***The 2020 Offensive Line***

23 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I know everyone is excited about Benhart, but there's a good chance he's not better than Farniok at this point. I expect growing pains. That said the combo of Farniok and Benhart is likely to be better than Wilson and Farniok. If Benhart is better than Farniok as a Freshman than our line is going to be vastly improved. Wilson and Hixson have had their struggles but should at least provide solid depth if they don't start.

That is the key many forget, Hixon and Wilson could be very good quality depth. Something that we have sorely been lacking.  

• Plus1 2

I wouldnt sleep on Banks.  They will get him on the field this year.  They thought about burning his RS last year but figured it wouldnt be worth it, same as Benhart.  Banks will take over for Jaimes next year but has practiced at LG also. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see Piper as the starting LG sometime during the season.  I think Corcoran will RS and take over at LG and Piper will switch to RG. 

2 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I know everyone is excited about Benhart, but there's a good chance he's not better than Farniok at this point. I expect growing pains. That said the combo of Farniok and Benhart is likely to be better than Wilson and Farniok. If Benhart is better than Farniok as a Freshman than our line is going to be vastly improved. Wilson and Hixson have had their struggles but should at least provide solid depth if they don't start.

Benhart is better than Farinok at tackle by the simple fact that he can actually move his hips like a tackle and this move actually gives us enough flexibility that we aren't hamstrung into running to one side or the other depending on the call simply because the backside doesn't have an effective puller.

One of the biggest issues the past 2 years is that a huge chunk of the Scott Frost run game relies on having multiple offensive linemen pull on the same play. Nearly 3/5'ths of Frost's run game playbook relies on at least 2 pulling linemen.  (generally pulling both guards when running power, pulling a tackle and a guard when running dart and actually pulling 3 linemen when running the pin and pull) and we simply haven't had enough guys that can do that well and with any consistency. Farinok struggled to do this well at Tackle but should do a lot better as a guard and Benhart just on film alone looks to be MUCH better at that then Farinok at the tackle position. 

Aside from anything else they bring to the table if those two can be good at that one aspect this season it opens up a significant part of the playbook that Frost simply hasn't been able to run at Nebraska effectively thus far. Not only opening up the run game but making the bubble screen not suck. That along with a deep threat WR will make this offense a REAL threat again and lead to big chunk plays.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

I imagine the staff would love nothing more than for Benhart to turn into the next Jaimes.  Just plug him in as a frosh starter and forget about him for 4 years.  I think we see a massive and I mean massive leap with Jurgens.  The dude is only a RS Soph and switched positions essentially on the fly.  When he puts it all together he's going to be really freaking good because his athleticism is pretty rare for an O-Lineman, especially at C.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

12 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

That is the key many forget, Hixon and Wilson could be very good quality depth. Something that we have sorely been lacking.  

asking a lot of Benhart as a freshman.....it's going to take awhile for him to be consistent, he is a big body, which is helpful.

1 minute ago, hunter49 said:

asking a lot of Benhart as a freshman.....it's going to take awhile for him to be consistent, he is a big body, which is helpful.

They will lean on Benharts run blocking skills and the combo of Farniok-Benhart on the right side should enable NU to be a strong right-handed running team.

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

They will lean on Benharts run blocking skills and the combo of Farniok-Benhart on the right side should enable NU to be a strong right-handed running team.

The biggest remaining question I see that will need answered is,  where do we put the Sears Trophy?

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Even though he played sparingly that's what stood out about him.  That physically he was ready.  He handled himself good out there in what time he had.  As far as pass pro I am hopeful.

5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Even though he played sparingly that's what stood out about him.  That physically he was ready.  He handled himself good out there in what time he had.  As far as pass pro I am hopeful.

When Benhart was recruited, they always mentioned his strength being run blocking.  That's why he will settle in at RT, as a lot of teams like to be "right-handed" running teams.  I'm not sure how Frost prefers it, but it makes sense to me.  In a zone running scheme the RB's strong leg is probably his right leg, so if he's going right, it's easier to plant that right foot and cut upfield.

Jaimes, Piper/Bando, Jurgens, Farniok, Benhart.

Of all the new guys Greg Austin has, it would be nice to see someone in the next 2 years make some noise and make their presence known when we have 4 starting spots becoming available. Beginning with Benhart at RT.

We can’t afford to have OL be a weakness of this team anymore to have B1G success.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When Benhart was recruited, they always mentioned his strength being run blocking.  That's why he will settle in at RT, as a lot of teams like to be "right-handed" running teams.  I'm not sure how Frost prefers it, but it makes sense to me.  In a zone running scheme the RB's strong leg is probably his right leg, so if he's going right, it's easier to plant that right foot and cut upfield.

Also could be teams end up being right-handed running teams because they have a right handed qb's which makes the left side their blind side, so the best pass-pro guys end up on the left side.   That doesn't rule out the possiblity that they could be good at both but it probably changes the odds a bit that your stronger run guys end up on the right then.   Also pass-pro guys tend to be a little quicker and maybe not as massive.  Just my guess. 

Would like to know how many bad snaps an average center does and how many a good center does as I have know idea of what the metric should be?

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Jaimes, Piper/Bando, Jurgens, Farniok, Benhart.

Of all the new guys Greg Austin has, it would be nice to see someone in the next 2 years make some noise and make their presence known when we have 4 starting spots becoming available. Beginning with Benhart at RT.

We can’t afford to have OL be a weakness of this team anymore to have B1G success.

I think this will be the first year in a looong time that it won't be a weakness. At times last year it wasn't, but many times it was. Also excited to see who steps up as well, got some interesting young guys

• Plus1 1

Theyve added some rated recruits and I think our 1st string should be improved this year but the depth remains ify.  We needed spring practice to get to where we had most of a second string.   Hope they get there by game 3.  

Id like to add 4 more high 3/low 4 star to the numbers this class.  But probably tough to do. 

Gotta win some this year.