Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

The wealthy have always had access to the latest and greatest.  Nothing new.  And not just under Trump.....It would and does piss me off that there are 2 sets of rules...Wealthy and everyone else....

From what I understand with the tests all have to be evaluated to insure the integrity ie limited false positives.... Then produce said test and distribute them.  The gov't distribution system does not run like the private sector.  It is broken at best.......The initial  tests with the DC were flawed which created delays.....those that were taken had to be submitted to the CDC for reading hence delays.  Now private labs have been authorized to conduct the testing resulting in a quicker turn around.  

Here is a link that explains some (MOST)of the issues.... 

https://www.news4jax.com/health/2020/03/10/private-labs-now-testing-for-coronavirus-but-you-cant-just-walk-in/

Here is good info without the political bullsh!t about the testing kits....Worth the read

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/the-facts-on-coronavirus-testing/

And other source.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8126657/CDC-never-discussed-providing-coronavirus-testing-kits.html

• Plus1 1

I'm a doctor at Nebraska Medicine. Here's what I'm telling my family about COVID-19.

This is an email from Nebraska Medicine critical care anesthesiologist Dan Johnson, MD, to his friends and family about the seriousness of COVID-19. It is shared with permission from Dr. Johnson.

Dear Family,

The COVID-19 pandemic will be a challenge to the USA unlike any we have experienced in our lifetime. For the last several weeks, I have been involved in multiple meetings each day where I get to hear the thoughts of experts in the field of pandemics, specifically about this pandemic, and what we need to do.

If anyone hears from family or friends who think this is “no big deal,” or that the USA’s response has been excessive, please know that they are very wrong. I’m sure you have all read about the many reasons that this is NOT “just like flu.” The numbers of infected, worldwide and in the USA, are extreme underestimates (because many infected have not been tested). The best metric to use, right now, is talking with hospital workers in the hotbeds, and asking them what their situation is.

I have been in communication with a friend who is a critical care physician from the Lombardy region of Italy. The health care workers there are living in a nightmare, having to decide who lives and who dies from lack of oxygen because their health care system is overwhelmed.

In the USA, we have three pathways for COVID-19:

The country views this challenge like WWI and WWII, and almost everyone does the right things, and we will be harmed but okay.

Many people do the right things, and many don’t, and we will have the same struggles that Italy is enduring.

People blow this disease off as no big deal, and our health care system (and life as we know it) will be crippled.

You have all probably seen the concept of “flatten the curve.” If we fail to flatten the curve, and we fail to eliminate the portion of yellow above that line, there will be dire consequences:

More people, including some of our friends and family, will die.

Health care workers like me, Rachel, and several of you are at higher risk of dying.

All health care workers will have to witness the needless deaths of patients who could have survived.

In the SARS-1 outbreak, critical care doctors and nurses in Asia and Canada acquired life-long PTSD from watching patients gasp for air and die because they did not have enough ventilators. SARS-1 was nothing compared to COVID-19. If we do not flatten the curve, Rachel, Bridget, and I will have to witness many of these types of deaths.

In the absence of a vaccine or an anti-viral in the immediate future, our best chance to avoid overwhelming our hospitals is non-pharmaceutical interventions. The two best ways to do that are (1) social distancing, and (2) excellent hygiene.

Please check out these simulations from the Washington Post, and share this article.

The best ways for you to achieve social distancing are pretty simple:

You and your kids should stay home. This includes not going to church, not going to the gym, not going anywhere.

Do not travel for enjoyment until this is done. Do not travel for work unless your work truly requires it.

Avoid groups of people. Not just crowds, groups. Just be around your immediate family. I think kids should just play with siblings at this point – no play dates, etc.

When you must leave your home (to get groceries, to go to work), maintain a distance of six feet from people. REALLY stay away from people with a cough or who look sick.

When you do get groceries, etc., buy twice as much as you normally do so that you can go to the store half as often. Use hand sanitizer immediately after your transaction, and immediately after you unload the groceries.

I’m not saying people should not go to work. Just don’t leave the house for anything unnecessary, and if you can work from home, do it.

Everyone on this email, besides Mom and Dad, are at low risk for severe disease if/when they contract COVID-19. While this is great, that is not the main point. When young, well people fail to do social distancing and hygiene, they pick up the virus and transmit it to older people who are at higher risk for critical illness or death. So everyone needs to stay home. Even young people.

Tell every person over 60, and every person with significant medical conditions, to avoid being around people. Please do not have your kids visit their grandparents if you can avoid it. FaceTime them.

