentioned, the D's are scrambling to collude this s#!t out of that ticket.  

Umm what? How is picking the VP collusion in any way? I have no love for Biden or the Dem party, but I don't see how collusion fits here.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

To each his own, but "not hated" ?? Maybe you aren't talking to the right people. Or looking at polls where she's involved. She is consistently ranked as one of the most loved people in America and consistently tops hypothetical presidential polls and has for years. I know people who want her to run and love her. She would have easily beaten Biden. People don't care as much about experience as you think.

I think the comparison to Oprah and The Rock shows that you really underestimate how popular and respected Michelle Obama is, whether it's warranted or not.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Umm what? How is picking the VP collusion in any way? I have no love for Biden or the Dem party, but I don't see how collusion fits here.

Joe will not be doing the picking, he won't even have a say.  I still have a hard time believing that Joe will actually be the D's pick in the end.

This is just fun stuff to think about.  Like we always do with politics. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

To each his own, but "not hated" ?? Maybe you aren't talking to the right people. Or looking at polls where she's involved. She is consistently ranked as one of the most loved people in America and consistently tops hypothetical presidential polls and has for years. I know people who want her to run and love her. She would have easily beaten Biden. People don't care as much about experience as you think.

Outside of people that are just being racist a$$h@!es, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about her, I have really only heard high praise for her (except for the part about how she ruined school lunches but then lets her kids smoke and drink, but really who cares).  I did not think anyone disliked her.