Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, sho said:

Personally, I want a more progressive VP choice for a more centrist top of the ticket.   Especially with M4A.   I think right now we see the trouble with healthcare tied mostly to employment.  Harris flip-flopping on that based on her donors and Biden not for it, to me both will be in the hands of health insurance companies and not be for the people.   Neither of these really inspires me to believe that progressive agendas will be pushed for or a priority for these two.   

And I'm not sure she helps Biden's campaign with minorities and females.   She never polled well with minorities, she never had strong female support during her failed run.   Personally there are 3-4 minority females that I would pick in front of her, and I think it would be important for the candidate to be from the South to help in that region.   Harris adds nothing to Joe's campaign.

The pick of Harris (If that is the pick) disenfranchises the youth, and future of the party, which are more progressive in ideology and I think it would have been wise to have a more progressive leaning candidate to have a wider appeal for the dems as a whole.   Biden will get the centrist and some independants.   A progressive VP choice would have kept the more voters from potentially voting 3rd party or sitting out.

Now for me the vote is between two awful tickets or wasting a vote on third party. 

Well said.  It seems that of the 3 most viable candidates (IMO) of Abrams, Warren and Harris that Biden is picking the least appealing one.  I really would like to see him pick Abrams fwiw.

6 minutes ago, sho said:

Personally, I want a more progressive VP choice for a more centrist top of the ticket.   Especially with M4A.   I think right now we see the trouble with healthcare tied mostly to employment.  Harris flip-flopping on that based on her donors and Biden not for it, to me both will be in the hands of health insurance companies and not be for the people.   Neither of these really inspires me to believe that progressive agendas will be pushed for or a priority for these two.   

And I'm not sure she helps Biden's campaign with minorities and females.   She never polled well with minorities, she never had strong female support during her failed run.   Personally there are 3-4 minority females that I would pick in front of her, and I think it would be important for the candidate to be from the South to help in that region.   Harris adds nothing to Joe's campaign.

The pick of Harris (If that is the pick) disenfranchises the youth, and future of the party, which are more progressive in ideology and I think it would have been wise to have a more progressive leaning candidate to have a wider appeal for the dems as a whole.   Biden will get the centrist and some independants.   A progressive VP choice would have kept the more voters from potentially voting 3rd party or sitting out.

Now for me the vote is between two awful tickets or wasting a vote on third party. 

you do realize that if trump wins he will be running an active anti-progressive agenda.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I've just moved several items out of here into the tangent P&R thread in the Shed. Please keep this thread on topic.

Thank you. I would humbly request any discussion of Trump's or Biden's mental health is also removed to that thread. We don't need that kind of speculation in these threads.

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, sho said:

Curious to why you don’t think Kamala is progressive. Her platform is not too different from Bernies, her biggest difference is Medicare for all - which she originally supported - she has since split the difference between Biden and Bernie. Her track record on vote tracking sites lists her as more progressive than Bernie (which I agree is BS), but those sites show her votes align with Bernie about as much as anyone in the senate. 

25 minutes ago, commando said:

you do realize that if trump wins he will be running an active anti-progressive agenda.

I understand that, I'm saying I am not a fan of either option and feel the Dems dropped the ball.  For me, picked someone in my bottom 3 out of the 20+ that were running.  And if Harris is the VP, she was in my bottom 3rd of choices.   It's an awful ticket for me to have to vote for if I don't vote 3rd party.  I won't vote 3rd or trump, but I'm not remotely happy about who is left to vote for after I eliminate those other options.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Thank you. I would humbly request any discussion of Trump's or Biden's mental health is also removed to that thread. We don't need that kind of speculation in these threads.

From this thread or a separate one? I did a quick scan of this one and didn't see mental health discussions but my eyes may not be functioning well this morning.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

From this thread or a separate one? I did a quick scan of this one and didn't see mental health discussions but my eyes may not be functioning well this morning.

It's in another thread. Starts with this, but there's other stuff about Trump's mental health, too.  I just don't think this is productive conversation since none of us are privy to the state of their mental health.

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I like Joe Biden. He belongs nowhere near the oval office at this point in his life. I can't imagine the most stressful job in the world mixes well with the onset of dementia.

24 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Curious to why you don’t think Kamala is progressive. Her platform is not too different from Bernies, her biggest difference is Medicare for all - which she originally supported - she has since split the difference between Biden and Bernie. Her track record on vote tracking sites lists her as more progressive than Bernie (which I agree is BS), but those sites show her votes align with Bernie about as much as anyone in the senate. 

For me, this says it better than I could:

As attorney general, she declined to support two ballot measures to end the death penalty. She declined to support making drug possession a misdemeanor. She declined to support legalizing pot. She declined to support a ballot measure reforming California’s brutal three-strikes law. The point is: She had power. She kept most of it in reserve.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/can-progressives-forgive-kamala-harris-her-past-moderation.html

Also, her flip-flopping on M4A, her hard stance on truancy, she is not a person who I truly believe is progressive and will push when the going gets tough for progressive ideology.  I think she is more self-serving than people-serving. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, sho said:

For me, this says it better than I could:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/can-progressives-forgive-kamala-harris-her-past-moderation.html

Also, her flip-flopping on M4A, her hard stance on truancy, she is not a person who I truly believe is progressive and will push when the going gets tough for progressive ideology.  I think she is more self-serving than people-serving. 

She was tough on crime as a prosecutor. If that’s your opinion, I can see why you feel that way. I’d argue as a black woman, if she was soft on crime she would have never been able to reach the heights she reached. Her platform as a senator has been very progressive, but to each their own. I don’t think you’d find one Veep that everyone will agree on. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I've just moved several items out of here into the tangent P&R thread in the Shed. Please keep this thread on topic.

I support you in your efforts - even though it was my poor joke that set the thread to get off topic. 

10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

She was tough on crime as a prosecutor. If that’s your opinion, I can see why you feel that way. I’d argue as a black woman, if she was soft on crime she would have never been able to reach the heights she reached. Her platform as a senator has been very progressive, but to each their own. I don’t think you’d find one Veep that everyone will agree on. 

It's not that I think she should be 'soft' on crime..  I am against the death penalty.  I think her stance on marijuana and possession came too late and was more self-serving than a true reversal.   Her hard stance on truancy actually made things worse.   

And I agree, there will never be a perfect candidate.   I wish there would have been a better candidate that strengthened Joe.  I don't think (assuming it's Harris) she does that.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Who are your top 3 for VP then?

I understand the rest of your post.

In alphabetic order:

Stacey Abrams

Tammy Baldwin

Val Demings

I think all will help get the progressive and female vote.  Stacey and Val help with the AA vote, but Joe polls there strong.  I'd actually have him pick Tammy first.  She'll secure WI, and is a strong progressive that will balance Joe.

If we aren't limiting it to females, I'd also want someone like Castro before Harris.

Heck, at this stage I'd take Marriane Williamson as Veep over Harris.   :lol:

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

And ripping on appearance?  

This is not an Iowa Hawkeye basketball thread.  

For 3 years it has been mental illness and orange man...

• Plus1 1