***The 2020 Offensive Line***

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I'll just go ahead and say it: The right guard spot still doesn't really seem like it has a whole lot going for it. There'll be more depth, and that's good. But I wasn't exactly impressed by the play of Wilson nor Hixson.

*Edit: Maybe those two guys will have made some strides in strength in the offseason. That could definitely help.

Piper could be in play there.  Plus there is a chance for Nouilli to get eligible.   I am also hoping Wilson has a bounce back year.    Who knows maybe a darkhorse like Miller or Sickterman jumps in the fray. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw a guess at a starting OL group today that included Piper at Guard.  Not a lock but not out of the question either.

That isn't exactly breaking news.  But it made me think about our OL situation from last year in a way I hadn't previously.

If Piper ends up winning a starting spot this year, the changes from last year would be as follows:

LT - Jaimes still very solid

LG - Hixson (guy who started every game in 2019) replaced by a redshirt freshman from Class C Nebraska school

C - Jurgens - guy moved from Tight End a few months before the season

RG - Wilson (guy who started every game in 2019) so badly needed replaced that we moved a starting RT to his spot (even though we don't have any too many tackles)

RT - MFarniok - guy playing out of position moved inside to be replaced by a redshirt freshman

So basically we had one starter who had any experience that couldn't be replaced by a freshman (or was a freshman).  Yikes.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Saw a guess at a starting OL group today that included Piper at Guard.  Not a lock but not out of the question either.

That isn't exactly breaking news.  But it made me think about our OL situation from last year in a way I hadn't previously.

If Piper ends up winning a starting spot this year, the changes from last year would be as follows:

LT - Jaimes still very solid

LG - Hixson (guy who started every game in 2019) replaced by a redshirt freshman from Class C Nebraska school

C - Jurgens - guy moved from Tight End a few months before the season

RG - Wilson (guy who started every game in 2019) so badly needed replaced that we moved a starting RT to his spot (even though we don't have any too many tackles)

RT - MFarniok - guy playing out of position moved inside to be replaced by a redshirt freshman

So basically we had one starter who had any experience that couldn't be replaced by a freshman (or was a freshman).  Yikes.

The lack of development from Wilson, who I think started as a freshman, has been a pretty big disappointment.  Sounds like he was starting because there just wasn't anyone better than him on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Decked said:

Would be nice to see a lineup of 

LT: Jaimes

LG: Piper/Bando

C: Jurgens
RG: Farniok

RT: Benhart/Banks

Please god no more Wilson or Hixson. Either way I think we will be better than last year on the OL. 

Not sure on Banks for this year - I would guess Gaylord would be the backup at RT - but other than that I think that's pretty much how it's going to work.

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not sure on Banks for this year - I would guess Gaylord would be the backup at RT - but other than that I think that's pretty much how it's going to work.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Gaylord make a play for the LG spot although they probably want him for depth at RT 

12 minutes ago, Decked said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Gaylord make a play for the LG spot although they probably want him for depth at RT 

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be pretty surprised if Gaylord was out there outside of field goals/extra points. Not sure what the contribution rate is for 6th year guys without past playing time and coming off a season ending injury is, but it can't be high. But I like the options a lot more this year! Curious how close Lynn/Anderson/Fritzsche are, we've already got Benhart, Piper, and Banks at least pushing for PT from the 2019 class. But the former 3 all needed a little more physical development than those guys. 

• Fire 1
On 3/6/2020 at 11:26 AM, suh_fan93 said:

Will be interesting to see how Corcoran develops and at what pace also.  Obvious sleeper of the bunch being a frosh.

I think they try to take it slow with Corcoran. Pretty similar career path as Benhart. Red-shirt but play him in at least 4 games behind Jamies. Someone like Bando can be the back-up the rest of the games. 

Need to get Corcoran some experience so he is ready to go the following year when Jamies is in the NFL. 

"Through talking during this time, I think we're going to probably start (Farniok) out at right guard, just expecting there to be a younger player at right tackle potentially," Nebraska coach Scott Frost said. "Having a veteran on the left side with Jaimes and a veteran with Matt on the right side of the line will help whoever's playing left guard and whoever's playing right tackle.

I know everyone is excited about Benhart, but there's a good chance he's not better than Farniok at this point. I expect growing pains. That said the combo of Farniok and Benhart is likely to be better than Wilson and Farniok. If Benhart is better than Farniok as a Freshman than our line is going to be vastly improved. Wilson and Hixson have had their struggles but should at least provide solid depth if they don't start.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I know everyone is excited about Benhart, but there's a good chance he's not better than Farniok at this point. I expect growing pains. That said the combo of Farniok and Benhart is likely to be better than Wilson and Farniok. If Benhart is better than Farniok as a Freshman than our line is going to be vastly improved. Wilson and Hixson have had their struggles but should at least provide solid depth if they don't start.

I actually think Benhart is going to do great.  I think Austin the best OL coach we've had in a long time.