Lubick inherits bare cupboard

A bare cupboard? We have 8 very talented receivers (JD would make 9 if he comes back). The goal for Frost and Co. was 9 to 11 scholarship players. Here’s the list -

- Wan’Dale (4*)

- Nance (3*)

- Houston (3*)

- Betts (4*)

- Brown (4*)

- Manning (4*)

- Fleming (4*)

- Nixon (3*)

Walk-on

-Kade Warner had some decent production in his limited snaps (12.6 yards a catch on 8 receptions)

The guys who have left (and my count may be wrong):

- McQuitty (4*)

- Chase (3* - on 247 transfer portal)

- Woodyard (3*)

- Hunt (3*)

- Jones (3*)

How is the cupboard bare? He’s got a lot of young players, but they all have a lot of upside. I guess I’m failing to understand the panic here? Are you also stocking up on toilet paper and masks to fight COVID-19 like the rest of the panicked population? 

You all are acting like we have 4 scholarship receivers. Come to Colorado, buy some gummies and CTFO. There is plenty of Kool-Aid here too. :thumbs

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
On 3/5/2020 at 3:04 PM, 10_point_buck said:

but, but , but....look at our recruiting rankings :facepalm:  Seriously, you have to develop young talent.  If guys were that good and that good right out of HS, they are probably not showing up on our rosters anyway.  In year 3 to not have anyone at WR is a bad situation.  Hoping (and praying) some true freshmen step up and step in is KooL Aid tainted glasses talking.  What about our TE's ?  I thought this offense was supposed to utilize the TE's and I have yet to really see it.  We have a boat load of them, but never really used them.  Austin Allen in the slot is a match up problem for most LB's but we don't go to it.  Might have to stop trying to pound that square peg into the round hole and figure out how to utilize what we do have better than we have.  But, I'm no coach and Im sure the staff has it all figured out already.  Could make for an interesting Spring Game to have the same 4 guys playing on both offensive groups.

The only time AM hit a TE when they were the primary target.  There we several occasions when Stoll was wide open and Am was not looking his way.  

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

You all are acting like we have 4 scholarship receivers. 

They are acting like we only have 4 scholarship receivers because there are, in fact, only four scholarship receivers that will be participating in spring ball.  

So I guess you agree.

• Plus1 5
49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They are acting like we only have 4 scholarship receivers because there are, in fact, only four scholarship receivers that will be participating in spring ball.  

So I guess you agree.

The cupboard is bare is the headline of the article and this thread. It’s entirely inaccurate, and it’s a “shock” headline. 

“In spring ball” - Which means more reps for guys who normally wouldn’t get them (minus Wan’Dale). I think that’s a great thing for the long term health of the team.

So, no. I guess I don’t agree at all.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, ZMagers22 said:

The cupboard is bare is the headline of the article and this thread. It’s entirely inaccurate, and it’s a “shock” headline. 

“In spring ball” - Which means more reps for guys who normally wouldn’t get them (minus Wan’Dale). I think that’s a great thing for the long term health of the team.

So, no. I guess I don’t agree at all.

8 recievers when 3 of them shouldnt be counted on to make an impact and 4 others have little to no in game reps at this level is pretty sparse 

• Plus1 3
On 3/7/2020 at 8:51 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The only time AM hit a TE when they were the primary target.  There we several occasions when Stoll was wide open and Am was not looking his way.  

You hit the nail on the head here. AM sticks with the primary receiver (usually a wideout) way too long and rarely makes it through his progression.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Whose “fault” is this for not having any good WRs by year 3?

No one is saying we dont have any good recievers but it's also not a rosy situation either. I would put most of the blame on Riley and Williams. Where are the upperclassman? We are building a solid room now 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:40 AM, Undone said:

Yep. Bottom line.

If they are we could potentially be just fine. But if they're not...

If those two are up to their hype we could have a nice combination between them and Wandale. On the plus side I think Lubick will coach-up our wr's way better than Walters did.

16 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

No one is saying we dont have any good recievers but it's also not a rosy situation either. I would put most of the blame on Riley and Williams. Where are the upperclassman? We are building a solid room now 

Most of the older guys have been eliminated by coaches and or the players.    If Frost recruited better players - play them.  If not then he should have kept the ones already on the team.  At some point - 3 years in to the Frost era - the cupboard ought not be bare     

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Most of the older guys have been eliminated by coaches and or the players.    If Frost recruited better players - play them.  If not then he should have kept the ones already on the team.  At some point - 3 years in to the Frost era - the cupboard ought not be bare     

3 years in we have what you would expect to have 3 years in. A bunch of freshman and sophomores. Frost didn't eliminate anyone, players haven't wanted to play. JD prime example. If he was all in this year we wouldn't be having this convo. But we have exactly 1 reciever from Riley 3 years after his 3 year tenure. That is an indictment on him and his reciever recruiting. We should have at least 3 upperclassmen. The only successful recievers during his tenure were JD and Morgan, and he didn't even recruit Morgan 

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Undone said:

On a different note, I like that Omar Manning comes in as a junior. If he's as good as advertised, I like 2021 a lot on offense when you combine the good offensive line recruits along with him and Wan'Dale as upperclassmen.

Problem is, if he's as good as advertised I wouldn't be shocked if he's a one and done. Could be totally wrong, maybe he really wants to get his degree, or wants a second year of good film. But I agree the future on offense is looking much brighter.

• Plus1 2