Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I believe it is some lethal combination of not wanting to believe certain bad things......

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I legit think this is a lot of it. Some of it is people being uninformed, or misinformed, but really, scary things are hard to deal with, and it's natural to kind of wish the bad things away.

It's a combination of people not wanting to believe something bad that would cause them to change how they live or how they view the world, and the ability to always find someone (Foxnews, Rush...etc.) that are going to say the things to verify in your mind that you don't need to change because.  It's always someone else's fault or problem.  YOU are the true patriot for being how you are and what you think.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOL...I wasn't meaning "you" as in literally YOU.  I meant that figuratively speaking about the person who watches Fox or listens to Rush.

...and that is pretty much exactly what I meant when I placed part of the blame on stupidity.

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't get why it's so f#&%ing hard for people to believe scientists.

28 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I believe it is some lethal combination of not wanting to believe certain bad things and sheer stupidity. Toss in a healthy dose of being bad at math and not being able to grasp simple exponential expansion and, well.....

Agreed on both accounts. I also think there's a cultural piece to this, but I don't want to go into detail in this thread since it's more political in nature. I imagine the safest thing to say is this: there are a lot of people choosing to believe illegitimate or disenfranchised information because this type of behavior is frequently rewarded.

The most important thing you can have as a human outside of food and shelter is social comfort and belonging. Some people find social identity in groups defined by their rebellion or skepticism. Somewhere along the way it becomes irrational and goes too far, but nobody is willing to see it, because they stay safe in their group by continuing to rail against government/authority/experts/mainstream knowledge, and they get a positive feedback loop system going to constantly reaffirm their own correct thought. 

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOL...I wasn't meaning "you" as in literally YOU.  I meant that figuratively speaking about the person who watches Fox or listens to Rush.

20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

...and that is pretty much exactly what I meant when I placed part of the blame on stupidity.

Uhh... what, JJ?  I clearly understood that BRB wasn't talking about ME. I was agreeing with him, how we're all the hero of our own story.

Surely you're not thinking I thought he was speaking specifically TO ME, and calling me stupid for that?

My mom (who is in her 70s) has intermittent fever and has been sleepy and has a cough and her dumbass clinic’s answer was to prescribe her cough medicine. And she’s been too stubborn to go the past 2 days even though she thinks she might have pneumonia. And I don’t want to enter her house to try to talk sense in her because I don’t want to get it. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Uhh... what, JJ?  I clearly understood that BRB wasn't talking about ME. I was agreeing with him, how we're all the hero of our own story.

Surely you're not thinking I thought he was speaking specifically TO ME, and calling me stupid for that?

:lol: No, not at all. What I was saying is that, when I mentioned stupidity being part of the problem, a big chunk of that stupidity is people who rely on bad sources for their information. It had nothing to do with you :thumbs

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

:lol: No, not at all. What I was saying is that, when I mentioned stupidity being part of the problem, a big chunk of that stupidity is people who rely on bad sources for their information. It had nothing to do with you :thumbs

I didn't think so, but I do have attacks of the stupid so... :D

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

My mom (who is in her 70s) as intermittent fever and has been sleepy and has a cough and her dumbass clinic’s answer was to prescribe her cough medicine. And she’s been too stubborn to go the past 2 days even though she thinks she might have pneumonia. And I don’t want to enter her house to try to talk sense in her because I don’t want to get it. 

Hopefully she doesn’t have the Covid. Maybe you could contact her clinic and explain your concerns to them and then they could contact her. I know hippa and all...but it might be worth the try.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Hopefully she doesn’t have the Covid. Maybe you could contact her clinic and explain your concerns to them and then they could contact her. I know hippa and all...but it might be worth the try.

I could. I kinda feel like yelling at them. It's not okay to just prescribe her cough medicine right now and then let her go on her merry way.

Edit: Now they're telling her she doesn't qualify to be tested and she would have to go to a hospital to do that. So I looked online and lots of people in Nebraska are being turned down for tests even at hospitals.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Moiraine said:

I could. I kinda feel like yelling at them. It's not okay to just prescribe her cough medicine right now and then let her go on her merry way.

I agree, that seems highly irresponsible and concerning at this time. Heck, even without the Covid thing, anyone exhibiting her symptoms who is 70+ should be checked out and not simply prescribed cough syrup. But the important thing, moreso than tearing them a new one, is to get her checked and under the proper care.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Edit: Now they're telling her she doesn't qualify to be tested and she would have to go to a hospital to do that. So I looked online and lots of people in Nebraska are being turned down for tests even at hospitals.

if you are sick enough to be hospitalized and you test negative for other respiratory pathogens (which we are running out of tests for so you can only get that in the hospital), or if you are exposed to person who tested positive or is a PUI (person under investigation) you will not be tested.  The supply of tests is limited (despite what you may have heard). 

If she tested positive, there is no treatment other than supportive care for people sick enough to be hospitalized.  If she wasn't sick enough to be hospitalized she would have been told to go home and stay there.  If she is not experiencing shortness of breath, she was given the correct advice.  People don't like it, but it is the truth.  

• Plus1 1