USA Today: Big Ten spring preview 2020

19 hours ago, FearAmeer said:

I think people who are starting to dry up on Frost don't realize the amount of unlucky s#!t he's gone through and the fact that literally 9 of our losses under him have been by one possession. 9 with terrible roster depth. You flip those all to wins and he's bo pelini 2.0 with 8-9 wins a season but recruiting momentum 

Mostly agree with you, but some of those close losses requires some boneheaded 4th quarter decisions.  

If he figures out the game management piece piece along with better QB play, this team will turn it around 

• Plus1 2

I have never understood how so many people take the time to publicly be unhappy on a regular basis...  It feels like we lost a game last week reading this thread.  I am optimistic for next season and actually excited to see a little depth.  Tough schedule or not, it should feel different having backups that can play.  GBR

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not sure how I'm making a straw man argument but alrighty hombre

Because you think if someone criticizes AM’s play from last year that they want the kid to fail going forward.  Everything I read is that people just want better a good QB to be the starter regardless of who it is.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Because you think if someone criticizes AM’s play from last year that they want the kid to fail going forward.  Everything I read is that people just want better a good QB to be the starter regardless of who it is.  

I didn't say that at all but to be fair I have seen posters say things like we will never win with Martinez as starter and he just doesn't have it and never will. To me there is a difference between criticism for his play and those type of comments which seem an awful lot like some people just want the kid to fail. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Some people are going well beyond criticizing his play.

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

I didn't say that at all but to be fair I have seen posters say things like we will never win with Martinez as starter and he just doesn't have it and never will. To me there is a difference between criticism for his play and those type of comments which seem an awful lot like some people just want the kid to fail. 

Well I hope there aren’t any idiots out there rooting for some college player to fail just so they can toot their horn claiming they were right about the player.  Such a sad existence if that’s the case.  

I think the vast majority ate skeptical of AM but would absolutely root for his success is chosen to be starter.   

• Plus1 1
On 3/5/2020 at 2:31 PM, KingBlank said:

So he struggles at winning games is what you are saying

You can come up with that conclusion but for me, we wouldn't be in situations to call poor 4th quarter management when we already have a 3+ possession lead on them. That and I think he'll learn from that bad management after having gone through it

On 3/4/2020 at 11:54 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

If Frost feels the heat of his job performance going into 2020 then he really has to have a real honest QB competition.  He needs to field the best possible team this fall. 

I've noticed that Frost puts out a coach-speak meme about not being affected by criticism or praise.  He urges his team to be the same.  His words have  been so strong on that matter that it makes me think that perhaps he is being sincere in that regard.  It's just that he's nowhere near the end of his contract, and also that Moos seems to be all in even after the -15 two season record.  A 6 win season this year would look good to everyone but Frost, and he'll continue on to 7 or 8 next year, if he can produce that.  And we don't even know that at this point.

We all know Husker football was a complete overhaul project when Frost was hired.  It wasnt much better when Pelini was hired and needed plenty of work when Callahan took over.  Sadly each successive change while necessary at the times didnt work well for any number of reasons.  

Now we are in the middle of the fourth go round.   It seems some believed that Frost was a miracle worker who would wave a wand and by season 2 the Huskers would be a forceful team competing for Big Ten honors.  After season 2, reality became apparent to many if not most.  It will not come easy nor fast.  

However, it is happening and there will be progress this year and next - provided the players dedicate themselves to getting better, getting in great condition and believe in themselves and their coaches.  Fans must be supportive and keep the faith and the coaches need to keep minds open and adapt to the needs of the players individually and the team as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We all know Husker football was a complete overhaul project when Frost was hired.  It wasnt much better when Pelini was hired and needed plenty of work when Callahan took over.  Sadly each successive change while necessary at the times didnt work well for any number of reasons.  

Now we are in the middle of the fourth go round.   It seems some believed that Frost was a miracle worker who would wave a wand and by season 2 the Huskers would be a forceful team competing for Big Ten honors.  After season 2, reality became apparent to many if not most.  It will not come easy nor fast.  

However, it is happening and there will be progress this year and next - provided the players dedicate themselves to getting better, getting in great condition and believe in themselves and their coaches.  Fans must be supportive and keep the faith and the coaches need to keep minds open and adapt to the needs of the players individually and the team as a whole. 

Welcome home, Captain Obvious.....

• Plus1 1

The posts which say “8+ wins “ are a hoot.  We better be 7-0 going into our last 5 to even get a sniff at 8 wins.  As several others have said, we need better play in many areas and depth is still going to be an issue at some key spots on the roster.  I don’t want to see failure, but reality and past optimism is saying 6-6 would be a great season.  I sure hope for better, but the hype train needs a reality check.

• Plus1 1