Red field turf coming to Memorial Stadium

Just kidding, but I remember people wanting that in 2013 when they last replaced the turf in the stadium. I'm just hoping this time we can get something with less of that lime green fake looking grass and maybe subdue the green candy cane vibe a little bit. 

https://journalstar.com/news/local/lincoln-marathon-finish-line-moving-from-memorial-stadium-as-turf/article_ab6305a1-4972-5da5-ae1f-91d90bfc3046.amp.html

• Plus1 1

I was figuring we had to be getting very close to replacement. 

Before they replaced it in 2013, it was starting to look awful, especially in the pigment of the red. That turf lasted 8 years, this one is going into year 8. Somehow seems they kept it in a lot nicer shape this time around.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, Landlord said:

I was figuring we had to be getting very close to replacement. 

Before they replaced it in 2013, it was starting to look awful, especially in the pigment of the red. That turf lasted 8 years, this one is going into year 8. Somehow seems they kept it in a lot nicer shape this time around.

Honestly they have played a lot less football on the turf the past 7 seasons.  About half as much blocking and tackling and virtually no pancakes!   This keeps our field looking like new!  Lol

And seriously - I didnt ljke the alternating shades of green but that was a Callahan deal.  The idea is it does make it easier for players and viewers to tell distances - especially receivers looking to run routes to move the chains etc.  

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Honestly they have played a lot less football on the turf the past 7 seasons.  About half as much blocking and tackling and virtually no pancakes!   This keeps our field looking like new!  Lol

And seriously - I didnt ljke the alternating shades of green but that was a Callahan deal.  The idea is it does make it easier for players and viewers to tell distances - especially receivers looking to run routes to move the chains etc.  

Not a Callahan deal

They're rolling out the carpet at Memorial Stadium. No, it isn't red. But the new FieldTurf for the Nebraska football team is different enough that it surely will create some lively discussion among Husker fans.

The field is striped a light green for five yards, a darker green the next five yards. It alternates that way from end zone to end zone. Fields at Utah and Oregon sport similar patterns.

Why Nebraska? Chris Anderson, a spokeswoman for the Nebraska athletic department, said the new look is to honor the tradition of Memorial Stadium from the years of coach Bob Devaney.

"Look back at Memorial Stadium prior to the Astroturf," Anderson said, "and it was often mowed in a pattern that looked that way."

Pictures of the Memorial Stadium grass field from the 1960s do indicate a light green, dark green pattern, much like well-manicured baseball fields.

"Bill Shepard did so many things with that grass," said Don Bryant, former Nebraska sports information director, referring to the former groundskeeper for Memorial Stadium. "They used to mow it sometimes in different directions."

https://journalstar.com/sports/football/college/new-two-toned-fieldturf-subject-of-discussion/article_0c1d9f73-d8db-5ff9-8ab4-81b436c730f3.html

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, GSG said:

Hm.  I sure remember it going in for Callahan and him saying the five yard color variation was so it was easier to know if a player was in the right area / distance dow field.  They may said it looked mown directionally but I believe it wemt in when they took the high crown out.  Callahan thot the crown hurt pass completion % as QB was higher than WR elevation wise.   

TO wanted crown as he felt his RBs were faster getting to the outside by running downhill.   He also felt opposing QBs tended to overthrow the sideline out passes.

I could be misremembering the timing but I am sure I heard these things at the time.  No big deal but I kind of liked the color variance in appearance and it seemed easier to judge yards gained on run plays.  I sat in endzone seats (the best place to watch running football and O line play!