Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You know the last pandemic was also "just another strain of the flu", right? It's been over a century since that pandemic, so people may tend to down play the significance.

I do know that.  How many people are actually doing their own research in regards to this "pandemic"?  This is potentially life threatening to about 1 in 6 people, and most of those people, have compromised immune systems, existing respiratory problems, are elderly, or some combination of all the above.  Most healthy individuals are able to recover from it in about 10-20 days, depending on the person.  Coronavirus has been around for a very long time, this is just a completely new strain.  IT IS NOT THAT BAD.   

But in case you don't believe me, here's how bad it is:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

21 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I do know that.  How many people are actually doing their own research in regards to this "pandemic"?  This is potentially life threatening to about 1 in 6 people, and most of those people, have compromised immune systems, existing respiratory problems, are elderly, or some combination of all the above.  Most healthy individuals are able to recover from it in about 10-20 days, depending on the person.  Coronavirus has been around for a very long time, this is just a completely new strain.  IT IS NOT THAT BAD.   

:dunno

If this were to reach level of 5,000,000 people in the US (well below the projections given today) approximately 833,000 people would face life threatening consequences.  I think that should be taken seriously.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

:dunno

If this were to reach level of 5,000,000 people in the US (well below the projections given today) approximately 833,000 people would face life threatening consequences.  I think that should be taken seriously.

That's fair.  I'm really just saying take a look at who this is effecting; age, pre-existing conditions, etc.:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

For most younger, healthy individuals, this is a non-issue.  The media won't tell you that though.  Unfortunately, more elderly individuals are always going to be at a higher risk for things like this.

14 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

That's fair.  I'm really just saying take a look at who this is effecting; age, pre-existing conditions, etc.:

For most younger, healthy individuals, this is a non-issue.  The media won't tell you that though.  Unfortunately, more elderly individuals are always going to be at a higher risk for things like this.

I get it.  I'm not worried about myself.  But my daughter father, and mother(along with aunts, uncles, neighbors and coworkers) are all in that "1 in 6" category.  We're all for "thinning the herd" until it picks off someone close to us...

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Why is the media lying to you about this virus?

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

Depends on what your definition is of "not bad". 1 in 6 is pretty dang high. I know a lot more than 6 people.

35 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Must be nice not caring about anyone over 60 or anyone with a compromised immune system.

• Plus1 3
43 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I’m glad for you that you aren’t in a high risk category. Some of us aren’t so lucky. Might want to consider all the people who are older or who have compromised immune systems before you start celebrating a potentially less crowded planet.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I get it.  I'm not worried about myself.  But my daughter father, and mother(along with aunts, uncles, neighbors and coworkers) are all in that "1 in 6" category.  We're all for "thinning the herd" until it picks off someone close to us...

Fair.

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why is the media lying to you about this virus?

I'm saying they're acting like it's the plague and everyone who gets it is gonna die from it.  There are certain people that are at a much higher risk.  Not everyone.

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Depends on what your definition is of "not bad". 1 in 6 is pretty dang high. I know a lot more than 6 people.

Must be nice not caring about anyone over 60 or anyone with a compromised immune system.

Elderly are going to be at a much higher risk with any infectious disease.  I'd be interested to see what the percentage of people, who are elderly/have compromised immune systems account for the overall total of people that die from influenza.  

According to this website there was 983 seasonal flu deaths TODAY.  There's been 4,615 since this virus started.  It's all relative, IMO.

For the record, I'm not celebrating a less crowded planet or wishing this on anyone but I feel like it's being overly sensationalized by the media.

Just now, RedSavage said:

I'm saying they're acting like it's the plague and everyone who gets it is gonna die from it.  There are certain people that are at a much higher risk.  Not everyone.

I follow a LOT of news sources, from national to local, all across the nation. I haven't seen anyone in "the media" lying about the facts of this pandemic. Most, if not all, quote doctors, the CDC, health officials, etc, who are the experts giving us the facts.

Where are you seeing "the media" lying about this? Like, can you give an example?

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I follow a LOT of news sources, from national to local, all across the nation. I haven't seen anyone in "the media" lying about the facts of this pandemic. Most, if not all, quote doctors, the CDC, health officials, etc, who are the experts giving us the facts.

Where are you seeing "the media" lying about this? Like, can you give an example?

Where did I say the media was lying?  I only said they aren’t telling you who’s really at risk.  Do you think it’s mostly old people that are going out and buying up all the TP and paper towels?

2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Where did I say the media was lying?  I only said they aren’t telling you who’s really at risk.  Do you think it’s mostly old people that are going out and buying up all the TP and paper towels?

Well, we can parse words all we want, but the question is pretty basic. You're saying the media isn't telling us... whatever. But literally everything you're saying I've heard from the media.

So where is the media falling short in their coverage?  And... aren't you getting your info from the media?  Who are you listening to?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

According to this website there was 983 seasonal flu deaths TODAY.  There's been 4,615 since this virus started.  It's all relative, IMO.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Seasonal flu has already spread throughout the population, so many, many more people have it already. Covid-19 is still in the process of spreading, so there's far fewer cases.

That's why you need to look at the mortality rates (emphasis mine):

No, coronavirus isn't the same as the flu

Covid-19, the illness caused by coronavirus, proves deadly in around 3.5 percent of confirmed cases.

While this is not the same as its mortality rate, given many people may be infected but not realise it, it is significantly higher than seasonal flu, which typically kills 0.1 percent of patients.

"There is still considerable uncertainty around the fatality rates of Covid-19 and it likely varies depending on the quality of local healthcare," said Francois Balloux, Professor of Computational Systems Biology at University College London.

"That said, it is around 2 percent on average, which is about 20 times higher than for the seasonal flu lineages currently in circulation."

• Plus1 2