Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Can't remember where the thing about Whole Foods was posted, but they've now said through the end of May they are going to increase all wages by $2/hr, increase OT pay, and give 2 weeks PTO for anyone who gets sick.

Edit: Ok I think they still cut hours though so... still possibly s#!tty.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Can't remember where the thing about Whole Foods was posted, but they've now said through the end of May they are going to increase all wages by $2/hr, increase OT pay, and give 2 weeks PTO for anyone who gets sick.

Edit: Ok I think they still cut hours though so... still possibly s#!tty.

I think I heard Target is doing something similar, with the $2/hr increase and hiring more people. But the two weeks paid sick leave is the result of legislation passed that basically makes them provide it and then the employer will be able to get tax credits for it later.

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think I heard Target is doing something similar, with the $2/hr increase and hiring more people. But the two weeks paid sick leave is the result of legislation passed that basically makes them provide it and then the employer will be able to get tax credits for it later.

Gotcha. That's gonna be rough for smaller businesses though (if they're required). Some of them aren't gonna have that money right now.

52 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Gotcha. That's gonna be rough for smaller businesses though (if they're required). Some of them aren't gonna have that money right now.

I've seen the broad strokes. It applies to employers with fewer than 500 employees. Those 50 and smaller (me) can apply for a hardship ruling and have it waived. I couldn't (or sure wouldn't want to) afford adding that much paid leave without the tax credit. But, if it's a true tax credit (meaning I'll recover the full expense) then I don't have a problem with it. And it sort of makes sense to do it that way to me.

• Thanks 1

18njvirus-family1-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=9

Coronavirus Ravages 7 Members of a Single Family, Killing 4

By Tracey Tully     NY Times   March 18, 2020  

Grace Fusco — mother of 11, grandmother of 27 — would sit in the same pew at church each Sunday, surrounded by nearly a dozen members of her sprawling Italian-American family. Sunday dinners drew an even larger crowd to her home in central New Jersey.  Now, her close-knit clan is united anew by unspeakable grief: Mrs. Fusco, 73, died on Wednesday night after contracting the coronavirus — hours after her son died from the virus and five days after her daughter’s death, a relative said.

On Thursday, another child who had contracted the virus, Vincent Fusco, died, the relative, Roseann Paradiso Fodera, said.

Three other children remain hospitalized, two of them in critical condition, said Ms. Paradiso Fodera, the family’s lawyer who is Mrs. Fusco’s cousin and is serving as a spokeswoman.  LINK

Think of the people in your family. Grandparents, parents, aunts & uncles, older cousins. Teachers, bosses, older friends, acquaintances,, that really cool Checker at the grocery store who's 60+ but you like talking to.

Those are the people most likely affected by this. Do the math:

4 Grandparents

6-7 Aunts & Uncles

2 Parents

2 In-laws

3-4 Older cousins

2-4 Teachers

2 Older friends

2 rando older acquaintances

That's 20-ish people that you know, that you love or care about. Whose loss would leave a hole in your life, bigger or smaller.

At 3.5% mortality rates, that's one or two of those people. Gone. Before their time.

When they're gone, do you care that the Flu takes 30,000 other people per year? Does that affect your feelings about this in any way?

And all you've gotta do to maybe make that not happen is practice social distancing. Or work from home for a month. Or miss a few Spring sporting events.

Even if you don't believe any of this, even if you think it's all a hoax, if you could possibly keep one more of those people in your life by just doing what they're asking of you and washing your hands a few extra times, isn't that a small price to pay?

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Think of the people in your family. Grandparents, parents, aunts & uncles, older cousins. Teachers, bosses, older friends, acquaintances,, that really cool Checker at the grocery store who's 60+ but you like talking to.

Those are the people most likely affected by this. Do the math:

4 Grandparents

6-7 Aunts & Uncles

2 Parents

2 In-laws

3-4 Older cousins

2-4 Teachers

2 Older friends

2 rando older acquaintances

That's 20-ish people that you know, that you love or care about. Whose loss would leave a hole in your life, bigger or smaller.

At 3.5% mortality rates, that's one or two of those people. Gone. Before their time.

When they're gone, do you care that the Flu takes 30,000 other people per year? Does that affect your feelings about this in any way?

