***The 2020 Offensive Line***

10 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

I thought Corcoran might get a look at LG as well with his RS off, but I guess it's a good thing he's already emerged as the clear heir apparent at LT.  

I get the building depth statement in this Covid climate, but the first priority has always got to be preparing the 5 on the field.  What good is depth if the surface has holes in it? 

Fisher said something similar after year 1, how year 1 was about building his room, & I thought it was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a coach say.  

I don't disagree necessarily, but on the flip side another of the dumbest coach quotes I've heard was the opposite from Cavanaugh about the oline room - someone asked him about depth and he basically said "I only have time for the starting five." Which also doesn't work great because you start from scratch when there's an injury or when they leave.

There's a balance, and I don't really have a problem with a wider focus in a transition year or like this year. On the flip side, what good is a strong surface if all it takes is an injury or positive test to expose the hole behind it? We haven't had either recently. And most of the questions are hyper focused on depth because the assumption is we will have positive tests that rule players out. And likely more than the normal number of injuries with the weird lead up to the season.

• 2 weeks later...