Our nation is the strongest one in the world. We have been through other extreme challenges and succeeded many times before. We WILL return to normal life. Please take these measures now to flatten the curve, so that we can avoid catastrophe.

Love,

Dan

• Plus1 4
On 3/17/2020 at 5:25 AM, twofittyonred said:

If the heat or temperature affected the virus there would not be a spread, the host and maybe a few contacts would be affected.  pretty sure the rise in confirmed cases and deaths debunks your theory... again education...

Patently false and still not saying what you say it's saying.

But I get the feeling people either aren't really wanting to understand or don't want to so it's not worth the effort.

• Plus1 1

On 3/16/2020 at 10:07 PM, drfish said:

Nothing like classics.

Further discussion on exponential growth.  Taking the growth from the 13th to the 14th and applying the average daily growth factor that China experienced, each day approximately 1.2 times the number of new cases from the day before and the 14 days approximately before the exponential growth stopped and we could expect about 9500 new cases on the 28th.  That would put us at about 56,000 cases.  We shall see

Is it a faux pas to quote yourself?  Don't care.  Anyway, I have an updated estimate.  I had used the China numbers, but since we are seeing more than I expected from that calculation, I ran our own.  Based on the last week, we are running 1.3 to 1.4 growth factor. In other words the total cases tomorrow would be expected to be (Today's cases * 1.3).  If that holds over the next week, we will have 50,000 to 95,000 cases in the US by Wednesday.  Though in actuality, the numbers are likely higher because our testing is severely limited by availability.  I feel like I am trying to use "The Force" to evaluate people.  "I have a bad feeling about this."  

Go home. Stay home.

Current slogan: Nebraska, it's not for everyone

Proposed slogan: Nebraska, it's not for everyone.  Seriously, you'll probably hate it so stay the hell away from us.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, drfish said:

Is it a faux pas to quote yourself?  Don't care.  Anyway, I have an updated estimate.  I had used the China numbers, but since we are seeing more than I expected from that calculation, I ran our own.  Based on the last week, we are running 1.3 to 1.4 growth factor. In other words the total cases tomorrow would be expected to be (Today's cases * 1.3).  If that holds over the next week, we will have 50,000 to 95,000 cases in the US by Wednesday.  Though in actuality, the numbers are likely higher because our testing is severely limited by availability.  I feel like I am trying to use "The Force" to evaluate people.  "I have a bad feeling about this."  

Go home. Stay home.

Current slogan: Nebraska, it's not for everyone

Proposed slogan: Nebraska, it's not for everyone.  Seriously, you'll probably hate it so stay the hell away from us.

It really is all about the testing. We don't even know how many are infected in this country, we're at the mercy of guesstimates.

That's no way to fight a pandemic, but here we are.

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It really is all about the testing. Because the Cheeto in Chief refused to develop a plan for this, and as a result we don't even know how many are infected in this country, we're at the mercy of guesstimates.

What kind of person supports his disaster of a response, anyway?

From the polls I've seen, it's pretty clear things haven't yet changed much. The people who supported him before support him now. The ones who didn't still don't.

Though I think if this drags on long enough, you might start to see some movement in those numbers.

For my money, it's been an unmitigated disaster. Thank god for our tireless doctors, healthcare workers and governors. Although Ricketts has been pretty mum throughout this deal.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I wish they'd never told us not to touch our face. I freaking touch my face ALL THE TIME now.

I've even taken to washing my face 2-3 times a day.  My wife is going to be pissed when she finds out I've used all her moisturizer.   But my skin will be that of an angel's.

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

It really is all about the testing. Because the Cheeto in Chief refused to develop a plan for this, and as a result we don't even know how many are infected in this country, we're at the mercy of guesstimates.

What kind of person supports his disaster of a response, anyway?

Can we please leave the politics out of this thread as there is already a thread for that.  While I don't like or support the President, the lack of testing is primarily a regulatory, bureaucratic failure.  We needed these agencies to shift their paradigm from only allowing tests of high quality out and failing to see that a widely available, but slightly flawed test that is generally accurate is better than a highly accurate test that is only available in limited quantities.  So, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg because our regulatory structure CDC/FDA failed to comprehend the need for rapid, if imperfect action.  We allowed better to be the enemy of good.  Then again, nobody alive today in those positions has ever experienced anything like this before so would different bureaucrats lead to different outcomes?  Doubt it.  Anyway, let's keep it about the pandemic in this thread please.

Oh, and go home.  Stay home.  And those of you who pray.  Please pray for those of us on the medical front lines.

• Plus1 3