Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I've heard this sentiment a few times now. It's kind of like saying that if my spouse were the chief of surgery at a hospital, then I'd have surgical experience through being around her. Or if I were the CEO of a company, then my spouse would have experience with running a company. It's nonsense.

People do this ALL THE TIME.  It is so annoying.

13 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I get what you're saying, but let's not act like Michelle is just Barack's Wife. Bachelors from Princeton, JD from Harvard. She's ran non-profits, been the Dean of Students at U of Chicago, VP of U of Chicago Hospitals, she's sat on the board for multiple companies, and that's not to mention her accomplishments as a First Lady. I don't like the idea of her being VP because I hate the idea of one family having that much power - but Michelle is more than the CEO's wife or the Suregon's wife in your example.  

I think she would be a slam dunk pick.

I don't think her work history means anything but she would help Joe get elected and she is a people person.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:30 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

I get what you're saying, but let's not act like Michelle is just Barack's Wife. Bachelors from Princeton, JD from Harvard. She's ran non-profits, been the Dean of Students at U of Chicago, VP of U of Chicago Hospitals, she's sat on the board for multiple companies, and that's not to mention her accomplishments as a First Lady. I don't like the idea of her being VP because I hate the idea of one family having that much power - but Michelle is more than the CEO's wife or the Suregon's wife in your example.  

I was responding to the idea that being First Lady gives her more experience in the executive branch of government than the other candidates, who have decades of experience in government including some in the executive branch. Michelle has experience in other areas, sure, but being First Lady doesn't give her more experience than actually serving in government.

Amy Klobuchar didn't prosecute officer at center of George Floyd's death after previous conduct complaints

Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

Ex-officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck charged with murder

Derek Chauvin, who was fired on Tuesday along with three other officers involved in the detainment of Floyd, was taken into custody Friday and faces charges of 3rd-degree murder and manslaughter, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced.

Freeman said he anticipated more charges to come, possibly against some of the other three officers.

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

IMO she made the right decision at the time. At least as far as this guy is concerned.

Looks like Klobuchar didn't make any of the officer-related shooting decisions but instead left it to a grand jury, so can't really blame her in these cases:

Klobuchar, who has been floated as a possible VP pick for presumed Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, also did not criminally charge other cops involved in more than two dozen officer-involved fatalities that took place during her time as prosecutor from 1999 to 2006, according to the Star Tribune.

Those decisions were left to a grand jury, a common practice at the time, according to the newspaper.

But as @Moiraine pointed out, there were other reasons to criticize Klobuchar for her time as county attorney.

• 2 weeks later...

Val Demings or Atlanta Mayor Bottoms as VP??   The article below says they were both long shots that may get a much closer look now.  I was impressed wt Demings as a impeachment mgr.  I don't know much about

Bottoms other than seeing her on TV this past week because of the protests.  

Thoughts??

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/08/biden-veep-search-304854

In the last week alone, two prospects who were initially not considered among the top tier contenders have suddenly burst into contention: Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and Florida Rep. Val Demings.   Both have been tapped by the Biden campaign to act as leading surrogates amid the unrest and have seen their national media exposure intensify.

Bottoms is being vetted as a Biden running mate, two sources with knowledge of the discussions confirm to POLITICO. Demings, a former Orlando police chief, has previously confirmed she’s being vetted.

45 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Val Demings or Atlanta Mayor Bottoms as VP??   The article below says they were both long shots that may get a much closer look now.  I was impressed wt Demings as a impeachment mgr.  I don't know much about

Bottoms other than seeing her on TV this past week because of the protests.  

Thoughts??

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/08/biden-veep-search-304854

There was chatter in Atlanta that Bottoms was already picked about a month ago and that it has been held under wraps.

• 2 weeks later...

Washington (CNN)Sen. Amy Klobuchar on Thursday night removed herself from consideration to be Joe Biden's running mate, citing the ongoing national discussion about racial injustice and police brutality to suggest the former vice president should choose a woman of color.

"This is a historic moment, and America must seize on this moment. And I truly believe as, I actually told the vice president last night when I called him, that I think this is a moment to put a woman of color on that ticket," Klobuchar, a Minnesota Democrat, told MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/politics/biden-vice-president-amy-klobuchar/index.html

I'm not a big fan of her making these comments publicly. She should have just let it play out and take the loss, even if she did withdraw her name. Whoever Biden picks should be the best person, and out of selfishness (IMO) she's making it look like she's providing an opportunity for someone. E.g. I like Stacey Abrams more than Klobuchar, and if Biden is smart he didn't need Klobuchar to leave the race to make way for Abrams. That may be the case for other picks too, I'm just not as familiar with them.

It could be she didn't mean it this way at all, just like Biden probably didn't mean anything negative in promising the spot to a woman, but these comments diminish the pick's worthiness of being the picked due solely to their merits.

The best way for him to have worded it in the first place was to say that out of the best options for VP, many are women and there's a good chance he'll pick a woman.

When there are 2 candidates, and one's a woman and one's a man, and they have equal abilities, I want the woman chosen. If one is a minority and the other isn't, and they have equal abilities, I want the minority chosen. Simply because we don't have a proportionate # of women/minorities in positions of power. But I don't want women or minorities picked because they're women or minorities if they aren't at least as good as their White and/or male counterparts.

• Plus1 1