Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

@Thurston from Pender, I've never had a warning on this board, and I believe wholeheartedly in civil conversation, so I say this to you with as much compassion and respect as I can muster, knowing that this virus has disrupted every facet of life in this country and around the world: 

The dumbass views that you are spouting are ignorant and irresponsible, and can lead to people getting sick or dying. Please get that BS the hell out of here.

That is all. Good day.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Warren Buffett isn't a weatherman, but he knows which way the wind blows. He knows the wind favors America. He buys bargains when the crowd goes mad.  

Simple. 

Or he's rich enough to buy when other people are losing their jobs and income then comfortably wait years until the market goes back up.

27 minutes ago, Ulty said:

@Thurston from Pender, I've never had a warning on this board, and I believe wholeheartedly in civil conversation, so I say this to you with as much compassion and respect as I can muster, knowing that this virus has disrupted every facet of life in this country and around the world: 

The dumbass views that you are spouting are ignorant and irresponsible, and can lead to people getting sick or dying. Please get that BS the hell out of here.

That is all. Good day.

All of the above is in your opinion only. 

Am I not entitled to my opinion? How are my comments causing people to get sick or die? How many Nebraskans have died due to covid19? How many died from the flu in 2018?

My point is simple: Some governments have wildly overreacted and are doing more harm than good by totally shutting down the economy. 

Censorship doesn't work in China. It shouldn't work in America. I believe in Free Speech and the exchange of ideas in the marketplace. What's your position? 

Red Denver:

Red Denver: Nobody is stopping you from spending $175 to buy a share of BRK.B. 

46 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Warren Buffett isn't a weatherman, but he knows which way the wind blows. He knows the wind favors America. He buys bargains when the crowd goes mad.  

Simple. 

So, for your analogy to be anywhere close to meaningful, it would be that every weather man in the world is claiming there is a Cat 5 hurricane that is going to make land on the east coast.  Warren says....meh....no need to evacuate.  They're just being hysterical.....even though the hurricane can be seen on radar and has torn through Puerto Rico already.  After all, last year we had a Cat 1 that we all lived through.

Let me ask this.

Why do you think every infectious disease scientist in the world is sounding the alarm?

And...

What should be said to the doctors in Italy right now?

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

In the very close quarters of the Diamond Princess (and with lots of older people), 83% didn't get infected. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20031773v2.full.pdf

More and more I'm realizing a s#!t ton of people don't understand the need for a control group. The ship was quarantined. That means they took measures to reduce the spread of the infection. We can't know how many would have been infected if they had made no changes.

13 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

You may find this hard to believe, but the United States is not Italy. 

Medical professionals all over the world are saying that the measures we're taking now could help prevent the deaths of, quite literally, tens of millions of people.

Maybe, they're wrong. Maybe, they're overreacting.

But, what if they're right? Do you really want to hedge your bet and take that risk? Are peoples' lives that inconsequential?

• Plus1 1