Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Went to a Hy-Vee today. It's fascinating what people still won't buy. All the frozen vegetables were gone except edamame (I had the impression that was getting popular but I guess not). And, I didn't look, but I bet you the canned oysters and sardines are still there. Maybe I'll buy some on my next trip since I love them. For some reason there was still Campbell's clam chowder left, which is my favorite kind, but most of the rest was gone as were 95% of the saltines. Most of the frozen pizza was gone.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are a lot of variables.  It has been slower spreading in warmer climates.  Not a lot in Africa.  One possible factor is that it doesn't transmit as well in warmer weather.

No one really knows for sure.  But it can't be ruled out either.  It seems to be true with other strains of the flu so it would make sense.

I don't know why that is such a controversial statement that we have to spend so much time trying to pick it apart.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There are a lot of variables.  It has been slower spreading in warmer climates.  Not a lot in Africa.  One possible factor is that it doesn't transmit as well in warmer weather.

No one really knows for sure.  But it can't be ruled out either.  It seems to be true with other strains of the flu so it would make sense.

I don't know why that is such a controversial statement that we have to spend so much time trying to pick it apart.

It's not a strain of the flu, and other coronaviruses like MERS transmitted fine in 110F conditions in the Middle East.

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's not a strain of the flu, and other coronaviruses like MERS transmitted fine in 110F conditions in the Middle East.

Like I said, no one knows for sure.  There isn't anything to rule it out.  So I don't know why positing that was being attacked like it was.

39 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Like I said, no one knows for sure.  There isn't anything to rule it out.  So I don't know why positing that was being attacked like it was.

I wasn’t attacking. I was questioning and discussing. That’s what we should do. 

And, like has been mentioned, this is NOT a strain of the flu. I wish people would stop discussing them both like they are related. 

Africa has a lot of countries where there is not a lot of travel in and out. I would guess that’s why it’s much lower. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wasn’t attacking. I was questioning and discussing. That’s what we should do. 

And, like has been mentioned, this is NOT a strain of the flu. I wish people would stop discussing them both like they are related. 

Africa has a lot of countries where there is not a lot of travel in and out. I would guess that’s why it’s much lower. 

It was pretty attack-y.  It was a pretty snide comment with anecdotal evidence that doesn't in any way disprove what he said.  Just because there are cases happening in warm climates doesn't mean that a warm climate doesn't have an effect on it.  Even the link you posted shows significantly less infections in warm climates including none in large parts of Africa.  You're just guessing at reasons just like he was.  He even admitted that people don't know, but then he gets taken to task for that.  Add that to your list of things it would be nice if people wouldn't do.

As for being "related", that's quite the semantic argument.  No, they are not the same virus.  But they have a lot of similarities including both being viruses, some ways that they are transmitted, symptoms they cause and how they are affected by medication.  That sounds pretty "related" to me.  There really isn't any point in making such a stink about wording like that.  That's not helping any discussion.

11 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

What I’m saying is there are only certain types of strains of upper respiratory viruses that can survive in tropical climates and the US doesn’t have any of these strains currently in the US. Like I said no one knows for sure what’s going to happen in the spring and summer months but I’m pretty sure we won’t be hearing so much about it come June 

Singapore and Australia have cases...  this kind of misinformation is horrible at this point...  #education 

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

My GUESS would be travel between countries. 

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'd GUESS the concern about temperature is to get a handle on the overall length of these closures and disruption of our ''normal'' activities.

In the case of most influenza outbreaks, the Summer months provided a sort of security blanket if our vaccinations and treatments weren't effective enough.

On a personal note..  My niece just posted about two kids testing positive in her daughter's school. (In Amsterdam)..She and her husband are staying home for the next month working from home... and my Nephew just offered to keep them in a hotel in Colorado to be closer to family.

I'm a little surprised she declined, but totally understand why she's staying.

3 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

Singapore and Australia have cases...  this kind of misinformation is horrible at this point...  #education 

That is not education.  

If someone from Australia traveled to China, contracted the virus and returned to Australia, that's proof that climate has nothing to do with it? 

That is the opposite of education.

• Plus1 1