Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, drfish said:

Can we please leave the politics out of this thread as there is already a thread for that.  While I don't like or support the President, the lack of testing is primarily a regulatory, bureaucratic failure.  We needed these agencies to shift their paradigm from only allowing tests of high quality out and failing to see that a widely available, but slightly flawed test that is generally accurate is better than a highly accurate test that is only available in limited quantities.  So, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg because our regulatory structure CDC/FDA failed to comprehend the need for rapid, if imperfect action.  We allowed better to be the enemy of good.  Then again, nobody alive today in those positions has ever experienced anything like this before so would different bureaucrats lead to different outcomes?  Doubt it.  Anyway, let's keep it about the pandemic in this thread please.

Oh, and go home.  Stay home.  And those of you who pray.  Please pray for those of us on the medical front lines.

Yes. Apologies. The thread titles are similar and I thought I was responding to something in the P&R thread. I'll edit.

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Patently false and still not saying what you say it's saying.

But I get the feeling people either aren't really wanting to understand or don't want to so it's not worth the effort.

Please show your proof that my statement is "patently false"..  please link where any CREDIBLE doctor, virologist or epidemiologist thinks the "sun" will affect this virus.. 

From another blog, 

You know how Instapundit is always saying he will believe global warming just as soon as they start acting like they believe it?

Lemme tell you a secret. This virus is like all the rest. It's going to kill some people, just as the flu does. But those who are making this political? They don't believe it's a pandemic.

Yeah, it's a pandemic just like swine flu was a pandemic.

It's not a pandemic like you see in the movies

But, we are all scared. Why?

Think back to the Iraq war and how the media covered military deaths during that war. Made you think it was as bad as WWII, didn't they?

That's what is happening here. If we behaved the same way for the flu every year, we would be out of our minds with fear of catching the flu.

The media and their bureaucratic and political friends are evil for what they're doing right now. And when it's all over they're going to pay themselves on the back and say, "Phew! We had very few deaths from this, despite what Trump did. We got lucky!"

When all along most of them knew, or suspected, that this was a nothingburger to begin with.

That's why they're behaving the way they are.

Remember this when it's all over. They should have hell to pay for what they've done.

A few tidbits of good, positive news amidst all the doom and gloom.

1- Vaccine development: An experimental vaccine began the first stage of a clinical trial on Monday, with testing on 45 healthy adults in Seattle.

2- China’s new cases plummet: China has now closed down it’s last temporary hospital built to handle Covid-19. Not enough new cases to warrant them.

3- Drugs showing promise: Doctors in India have successfully treated two Italian patients using a combination of drugs; Lopinavir, Ritonavir, Oseltamivir and Chloroquine.

4- Antibodies: Researchers at the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody that can fend off infection by Covid-19.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Virtually every medical professional in the world: stop comparing the coronavirus and the steps we're taking to combat this to the flu because it's not the same

Random internet blog user: iT's JuSt ThE fLu

I don't get why it's so f#&%ing hard for people to believe scientists.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't get why it's so f#&%ing hard for people to believe scientists.

I believe it is some lethal combination of not wanting to believe certain bad things and sheer stupidity. Toss in a healthy dose of being bad at math and not being able to grasp simple exponential expansion and, well.....

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I believe it is some lethal combination of not wanting to believe certain bad things and sheer stupidity. Toss in a healthy dose of being bad at math and not being able to grasp simple exponential expansion and, well.....

I legit think this is a lot of it. Some of it is people being uninformed, or misinformed, but really, scary things are hard to deal with, and it's natural to kind of wish the bad things away.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

A few tidbits of good, positive news amidst all the doom and gloom.

1- Vaccine development: An experimental vaccine began the first stage of a clinical trial on Monday, with testing on 45 healthy adults in Seattle.

2- China’s new cases plummet: China has now closed down it’s last temporary hospital built to handle Covid-19. Not enough new cases to warrant them.

3- Drugs showing promise: Doctors in India have successfully treated two Italian patients using a combination of drugs; Lopinavir, Ritonavir, Oseltamivir and Chloroquine.

4- Antibodies: Researchers at the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody that can fend off infection by Covid-19.

Let's hope for a miracle with some or a couple of these.  I know we can make it work to isolate for 18 months, but if there's any way we can avoid taking a year out of our lives, let's make it happen, huh?

I mean, those of us who are adults are one thing. We have careers and we're out in the world doing our thing. This mostly sucks for students, people pursuing higher education, doing research, athletes, folks like that. It's so much harder for them to deal with this because of this stage of their lives. 

14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Rocks and Oils sound more legit than vaccines and medication I guess?