Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

THREAD: Yesterday, I spoke with doctors from one of the nation’s leading academic hospitals located in a state where #COVID19 cases are increasing quickly. This is what they told me: They've been seeing *many* patients with symptoms concerning for COVID19 who need testing (1/x)
But they are unable to get the *vast majority* of them COVID19 testing. Their only resource for testing is the state lab. But the state lab is severely limited in capacity and it will take another few weeks for the hospital lab to implement its own test. (2/x)
So the hospital is saving their test requests for only those who are severely ill - such as those with ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) who have tested negative for other conditions (like influenza). In other words, they are having to ration tests. (3/x)
For patients who do get tested, it is taking several days for the test to come back during which time their contacts (including doctors and nurses) have to be quarantined, taking them out of the workforce right when we need them the most. (4/x)
They also don’t have enough personal protective equipment. The doctors and nurses are having to reuse masks which they know is risky but they have no other choice. They are worried about running out of gowns and gloves as well. (5/x)
The doctors I spoke with are worried and scared. They know this isn’t the best way to take care of patients. And they are putting their own health at risk in the process. (6/x)
This is happening at one of the *top hospitals in the United States of America.* And they are not alone. This is the daily struggle for hospitals and clinics across America. (7/x)
The measure of whether we have enough testing is whether people who need COVID19 tests can get them. By that measure, we continue to fall short. (8/x)
Because our visibility into the spread of COVID19 in the U.S. is so compromised due to lack of testing, it makes it even more urgent that we be aggressive about mitigation efforts like physical distancing so we can reduce the likelihood of further spread. (9/x)
So if you are reading the news about games being cancelled, schools being suspended, and people avoiding group events due to #COVID19 - and if you're wondering if it's an overreaction, the answer is no. The earlier we act, the more lives we save. Period. (10/x END)
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

This here is inaccurate information and this kind of crap is what spreads fear and makes it worse then it really is. They don’t know if it will die off when the warmer weather comes around it’s too early to tell with the virus right now but they did say it will more then likely die off when the weather gets warmer as most viruses do.

I’m just gonna add that I don’t know how you can possibly say warmer weather may cause decline when it is already in warmer climates. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

This here is inaccurate information and this kind of crap is what spreads fear and makes it worse then it really is. They don’t know if it will die off when the warmer weather comes around it’s too early to tell with the virus right now but they did say it will more then likely die off when the weather gets warmer as most viruses do.

Do you have a source?

4 hours ago, CalhounHusker said:

I’m just gonna add that I don’t know how you can possibly say warmer weather may cause decline when it is already in warmer climates. 

Why Experts Doubt Warm Weather Will Slow the Coronavirus Spread

Will Warm Weather Curb Coronavirus? What the Experts Say

Officials of the World Health Organization said March 5 there’s no reason to believe temperature will play a role in the outbreak but that the subject was worth investigating.

12 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

What I’m saying is there are only certain types of strains of upper respiratory viruses that can survive in tropical climates and the US doesn’t have any of these strains currently in the US. Like I said no one knows for sure what’s going to happen in the spring and summer months but I’m pretty sure we won’t be hearing so much about it come June 

"but I'm pretty sure" none of us have a clue.  Blind speculation doesn't do anyone any good.  The media is feasting on this thing and frankly it ticks me off.  Everyone please consider where you get your news before hitting the panic button.  

22 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Assuming the Norway doctors are correct in their tests that the vaccines they tested produced a 100% survival rate and Pfizer / Bayer will massively produce the med right away, the mortality will be dramatically cut within a month.    Testing is being ramped up incredibly fast.  

Do you have a link for this?  I'm not finding anything.  It seems there's always a promising cure in situations like this, then it fizzles.

26 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Thanks.  Typical.

Well I thot I had it saved but now cant find it.  Story was a news service and quoted Norwegian Researcher PhD with all the creds with Norway research agency.  

Sorry if it was faked - man its getting awfully hard to find any reliable reports - they write totally fabricated stories and sources.   Amazing!

• Plus1 1
On 3/12/2020 at 12:37 PM, darkhorse85 said:

Anyone else happen to be on an immuno suppressant medication?  Fun times we live in.  

Image result for michael scott

Yes......Imuran (Azathioprine). If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be concerned at all. I'd stop taking mine if I could but it is working for what it is intended for and I don't know how much it has actually suppressed my immune system. So, I guess it's an issue of the known vs the unknown. Good luck with yours.

3 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

What I’m saying is there are only certain types of strains of upper respiratory viruses that can survive in tropical climates and the US doesn’t have any of these strains currently in the US. Like I said no one knows for sure what’s going to happen in the spring and summer months but I’m pretty sure we won’t be hearing so much about it come June 

Then why do countries in the Southern Hemisphere have it?

https://www.rtmagazine.com/disorders-diseases/infectious-diseases/other-infections/coronavirus-going-global-as-29-more-nations-report-first-cases-this-week/

• Plus1 2