QB Heinrich Haarberg

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

30 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Haarberg commit?

• Nebraska
    • Boston College
    • North Dakota State

This poll is closed to new votes

Excellent!  I love his rangey build and arm strength.  Good athlete.    

As a matter of practicality I was okay with signing Leonard here  but getting homegrown kids is always extra cool!  I love it when homegrown kids play for the state.    (Must be part of my small town upbringing)

It's always good to get your Qb committed early too so this is a happy day. 

10 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

If Matt Masker is still here in 2021 that gives us two QBs on the team from the exact same high school-Kearney Catholic. Going off recent memory I am not sure when the last time that has happened here. When it is all said and done he should be a high three star or low four star recruit. This is in no way the staff reaching at all. We missed a few above him but Heinrich is a solid get that will add depth for years.

I, for one, welcome our new Kearney Catholic QB overlords.

Perhaps Crouch and the next Millard North QB?

On 5/10/2020 at 11:31 AM, gorp512 said:

So much is always put into the weight players will gain once in the program, but there is no way he is done growing. He can easily be 6'7''-6'8'' before he even enrolls. 

So who's got a comp of a QB that huge that has succeeded at the NCAA level?

The only couple I can remember of recent vintage are Ryan Mallett and Osweiler and the latter was pretty meh.

3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The only couple I can remember of recent vintage are Ryan Mallett and Osweiler and the latter was pretty meh.

JaMarcus Russell? 

Nick Foles is tall. But that is a good point. Haarberg just looks like he has a few inches left to grow

6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I wouldn't want a dual-threat QB to be 6'6" or 6'7".  They would be just too tall to effectively run the offense and be a decent runner.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I wouldn't want a dual-threat QB to be 6'6" or 6'7".  They would be just too tall to effectively run the offense and be a decent runner.

I mean yeah you worry about the downside but imagine if he could really grind to put on good weight while continuing to add a few inches. If he could get it done while keeping his athleticism he could be like a taller Tebow. Imagine trying to tackle that. it would be tremendously taxing on defenders.

Fun fact: I didn't know this but Tebow was apparently the top overall DT QB recruit in 2006.

21 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean yeah you worry about the downside but imagine if he could really grind to put on good weight while continuing to add a few inches. If he could get it done while keeping his athleticism he could be like a taller Tebow. Imagine trying to tackle that. it would be tremendously taxing on defenders.

Fun fact: I didn't know this but Tebow was apparently the top overall DT QB recruit in 2006.

I just think a guy who is 6'6" and 230 lbs would not have the quickness to play the fast paced offense which Frost wants.  Yes, the bruising QB may sound like a good idea, but unless Frost is looking to change his style of offense, I wouldn't want to have Haarberg to get too tall.  IMO, it would limit his ability to run the ball effectively.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I just think a guy who is 6'6" and 230 lbs would not have the quickness to play the fast paced offense which Frost wants.  Yes, the bruising QB may sound like a good idea, but unless Frost is looking to change his style of offense, I wouldn't want to have Haarberg to get too tall.  IMO, it would limit his ability to run the ball effectively.

It's definitely not ideal. It's not like we're going to suddenly see him recruiting all QBs with Heinrich's body type. It just so happened this is who we had in our backyard this cycle and it became obvious he was the choice after Costelli went elsewhere.

I do think if things break right for him he could be very effective in this system even if it's not built for him. The best coaches can adapt the system they have to their talent as well as recruit well for that system.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's definitely not ideal. It's not like we're going to suddenly see him recruiting all QBs with Heinrich's body type. It just so happened this is who we had in our backyard this cycle and it became obvious he was the choice after Costelli went elsewhere.

I do think if things break right for him he could be very effective in this system even if it's not built for him. The best coaches can adapt the system they have to their talent as well as recruit well for that system.

I agree that Haarberg brings a different skill set and body type compared to McCaffrey and Smothers.  It seems like Haarberg is a good runner, but he doesn't seem like the breakaway threat running the ball like the current roster of QB's have.  It will be interesting to see how Frost's offense and philosophy evolves as Frost's career in coaching evolves and looks to attack Big Ten defenses.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Vince young 6’5 235

Mariota 6’4 225

Trevor Lawrence 6’6 220

Joe Burrow 6’4 220

Herbert 6’6 235

I think all of those guys could run Frosts system and run it well.  Moving forward hopefully we don’t have to run the qb bad much with an improving OL and better playmakers on the perimeter.  

• Plus1 6
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Heinrich Haarberg