USA Today: Big Ten spring preview 2020

I feel like this board just rehashes the same small set of talking points over and over. Let's maybe create a different framework for this QB discussion.

If our offensive line made a massive jump in run blocking this season to where basic zone handoffs yielded good results, the whole conversation on the QB position probably starts to fade into the background.

The problem is that our line most likely won't actually make this kind of jump in my opinion until 2021. So in all likelihood it's going to be more of the same arguing over whether or not our QB situation is the biggest problem on offense or not until then.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

My guess is that he would get hurt and the backup would play half the games.  

His passing stats would go down (lack of opportunity) rushing attempts would go up till he got hurt. 

Yeah I mean it's not like another senior QB in '95 got hurt, fought through adversity, and then overcame to great results.

Getting injured = end of the world

Got it.

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

I feel like this board just rehashes the same small set of talking points over and over. Let's maybe create a different framework for this QB discussion.

If our offensive line made a massive jump in run blocking this season to where basic zone handoffs yielded good results, the whole conversation on the QB position probably starts to fade into the background.

The problem is that our line most likely won't actually make this kind of jump in my opinion until 2021. So in all likelihood it's going to be more of the same arguing over whether or not our QB situation is the biggest problem on offense or not until then.

Nah, the o-line is going to make that jump, of that I am certain. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

LOL. Pump the brakes there, bucko. You also cannot be successful with the talent and depth at O-line that this team has had the past two seasons. You also cannot be successful as a team with the talent and depth at WR that this team has had the past two seasons. You also cannot be successful as a team with the talent and depth at RB.......

Are you getting the point? Adrian is far from, hardly, and nowhere near the main problem with this offense. The fact that he had the second most efficient season at QB in the last 10 years, as a true freshman, is more indicative of his level of talent than it is anything else. 

Are you speaking of the talent and depth of the 2017 UCF line ranked 67th in the country that returned 2 starters and another player coming off a bad knee injury.  Plus all the talent/experience at WR that returned, oh wait I mean the 1 player with over 800 yards that returned.  Or the 1,000 yard experienced running back that returned from their 2016, errrrr, not that either I guess.  It’s amazing how much more talent and experience UCF has had than Nebraska.  

I hear it it loud and clear from you, bucko, a Quarterback can’t elevate the rest of the offense around him.  A QB can only be above average if he has lots of talent and experience around him. 

And by the way, if you can’t get past the fact that the stats from his freshman season are average at best from a QB in this offense, then not sure what to tell you.   The most impressive part of AM’s freshman season was that he won the job as a true freshmen and that he had a slightly better than average season as a true freshman.  Make no mistake about it though, you put those stats on any nameless sophomore, junior, or senior and it’s not an all-American type season.   He got all the hype in the offseason because of the improvement wveryonenthought he would make off his freshman season.  Not because his freshman season was filled with off the chart stats and play.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah I mean it's not like another senior QB in '95 got hurt, fought through adversity, and then overcame to great results.

Getting injured = end of the world

Got it.

Way to project your irrational thoughts into a reply that said nothing of the sorts. 

Never once said getting injured= end of the world. 

Injuries are a fact of life for a QB in that type of offense, and actually for our current type of offense too.  It’s also a fact that AM hasn’t played a full year in any of the past three. 

So project your feelings all you want if it makes you feel better.  Hard to argue with facts though. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

If the reality is that Adrian is the great QB some think but the rest of the team is not good enough to win games this fall then maybe it makes sense to redshirt Adrian this year along with any of the two deep prospects that can also be held out.  With the 4 game rule Adrian can be saved for the games where he can make the difference in games as we go along.  We need to build for the future and if this year is another rebuild (throw away effectively) the Frost needs to plan accordingly.  I dont think 2020 is hopeless at all but that seems to be the gist of what quite a few are suggesting.  

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If the reality is that Adrian is the great QB some think but the rest of the team is not good enough to win games this fall then maybe it makes sense to redshirt Adrian this year along with any of the two deep prospects that can also be held out.  With the 4 game rule Adrian can be saved for the games where he can make the difference in games as we go along.  We need to build for the future and if this year is another rebuild (throw away effectively) the Frost needs to plan accordingly.  I dont think 2020 is hopeless at all but that seems to be the gist of what quite a few are suggesting.  

