Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've read a few stories now in which many African American leaders believe that Liz Warren would be the best VP because her policies are perceived to help the AA community.  The articles note that she is prepared (policies well thought out and ready to go) and has shown support of AAs by marching in several recent justice marches. 

Do you agree with this assessment - should Liz Warren be selected by Biden because of her progressive policies and in spite of the fact that she is not African American?   It has been stated that Biden needs to take a hold of the moment and chose an African American woman as his VP. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/504218-warren-top-choice-for-vp-for-some-black-progressives

Some Black progressives are calling for Joe Biden to pick Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) as his running mate, even as the Biden campaign faces pressure to select a woman of color. 

Progressives making the case for Warren say her experience and policy ideas make her the best choice. 

“Among the serious contenders, I do feel like she is the best option,” said Jorden Giger, a Black Lives Matter organizer in South Bend, Ind. “She has a plan for a lot of things that matter, and she seems to be ready to go on day one given her breadth of experience.” 

“Folks are saying we need a Black woman, and I understand where they’re coming from,” said Angela Peoples, the director of the organizing group Black Womxn For and creative digital firm The South.

“But what’s most important and what needs to be prioritized is leadership that is committed and is pushing for these big structural shifts in our country and people who are rooted and listening to our community,” Peoples said.

The Hill talked to a half dozen Black progressive activists and operatives who are supportive of Warren for vice president.

“She has had one of the most progressive agendas for Black people,” said one political operative, who asked to speak on background because she did not want to be seen publicly taking a side on whom Biden should pick. “All of her plans from criminal justice to child care and the economy have a racial lens, and that’s not by accident.”

Warren, Peoples said, “lifted up race” across issues from education to housing and in businesses.

Others making the case for Warren acknowledge the desire for a Black woman to be Biden’s running mate but argue that Warren is best positioned to champion the kinds of changes demanded by the Black Lives Matter movement.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I've read a few stories now in which many African American leaders believe that Liz Warren would be the best VP because her policies are perceived to help the AA community.  The articles note that she is prepared (policies well thought out and ready to go) and has shown support of AAs by marching in several recent justice marches. 

Do you agree with this assessment - should Liz Warren be selected by Biden because of her progressive policies and in spite of the fact that she is not African American?   It has been stated that Biden needs to take a hold of the moment and chose an African American woman as his VP. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/504218-warren-top-choice-for-vp-for-some-black-progressives

I think she's better than Harris and Deming by a pretty wide margin.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

She should be the headliner and the article should be about who Warren wants to pick as her running mate.

That may very well be the case in 2024 - unless the Dems move towards youth.

18 minutes ago, QMany said:

I would rather have Senator Warren serve as Majority Leader. 

Schumer may have a word to say about that.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think she's better than Harris and Deming by a pretty wide margin.

Even if I don't agree with all of her policies, I think she has prepared herself to lead and because of that I feel more comfortable with her.  I have doubts if Joe can be all there for 4 years (maybe Russian bots are fueling those doubts :o:dunno) There are attributes that Harris and Deming bring to the table but from an experience & preparation perspective,  I believe Warren  would be better.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why? Is he going to come out of where ever he's been hiding?

Schumer is the current minority leader and I suspect he will slide into the majority leader spot when the Dems take the senate. Are you saying he's been hiding during the recent protests?  I trying to figure your your statement :dunno

Just now, TGHusker said:

Schumer is the current minority leader and I suspect he will slide into the majority leader spot when the Dems take the senate. Are you saying he's been hiding during the recent protests?  I trying to figure your your statement :dunno

I'm saying Schumer has been an absent "leader" for the last 3+ years.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I'm saying Schumer has been an absent "leader" for the last 3+ years.

Ok, I see that from a policy perspective.  His hands are somewhat tied by being in that minority.  He has spoken up against Trump but as you note, he hasn't been a leading force.  I can see your point from a policy perspective - if Joe wins and the Dems take the Senate - Warren, as majority leader, would have the avenue to push her agenda from the Senate and get her policies into law - with a willing Biden in the WH - perhaps a case of the tail wagging the dog. 

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, I see that from a policy perspective.  His hands are somewhat tied by being in that minority.  He has spoken up against Trump but as you note, he hasn't been a leading force.  I can see your point from a policy perspective - if Joe wins and the Dems take the Senate - Warren, as majority leader, would have the avenue to push her agenda from the Senate and get her policies into law - with a willing Biden in the WH - perhaps a case of the tail wagging the dog. 

Exactly. Schumer could have been replaced by a burrito the last few years and I doubt anyone would even notice.

• Haha 1