USA Today: Big Ten spring preview 2020

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If the reality is that Adrian is the great QB some think but the rest of the team is not good enough to win games this fall then maybe it makes sense to redshirt Adrian this year along with any of the two deep prospects that can also be held out.  With the 4 game rule Adrian can be saved for the games where he can make the difference in games as we go along.  We need to build for the future and if this year is another rebuild (throw away effectively) the Frost needs to plan accordingly.  I dont think 2020 is hopeless at all but that seems to be the gist of what quite a few are suggesting.  

Wonder if this plan will have an effect on roster management and recruiting?

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

2) AM’s freshmen season was a good season for a true freshman, but would not be good enough for a junior starter, or third year starter in this type of system.  It’s a QB driven system that gives the starter tons of opportunity to drive up a fantastic stat line.

It is a quarterback-driven system, but it's also one where the goal is roughly 55% run plays. If you have a dominant offensive line and dominant running backs and then you combine that with the type of play Adrian had even just his freshman year then we potentially have the first or second best offense in B1G West because of how Frost is able to open up the run game when other parts of the offense are clicking.

However, I genuinely predict our offensive line will again be a very big limiter in what any skill player is capable of bringing to the table this year (due to poor run and pass blocking). If our pass protection is as bad as it was through roughly the first eight games last season it won't matter who's back there.

I think the jump for our offensive line comes in 2021 and that's when we'll look like a good-to-great team out there.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Are you speaking of the talent and depth of the 2017 UCF line ranked 67th in the country that returned 2 starters and another player coming off a bad knee injury.  Plus all the talent/experience at WR that returned, oh wait I mean the 1 player with over 800 yards that returned.  Or the 1,000 yard experienced running back that returned from their 2016, errrrr, not that either I guess.  It’s amazing how much more talent and experience UCF has had than Nebraska.  

I hear it it loud and clear from you, bucko, a Quarterback can’t elevate the rest of the offense around him.  A QB can only be above average if he has lots of talent and experience around him. 

And by the way, if you can’t get past the fact that the stats from his freshman season are average at best from a QB in this offense, then not sure what to tell you.   The most impressive part of AM’s freshman season was that he won the job as a true freshmen and that he had a slightly better than average season as a true freshman.  Make no mistake about it though, you put those stats on any nameless sophomore, junior, or senior and it’s not an all-American type season.   He got all the hype in the offseason because of the improvement wveryonenthought he would make off his freshman season.  Not because his freshman season was filled with off the chart stats and play.  

The strawman is thick with this one. 

Since your argument is predicated on "this type of offense", I've got an assignment for you: go look at what first year QBs do in the Chip Kelley/Scott Frost system. Look at guys like Jeremiah Masoli, Darron Thomas, Marcus Mariotta and Justin Herbert. Then, compare that with Adrian, Wilson Speight, Dorian Robinson-Thompson, and McKenzie Milton. Then, ask yourself what you think the main difference is between that first group, and the second group is. Think about it for a bit, then come on back and try again. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

The strawman is thick with this one. 

Since your argument is predicated on "this type of offense", I've got an assignment for you: go look at what first year QBs do in the Chip Kelley/Scott Frost system. Look at guys like Jeremiah Masoli, Darron Thomas, Marcus Mariotta and Justin Herbert. Then, compare that with Adrian, Wilson Speight, Dorian Robinson-Thompson, and McKenzie Milton. Then, ask yourself what you think the main difference is between that first group, and the second group is. Think about it for a bit, then come on back and try again. 

Not sure what point your trying to make, but it’s whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to be working out. 

Masoli, not that great, Wilton a Michigan transfer not sure why he fits in, and Milton played exceptional without a ton of NFL talent returning from Frosh to sophomore year as has already been established.  Herbert a first round NFL draft pick most likely. 

Oregon was good, UCLA not so much and Mckenzie elevated those around him. Got  it.  Also, Transfer QB’s are hit or miss. Some are Masoli and some are a Wilson.  Shocker.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Not sure what point your trying to make, but it’s whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to be working out. 

Masoli, not that great, Wilton a Michigan transfer not sure why he fits in, and Milton played exceptional without a ton of NFL talent returning from Frosh to sophomore year as has already been established.  Herbert a first round NFL draft pick most likely. 

Oregon was good, UCLA not so much and Mckenzie elevated those around him. Got  it.  Also, Transfer QB’s are hit or miss. Some are Masoli and some are a Wilson.  Shocker.  

The point I'm trying to make (the same one that has flown over your head on a number of occasions) is that the reason that the Oregon QBs were more successful than the Nebraska/UCLA QBs is because the talent at Oregon was much, much, much, much better. So yes, going back to the point that you tried not to make in your last post, talent around the QB makes a difference. 

35 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The point I'm trying to make (the same one that has flown over your head on a number of occasions) is that the reason that the Oregon QBs were more successful than the Nebraska/UCLA QBs is because the talent at Oregon was much, much, much, much better. So yes, going back to the point that you tried not to make in your last post, talent around the QB makes a difference. 

It seems your just not comprehending things.  Everything around a web makes a difference.  Talent around him, head coach (biggest difference of anything), training, none of that is in disputed by me.  

What your failing to understand, is that the special QB’s elevate the play around them, they don’t play down to lesser talent around them.  

AM’s not gonna make Kade Warner be CeeDee Lamb, but he sure as heck shoukd make him be a better Kade Warner than a replacement level JoeQB would.   Throw the ball on time, find the open tight end that was constantly running free.  He shouldn’t consistently throw too late and hang Jd out to dry.  

He should give our RB and or Reciever every chance to be successful on a screen pass by hitting him in stride and on time.  Turnovers should be limited to next to nothing on fourth quarter drives in one score games.  All those little things matter and help get every ounce of talent out of the teammates he has.  It’s the difference between a 2,200 yrd 12/10 season and a 3,000 yrd 20/5 season.  All by controlling things he can control. 

And Yes.  More talent makes things easier.  no one disputes that.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1