Jump to content
Saunders

USA Today: Big Ten spring preview 2020

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

Big Ten spring preview: The key question for every team in nation's deepest conference

The Big Ten is the deepest conference in the Bowl Subdivision, with six teams in the top 20 in last season's final Amway Coaches Poll and at least as many drawing preseason Top 25 consideration heading into the start of spring drills.

This hasn't helped the league get over the hump. The Big Ten's last national championship came via Ohio State in 2014; the previous came again via the Buckeyes, in 2002. Other than OSU, in fact, no Big Ten program has claimed an outright national title since Penn State in 1986.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2020/03/04/big-ten-college-football-spring-preview-every-teams-question/4939202002/

 

 

Quote

 

Nebraska (April 18): Is there a quarterback competition?

Nebraska coach Scott Frost has played things closer and closer to the vest since taking over in early 2018, leaving no clear indication that the Cornhuskers will open things under center this spring and summer. Even if Frost does evaluate the position, junior Adrian Martinez is the heavy favorite to remain the starter for the third year in a row once he returns from offseason shoulder surgery. But he'd be challenged by redshirt freshman Luke McCaffrey, an elite athlete, and incoming freshman Logan Smothers.

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

If Frost feels the heat of his job performance going into 2020 then he really has to have a real honest QB competition.  He needs to field the best possible team this fall.  He really needs to find some wins and get to a bowl game and get to 7-6 or better imo.  Moos might want to discount snd hedge things another year or even two but I am not so sure he has that much time to show meaningful progress. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

The seat isn't anywhere close to warm until approaching the end of his contract if we're still a losing team year in and year out.

I mean, I don't think we would fire him after another losing season, but it absolutely should be hot if that happens.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

 

C'mon, let's get real folks: Coach Frost got left a dumpster fire of a program and he's having to rebuild from almost scratch.

 

The only way his seat becomes warm is if another coach is sitting on it before he gets back to his office. That's it. 

 

I agree, he needs a long leash to rebuild the program. That said, he's 9-15. There's some fair questions to be asked if he's still not found a 6-6 record after 3 years. Fired? No, but come on. Coaches have done far more with less in our own division. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, theknife said:

 

I agree, he needs a long leash to rebuild the program. That said, he's 9-15. There's some fair questions to be asked if he's still not found a 6-6 record after 3 years. Fired? No, but come on. Coaches have done far more with less in our own division. 

Based on the criticism already I dont see him getting another 5 years like this.  First - the recruiting well will start to dry up by Dec 2020 without some progress.  Me prrsonally I would keep him right there for several more seasons but I am not confident that the great majority are going to feel so lenient and understanding.  I think he started with about a 98% approval # but I would guess that’s down around 85% now.  He will lose another 10% if 2020 ends without a bowl of some sort.  Another 10% for 2021 if we end up negative again - and that assumes he keeps finding some four star recruits etc.  Those are gonna be harder sells each year as time goes on. 

He is OK - for now - but the clock is ticking and wont be reset on snooze too many more times.  

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If Frost feels the heat of his job performance going into 2020 then he really has to have a real honest QB competition.  He needs to field the best possible team this fall.  He really needs to find some wins and get to a bowl game and get to 7-6 or better imo.  Moos might want to discount snd hedge things another year or even two but I am not so sure he has that much time to show meaningful progress. 

"Eye roll"...

 

We know you think LM should be starting.  Frost is Fielding what he considers best every single week.  He wants to win, despite your opinion of his decision making.

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

"Eye roll"...

 

We know you think LM should be starting.  Frost is Fielding what he considers best every single week.  He wants to win, despite your opinion of his decision making.

I have not said LM should be starting.  I have said Frost needs to try something besides another 2019 like season of offense he got with Adrian.  It maybe Vedral. Maybe Smothers. Maybe Adrian with some substantial changes in plays etc. Cant be more of the same or we will get similar results. If we are still in buildjng for the outyears then we probably need a younger QB to be developing at the same time.  In my view the future is 2020 not 2023. 

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure who will be the starting QB come fall, but if Frost picks AM to be starter and AM has the same type of season 6 games in as last year, then someone else better be given a shot to start the final 6 or 7 games or his judgement will start to come into question.  Neb can’t win this coming year without a big improvement in QB play.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, theknife said:

I mean, I don't think we would fire him after another losing season, but it absolutely should be hot if that happens.

It won’t even be warm. The days of NU’s coaching carousel every 3-5 years are over. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I have not said LM should be starting.  I have said Frost needs to try something besides another 2019 like season of offense he got with Adrian.  It maybe Vedral. Maybe Smothers. Maybe Adrian with some substantial changes in plays etc. Cant be more of the same or we will get similar results. If we are still in buildjng for the outyears then we probably need a younger QB to be developing at the same time.  In my view the future is 2020 not 2023. 

I completely get your view.  The eyeroll was directed at the field the best team comment.  I believe there's a lot that fans don't get to see that goes into the decisions on game day.  Here's to good QB play in 2020...  GBR

Share this post


Link to post

IMHO, AM rolls out against Purdue.  If he struggles, Frost will look at other options. Frost knows more than we do how important getting to a bowl game is for the team and ultimately recruiting....

 

I am also optimistic that Lubick will bring a much needed voice in Frost's ear about offensive play and play calling.  It will be the same offense, but I expect it to "look" different.  

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

IMHO, AM rolls out against Purdue.  If he struggles, Frost will look at other options. Frost knows more than we do how important getting to a bowl game is for the team and ultimately recruiting....

 

I am also optimistic that Lubick will bring a much needed voice in Frost's ear about offensive play and play calling.  It will be the same offense, but I expect it to "look" different.  

I think it'll take a solid month of struggles before Martinez would be benched for more than a series.  Luke is going to have freshman struggles/ups/downs if forced to start as well.  Martinez returning to form is the best chance this team has at 8+ wins and Frost knows that. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...