Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bugeater17

Top 25 Coaches

Recommended Posts

 

Stewart Mandel's list: https://theathletic.com/1654673/2020/03/05/stewart-mandel-ranking-the-top-25-coaches-in-college-football/?source=dailyemail

 

Bruce Feldman's list: https://theathletic.com/1654112/2020/03/05/bruce-feldman-ranking-the-25-best-coaches-in-college-football/

 

First, a little bit shocked to not see Frost on either list or on the 'just missed the cut'. I guess it shows how far his stock has fallen since coming to DONU.

 

Second, I tend to agree with Mandel's list more, except he has Bill Clark of UAB at No. 10. 

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post

These lists are typically more "current buzz" coaches rather than best coaches. Frost made these lists the last few years, but the bloom is off the rose so he's not included.

 

Give a couple years and he'll be back there.

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Regardless of what these lists say, I think Frost is a pretty decent coach.  I mean, look at his football resume--the playing experience he's had and the legendary coaches he has worked under.  I doubt there are many 45-year-old coaches with the experience he's had.  

 

That said, while experience is great and all--it isn't everything.  The very best coaches have to have a great work ethic.  I think Frost checks that box as well.  Great coaches also get along well with others--that is, with the media, with players, assistant coaches, the AD and school officials, fans, etc.  Frost certainly qualifies in this regard too.    

 

The one thing I'd question most about Frost is his (or his staff's) ability to make game-time adjustments.  We've dropped games under Frost because we couldn't come up with an answer for what the other team was doing.  That's something that SF and his staff needs to work on.  So there's that.   /jmho

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, NUance said:

Regardless of what these lists say, I think Frost is a pretty decent coach.  I mean, look at his football resume--the playing experience he's had and the legendary coaches he has worked under.  I doubt there are many 45-year-old coaches with the experience he's had.  

 

That said, while experience is great and all--it isn't everything.  The very best coaches have to have a great work ethic.  I think Frost checks that box as well.  Great coaches also get along well with others--that is, with the media, with players, assistant coaches, the AD and school officials, fans, etc.  Frost certainly qualifies in this regard too.    

 

The one thing I'd question most about Frost is his (or his staff's) ability to make game-time adjustments.  We've dropped games under Frost because we couldn't come up with an answer for what the other team was doing.  That's something that SF and his staff needs to work on.  So there's that.   /jmho

In game and or in season adjustments / changes are key to be a better than most type coach.  Frost certainly has the resume from playing and working around the whos who list.  Then its a matter of how much he learned and can teach and apply in the key times.    Experience is always the best learning method.  He is still learning.  Can he adapt and is he open minded enough to change his thinking etc?   Time will tell. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

Scott seems to disappear and/or miss a key moment where he communicates that he was busy doing something else.  He appears to be overwhelmed and then passes it off on to someone or something.  

 

He will probably figure that out but it's in that growth that the current team seems to be behind the 8 ball.

 

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

In game and or in season adjustments / changes are key to be a better than most type coach.  Frost certainly has the resume from playing and working around the whos who list.  Then its a matter of how much he learned and can teach and apply in the key times.    Experience is always the best learning method.  He is still learning.  Can he adapt and is he open minded enough to change his thinking etc?   Time will tell.

 

I'd say that none of the things you mentioned play into whether a coach is perceived as 'bettern than most.'

 

There's really just one objective measurement for that (and then possibly a secondary offshoot): Your overall winning percentage (and ratio of winning seasons/losing seasons).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

I'd say that none of the things you mentioned play into whether a coach is perceived as 'bettern than most.'

 

There's really just one objective measurement for that (and then possibly a secondary offshoot): Your overall winning percentage (and ratio of winning seasons/losing seasons).

Ultimately its winning championships and consistency and not getting out coached in the big games.  Frost has come up

short there. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

He will probably figure that out but it's in that growth that the current team seems to be behind the 8 ball.

 

My take is that some of his supporting cast that he brought just kind of sucked.

 

Initially, when this idea was first proposed on this board it was met with quite a bit of push-back because 'h0w couLd teh gOlden boY do wRong???' Then lo and behold, two guys get fired.

 

I think at the college level, having superior coaching is the number one most important variable. It's even more important than superior talent. Look at Miami as an example; they're always stacked with talent but are totally inconsistent. Then look at a program like Iowa: Great culture, great coaching of fundamentals at all positions, inferior talent...and with leadership that starts from the top it translates into pretty consistent floors of 8 win seasons (by and large) and a team that could legitimately beat anybody on their schedule each season.

 

The players are still learning the game at the college level. All of the position coaches have to be good at what they do or the product sucks. The head coach is most important and sets the tone.

 

Anyway, long rant. Point is I think Frost is attempting to address gaps in his staff.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

My take is that some of his supporting cast that he brought just kind of sucked.

 

Initially, when this idea was first proposed on this board it was met with quite a bit of push-back because 'h0w couLd teh gOlden boY do wRong???' Then lo and behold, two guys get fired.

 

I think at the college level, having superior coaching is the number one most important variable. It's even more important than superior talent. Look at Miami as an example; they're always stacked with talent but are totally inconsistent. Then look at a program like Iowa: Great culture, great coaching of fundamentals at all positions, inferior talent...and with leadership that starts from the top it translates into pretty consistent floors of 8 win seasons (by and large) and a team that could legitimately beat anybody on their schedule each season.

 

The players are still learning the game at the college level. All of the position coaches have to be good at what they do or the product sucks. The head coach is most important and sets the tone.

 

Anyway, long rant. Point is I think Frost is attempting to address gaps in his staff.

 

Ya but ... Iowa Sucks!  :-)  Some humor ... as I'm in full agreement.  Hopefully, we are eating this "humble pie" and grow toward greatness ... otherwise, it is much like an addict's mind that is blaming anyone/anything all the while the real blame in on himself and all the pride and arrogance.

Share this post


Link to post

a head coach has to be a CEO.  He needs to know and have the pulse of everything that is going on, as it is his team.  Right now, I don't think Scott does that.  IMO, he defers way too much especially on D and Special Teams.  Trusting your coaches is huge and knowing they are teaching what you want/need is also huge.  It is too much to try and do it yourself, but you need to have the pulse of all areas of the program, not just the offense in his case.  Maybe in time, but so far I'd say he has a lot of room to grow.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/5/2020 at 10:54 AM, BigRedN said:

Scott seems to disappear and/or miss a key moment where he communicates that he was busy doing something else.  He appears to be overwhelmed and then passes it off on to someone or something. 

 

 

This.  ^^^

 

He did come around to clock management at some point last year.  I was surprised he had that particular issue.. but we don't know if perhaps he had problems with an assistant or what.. he did get better.  As to "..miss a key moment," that is my pet peeve about the guy.  He honestly seems overwhelmed.  Will he get over that?  Can he get over that?  Some do and some don't.  And those who don't end up heading back to where ever that was not a problem for them, if they're smart.  I feel that he is in over his head irrespective of his resume. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...