You missed the point of what I was trying to say.

48 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Are you speaking of the talent and depth of the 2017 UCF line ranked 67th in the country that returned 2 starters and another player coming off a bad knee injury.  Plus all the talent/experience at WR that returned, oh wait I mean the 1 player with over 800 yards that returned.  Or the 1,000 yard experienced running back that returned from their 2016, errrrr, not that either I guess.  It’s amazing how much more talent and experience UCF has had than Nebraska.  

I hear it it loud and clear from you, bucko, a Quarterback can’t elevate the rest of the offense around him.  A QB can only be above average if he has lots of talent and experience around him. 

And by the way, if you can’t get past the fact that the stats from his freshman season are average at best from a QB in this offense, then not sure what to tell you.   The most impressive part of AM’s freshman season was that he won the job as a true freshmen and that he had a slightly better than average season as a true freshman.  Make no mistake about it though, you put those stats on any nameless sophomore, junior, or senior and it’s not an all-American type season.   He got all the hype in the offseason because of the improvement wveryonenthought he would make off his freshman season.  Not because his freshman season was filled with off the chart stats and play.  

He was far from average his freshman year while healthy and got all the hype for plays like these that seemed to happen every game.  

I understand why people are down on him.  Last year wasn't great and we didn't see near enough of this type of play.  The reality is that since we did see this his freshman year, we all know he is capable of these type of plays.  It's only natural to think that with a better supporting cast, a healthy body, and another year of knowledge, we will start to see this type of play return.  If not, by all means we should move on at whatever point Frost see's a better option.  I still don't believe we should discount what the kid did in the past though.  GBR

• Plus1 4
15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

He was far from average his freshman year while healthy and got all the hype for plays like these that seemed to happen every game.  

So I just want to be clear, you will be very happy with AM this coming year if he throws for 2,750 yards, 17 TD’s with 8 INT’s and adds another 630 yards rushing, 8 TD’s and 6-8 fumbles lost to the mix? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

And I should probably clarify 2 things:

1) if AM is the starter, then I absolutely hope he plays fantastic, heisman level type season, and NEB wins 10 games.  I root for all the players to succeed on the field and in life.

2) AM’s freshmen season was a good season for a true freshman, but would not be good enough for a junior starter, or third year starter in this type of system.  It’s a QB driven system that gives the starter tons of opportunity to drive up a fantastic stat line.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So I just want to be clear, you will be very happy with AM this coming year if he throws for 2,750 yards, 17 TD’s with 8 INT’s and adds another 630 yards rushing, 8 TD’s and 6-8 fumbles lost to the mix? 

As much as we throw we need 27 TD passes with 6 or less INTs and 10 TDs on 750 yards rushing with less than 12 sacks.  I’d like 2500

yards rushing from 3 RBs to fill in the rest of offense and 25 more TDs and 12 field goals and 7 more TDs on special teams and or defense. Roughly 42 pts a game.  

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not at all but I do believe he can return to form this coming season and, with maturity and experience, reduce turnovers and increase scoring.  I understand where you are coming from regarding stats.  I'm looking at what his raw play making ability could lead to.  No clue if it will happen but I do think there is a good possibility we see a vastly improved performance from him this year.  

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

As much as we throw we need 27 TD passes with 6 or less INTs and 10 TDs on 750 yards rushing with less than 12 sacks.  I’d like 2500

yards rushing from 3 RBs to fill in the rest of offense and 25 more TDs and 12 field goals and 7 more TDs on special teams and or defense. Roughly 42 pts a game.  

So you think Nebraska needs to be in the top 2-3 teams nationally in scoring to win?  Sure hope our defense is better than that...      

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So you think Nebraska needs to be in the top 2-3 teams nationally in scoring to win?  Sure hope our defense is better than that...      

Those numbers will really help us win 10 games maybe.  Defense will be better by maybe 6 pts a game.  The tough games vs Wiscy, PSU, OSU we wont get there.  The winnable ones we should be in the 55 plus range offensively.  

These are the kinds of numbers everybody was led to believe heisman AM would produce.  Frost offense is supposed to be 5 passes and 6 pts right?  Forget those ugly 5 yards and a cloud of astroturf runs right?