***The 2020 Offensive Line***

16 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

@Mav Guess I'm confused how Farniok graded higher than Corcoran and Benhart, but he was worse on the run, and only better better than Benhart pass blocking.

MFarniok - 58.4 - 83.8 - 54.2

Corcoran - 56.5 - 84.7 - 60.4

Benhart - 56.4 - 82.1 - 58.4 

Not sure on that I guess.  Farniok was the only one of the five OL without a number in the "Pass" column (not "Pass Block") - Corcoran and Benhart were really low in that column so it probably dragged their overall grade down.  But I'm not sure if that's a mistake or what that means.

7 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

I normally wouldn't bet on a true Fre starting at RG, but that kids film is highly impressive.  Not because he mauls inferior competition, but his footwork, and short area quickness standout.  The way he works off combo blocks and redirects in pass pro surprised cuz he's built like a refrigerator.  If Farniok doesn't come back, a lot of dogs fighting for 1 bone, hard to say because we haven't seen any of them play, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lutovsky and the CSU transfer rise above.  

Put me in the camp that thinks the Jurgens position switch was a good idea, but 2001 should have been the target for him actually starting.  I think we'll see all those growing pains pay off next year.

Oh yea I forgot about Nouili he should get in the mix as well.  We definitely have a lot of young talent on the line we just have to develop them.  I also think you're right about Jurgens.  He never even played offensive line let alone center, I think he finally turns the corner next year and we really start to see why the coaches have stuck with him.

• Haha 1

It was awesome to see Turner Corcoran playing out there last night. I don't know how you can't love the potential that he & Benhart have as tackles.

I continue to believe the more I see him play that Jurgens is not only serviceable but a good player.

So...assuming Piper continues his progression, the big question marks heading into next year are:

1. Does somebody step up and actually play above average at the right guard spot?

2. What does depth look like overall?

Frost/Austin have done a good job of recruiting on the offensive line. It's just that fans (myself included) don't want to hear "they're still a pretty young unit" heading into Year 4...but what can you do?

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Why this week before the last game? Wow. Not sure how I feel about that

Imagine you being in his shoes. You're on the cusp of becoming a multi-millionaire for your football ability. The last game means nothing, is being played 1,300 miles away, and the season was already a dumpster fire.

I'd probably not play the game.

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

It was awesome to see Turner Corcoran playing out there last night. I don't know how you can't love the potential that he & Benhart have as tackles.

I continue to believe the more I see him play that Jurgens is not only serviceable but a good player.

So...assuming Piper continues his progression, the big question marks heading into next year are:

1. Does somebody step up and actually play above average at the right guard spot?

2. What does depth look like overall?

Frost/Austin have done a good job of recruiting on the offensive line. It's just that fans (myself included) don't want to hear "they're still a pretty young unit" heading into Year 4...but what can you do?

Corcoran, Jurgens, Piper, Benhart and ??  The hope is that they all get physically stronger, add good weight, and become a tough, Big 10 offensive line.  Should have lots of games together as they mature.  I really like these guys.

9 minutes ago, admo said:

Corcoran, Jurgens, Piper, Benhart and ??  The hope is that they all get physically stronger, add good weight, and become a tough, Big 10 offensive line.  Should have lots of games together as they mature.  I really like these guys.

I agree, I like 'em a lot too and it looks like they all have a lot of fight in them. Just need to get them stronger, as you say.

• Plus1 1
On 12/19/2020 at 12:38 PM, Decked said:

This is why I don’t take these PFF rankings seriously. We demolished these guys at the LOS especially in the second half. 

Here's an example.  This is an effective running play.  Jurgens and Piper block well.  But Farniok completely whiffs.  We get away with it so it's easy to miss but I would think Farniok's grade on this play would be pretty bad.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, admo said:

Corcoran, Jurgens, Piper, Benhart and ??  The hope is that they all get physically stronger, add good weight, and become a tough, Big 10 offensive line.  Should have lots of games together as they mature.  I really like these guys

Not to nitpick, but I really worry that our S&C is having our OL focus too much on strength and not enough on quicknesses (with Farniok being the prime example of overemphasis on big muscle strength to the detriment of his feet slowing down). I really would have liked to have seen Farniok play this year about 15 pounds lighter and having spent his offseason on his quick twitch muscles.

• Plus1 1