And all you've gotta do to maybe make that not happen is practice social distancing. Or work from home for a month. Or miss a few Spring sporting events.

Even if you don't believe any of this, even if you think it's all a hoax, if you could possibly keep one more of those people in your life by just doing what they're asking of you and washing your hands a few extra times, isn't that a small price to pay?

Wait...why in your scenario are the teachers "old and have health issues"?

I knew you were a "Anti-Teachiet!"

Haha (also, I know you hate laughing so please know I am making a joke before reporting me to one of the mods)

13 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Facts, charts and stats. 

Don’r panic.

http://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

<this is probably more suited for political, but since the article was in this thread...>

Figured our friend Thurston would post this as its making its way through right wing media.

You realize that anyone with an internet connection can post on Medium right?  This guy isn't some epidemiologist, he is just a MAGA-phile who threw some fancy graphs together and was like "see, all the real experts are wrong and lying to us, I know what is really happening".  Hell, Medium took it down today (and the article is now hosted at ZeroHedge).  I mean read his conclusion of the article to see the slant he is coming from:

Don’t let them forget it and vote

These days are precarious as Governors float the idea of martial law for not following “social distancing”, as well as they liked while they violate those same rules on national TV. Remember this tone is for a virus that has impacted 0.004% of our population. Imagine if this was a truly existential threat to our Republic.

The COVID-19 hysteria is pushing aside our protections as individual citizens and permanently harming our free, tolerant, open civil society. Data is data. Facts are facts. We should be focused on resolving COVID-19 with continued testing, measuring, and be vigilant about protecting those with underlying conditions and the elderly from exposure. We are blessed in one way, there is an election in November. Never forget what happened and vote.

You may ask yourself. Who is this guy? Who is this author? I’m a nobody. That is also the point. The average American feels utterly powerless right now. I’m an individual American who sees his community and loved ones being decimated without given a choice, without empathy, and while the media cheers on with high ratings.

When this is all over, look for massive confirmation bias and pyrrhic celebration by elites. There will be vain cheering in the halls of power as Main Street sits in pieces. Expect no apology, that would be political suicide. Rather, expect to be given a Jedi mind trick of “I’m the government and I helped.”

The health of the State will be even stronger with more Americans dependent on welfare, another trillion stimulus filled with pork for powerful friends, and a bailout for companies that charged us $200 change fees for nearly a decade. Washington DC will be fine. New York will still have all of the money in the world. Our communities will be left with nothing but a shadow of the longest bull market in the history of our country.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's because Colorado is a few days ahead of Nebraska on this deal but the social "distancing" I witnessed, in Lincoln and especially  campus, was not much of an effort. There were a lot more people out and about, a couple crowded basketball courts, and what appeared to be quite a few people seemingly not very concerned at a grocery store and a restaurant we picked up carryout at. Greeley is absolutely dead comparatively. It's probably just the natural progression and adjustments people have to begin to accept but, for today anyway, it seemed like two different worlds.

Edit- This was a bad take caused by me being extremely tired. Yes, I witnessed two large groups of college kids playing basketball and that's obviously not good. And yes, there were generally more people out and about but Lincoln is about 2.5x the population of Greeley, with a higher population density, so understandably there are going to be more people moving about on a weekend.

45 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe it's because Colorado is a few days ahead of Nebraska on this deal but the social "distancing" I witnessed, in Lincoln and especially  campus, was not much of an effort. There were a lot more people out and about, a couple crowded basketball courts, and what appeared to be quite a few people seemingly not very concerned at a grocery store and a restaurant we picked up carryout at. Greeley is absolutely dead comparatively. It's probably just the natural progression and adjustments people have to begin to accept but, for today anyway, it seemed like two different worlds.

Interestingly, the 2 positive tests in Lincoln are of someone who visited Colorado last week and a family member of theirs. 

On 3/21/2020 at 10:00 AM, Thurston from Pender said:

Facts, charts and stats. 

Don’r panic.

http://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

You asked what disinformation you're disseminating.  This post from Medium, for one.  As @Red Five pointed out, anyone can post to Medium, so it's not a good source for unimpeachable factual information.

And it's being debunked, because people are spreading it and others are believing it.

That post on Medium? It's been taken down. It's full of errors.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1