***The 2020 Offensive Line***

4 hours ago, Canadian Fan said:

It would be interesting to see final blocking grades, but it wouldn't surprise me if Corcoran had highest grade of any OL.

Great foundational piece to start next season.

vs. Rutgers - Overall - Pass Block - Run Block

MFarniok - 58.4 - 83.8 - 54.2

Corcoran - 56.5 - 84.7 - 60.4

Benhart - 56.4 - 82.1 - 58.4

Piper - 55.1 - 79.6 - 57.0

Jurgens - 52.6 - 64.4 - 53.0

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Canadian Fan said:

Anyone have any insights-predictions about who will compete for starting guard positions next season?  Do we have anyone who could push Jurgens out at center so he could play guard?  Or is he too small to play guard in the B1G?  I’m interested to see if Lutovsky can come in and push to take over the RG spot from Farniok.

Piper and Jurgens are pretty well locked in.  Obviously Farniok could come back.  If not Hixson and Sichterman would be the upperclassmen with Lynn and Banks being the younger guys.  No idea on any of them other than Hixson and Sichterman haven't done much in four years.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

vs. Rutgers - Overall - Pass Block - Run Block

Piper - 55.1 - 79.6 - 57.0

Jurgens - 52.6 - 64.4 - 53.0

This is why I don’t take these PFF rankings seriously. We demolished these guys at the LOS especially in the second half. 

1 minute ago, Decked said:

This is why I don’t take these PFF rankings seriously. We demolished these guys at the LOS especially in the second half. 

Eh, I don't know exactly how their rating works or how it's weighted.  We ripped off several long runs which helped the total.  But if they just made the block they were supposed to, I don't know if that's a 70 or an 80 or a 90 or how that works.  Maybe they have to pancake the guy to get in the 90s.  Jaimes was one of the highest-graded guys in the B1G last year at 72.3.

But we also missed on A LOT of blocks.  Part of our goal-line struggles were we were just flat missing guys up front.  

So if you have a nice block that springs a guy for a long run (85 maybe) then whiff on the next play (10 maybe), you're average isn't great.

• Plus1 1

Anyone have any insights-predictions about who will compete for starting guard positions next season?  Do we have anyone who could push Jurgens out at center so he could play guard?  Or is he too small to play guard in the B1G?  I’m interested to see if Lutovsky can come in and push to take over the RG spot from Farniok.

I thought Broc Bando was coming on at one point but he seems to have went incognito.  This staff doesn't seem to be afraid to move guys around to get the best 5 on the field so I wouldn't be surprised to see Brent Banks on the field, his name has been brought up a fair amount.  Hixson has started a year already but obviously the coaches are looking for more.  I have never Lynn's name mentioned by coaches, obviously he's still young.  And I know he was projected as a tackle and a major project but I had really high hopes for Jimmy Fritzsche..  My guess is Corcoran-Piper-Jurgens-Banks-Benhart unless Wilson or Farniok return.  

18 minutes ago, Decked said:

@Mav Guess I'm confused how Farniok graded higher than Corcoran and Benhart, but he was worse on the run, and only better better than Benhart pass blocking.

I normally wouldn't bet on a true Fre starting at RG, but that kids film is highly impressive.  Not because he mauls inferior competition, but his footwork, and short area quickness standout.  The way he works off combo blocks and redirects in pass pro surprised cuz he's built like a refrigerator.  If Farniok doesn't come back, a lot of dogs fighting for 1 bone, hard to say because we haven't seen any of them play, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lutovsky and the CSU transfer rise above.  

Put me in the camp that thinks the Jurgens position switch was a good idea, but 2001 should have been the target for him actually starting.  I think we'll see all those growing pains pay off next year.

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Piper and Jurgens are pretty well locked in.  Obviously Farniok could come back.  If not Hixson and Sichterman would be the upperclassmen with Lynn and Banks being the younger guys.  No idea on any of them other than Hixson and Sichterman haven't done much in four years.

What about Nouili? I haven't heard anything about him since joining