Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

To my critics:

We will see who is right in about 30 days. 

In the interim, I'm buying BRK.B at about $170 and anything lower; up to $200. You, as an American, can be partners with Warren Buffett. 

One thing I really wish you would figure out.  Warren's investing has absolutely NOTHING to do with him believing the virus scare is a hoax.

Again, do you have a quote from him on the virus? The only thing I can find is something from February talking about how he's buying because he's investing for 20-30 years but the virus is going to be devastating to businesses and the economy.  Note....that doesn't say it's not going to be a very dangerous situation for the population.

• Plus1 1

BRB:

WEB isn't saying it is a hoax. Neither am I. I've stated people have over reacted. 

Here's some more info. From the CDC. Boomers like me are mostly at risk. Isn't that a good thing? Darwin and all?

This first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.
26 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

To my critics:

We will see who is right in about 30 days. 

In the interim, I'm buying BRK.B at about $170 and anything lower; up to $200. You, as an American, can be partners with Warren Buffett. 

No we won't, because if the measures that we're taking right now work, it's going to "look" like it was never a big deal.

• Plus1 1

What disinformation or misinformation have I written here? 

My CDC quote above is accurate.

I just have a different opinion on how this thing shakes out and how some models have bad assumptions. There is no way that 56% of Californians are going to be infected but the Governor of CA made that prediction last night. I think that opinion is wildly overstated. 

17 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

BRB:

WEB isn't saying it is a hoax. Neither am I. I've stated people have over reacted. 

Here's some more info. From the CDC. Boomers like me are mostly at risk. Isn't that a good thing? Darwin and all?

This first preliminary description of outcomes among patients with COVID-19 in the United States indicates that fatality was highest in persons aged ≥85, ranging from 10% to 27%, followed by 3% to 11% among persons aged 65–84 years, 1% to 3% among persons aged 55-64 years, <1% among persons aged 20–54 years, and no fatalities among persons aged ≤19 years.

You have to be pretty stupid to think this matters. It's not really boomers though, the oldest of those is 74. They are at higher risk but the generation before them is a lot higher. They will completely overwhelm hospitals even if it only affected them, which would make it so people can't get treated for other problems. Unless of course you ban all people > 80 from going to the hospital.

1 hour ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Red Denver: Nobody is stopping you from spending $175 to buy a share of BRK.B. 

This is a wildly entitled point of view. Only those with disposable incomes can do that. How can the tens of thousands of people that just filed for unemployment supposed to buy shares?

32 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

BRB:

Soo....I should go about my business as normal and not care if I have the virus or are carrying it even though I have elderly parents that are 85 and 89 years old and in poor health.

I shouldn't care if I'm carrying it even though I work with at least 2-3 employees who are immunodeficient to the point that doctors have told them they would be extremely ill and probably die if they got it.  I'm f#&%ING OVER REACTING if I lock down my place of employment and take extreme cautions to make sure people don't come in to get them sick.

Sorry....I gotta step away from this conversation because your attitude puts the people I just listed at extreme risk. BUT...you say I'm over reacting.  

Good day.....I honestly hope that this does not negatively affect someone who is close to you.

• Plus1 4

BRB:

You make my point. Everyone's case is different. That's why it made no sense for the Governor of California to shut down his nation-state. 

You put words in my mouth. I never said you shouldn't care if you have the virus. Or not care about your parents and co-workers. 

Do what you want to do. My "wrong" opinions aren't going to change your mind. 

There's sometimes a blurry line between fact and opinion but in this case there just isn't. The fact is that this virus is exponentially growing in our country and communities as expected and if we don't take the necessary precautions as we are being advised to by the medical experts who actually spend their careers researching these exact scenarios, a lot of people will die. If you choose to be ignorant to that, it's on you. But do know that your ignorance can be the direct result of people contracting this virus and spreading it potentially causing actual deaths. We have evidence from other countries to see how this plays out if we don't treat it like the threat that it is. 

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No. Unfortunately, we are not.

Z8MQj1u.png

Here comes the retort about how much bigger we are than Italy.

(important disclaimer on that graph is that Italy has 800+ tests per million people, while we currently have 5. So the actual numbers for both are higher, but ours are disproportionately much higher)

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Here comes the retort about how much bigger we are than Italy.

(important disclaimer on that graph is that Italy has 800+ tests per million people, while we currently have 5. So the actual numbers for both are higher, but ours are disproportionately much higher)

I've been trying to think of the best way to measure this. On the one hand we have way more people than Italy. On the other we are a lot more spread out. It's gonna spread faster in our cities but should spread more slowly overall.

1280px-Population_density_countries_2018