Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe it's because Colorado is a few days ahead of Nebraska on this deal but the social "distancing" I witnessed, in Lincoln and especially  campus, was not much of an effort. There were a lot more people out and about, a couple crowded basketball courts, and what appeared to be quite a few people seemingly not very concerned at a grocery store and a restaurant we picked up carryout at. Greeley is absolutely dead comparatively. It's probably just the natural progression and adjustments people have to begin to accept but, for today anyway, it seemed like two different worlds.

NC not a lot of social distancing.......Lowes/Home Depot packed.....Restaurants are closed for take out only.  Gambling is illegal, but we have "sweepstakes" businesses (video poker/fish games) that are PACKED out (illegal gambling)......Hoping people understand we are in the mitigation phase and half a$$ed trying won't get it done....

US Surgeon General: "This week, it's going to get bad"

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams gave a "somber" message to the nation while speaking on NBC this morning,  

"I want America to understand — this week, it's going to get bad," Adams told NBC's Savannah Guthrie, adding that some people have not been properly practicing social distancing.

"This is how the spread is occurring. So we really, really need everyone to stay at home," Adams said. "I think that there are a lot of people who are doing the right things, but I think that unfortunately we're finding out a lot of people think this can't happen to them."

Red Five:

I read Carl's tweets. In one of the first ones he frankly admitted he didn't understand the stock market. What?! 

How can one be an intelligent American adult over the age of 25 and not understand the stock market? A remarkable admission of astounding ignorance. 

In his Twitter profile he writes that he is a, "he/him."

This academic has ZERO credibility with me. 

@Mavric I was at a presentation by an epidemiology expert who discussed seasonal variation of viruses. He said that the data about whether the weather has an effect is unclear, but generally climate/weather is not considered to be a driving issue for virus spread. Viruses are perennial in the tropics, for example. However, there's a lot of data to support that virus spread is strongly influenced by kids being in school vs being out of school. He said that one of his main concerns was what was going to happen when kids go back to school in the the fall.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Why don't you open up your mind to opposing points of view? 

Any and all political news/commentary regarding the coronavirus must be kept in the appropriate coronavirus thread in the P&R forum. I have moved a couple of your posts there.

This goes for everyone. We understand that, at times, the lines in this discussion may be blurred. We ask each of you to use good judgement when deciding which thread to post in. I am currently being lenient about this, however, I will no longer be patient if this continues to be an issue.

• Thanks 2

Air Pollution in Lombardy, Italy - interesting stuff - I guess in Lombardy they have a higher prevalence of Multiple Sclerosis cases and research has tied it to very high air pollution. I guess some are wondering if there is a correlation to the air pollution and the prevalence of severe Covid cases. Below is the air quality map, Madrid and Northern Italy appear to be very poor air quality, also are struggling the most with Covid in Europe. 

Sentinel-5P_sees_nitrogen_dioxide_over_E

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Stanford prof and Nobel prize winner: We are going to be fine. 

Is this guy good enough? 

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

no one says we aren't going to be fine.   we are going through some rough times right now but it will run it's course.   the question is what are we willing to pay for running that course?   masses of people needing critical care at once....or spreading that medical need over time.   

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Is this guy good enough? 

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

Here's a partial version if like me you're ad blocked:

https://macdailynews.com/2020/03/22/nobel-laureate-predicts-quick-coronavirus-recovery-were-going-to-be-fine/

Note that he's saying social distancing is working:

While many epidemiologists are warning of months, or even years, of massive social disruption and millions of deaths, Levitt says the data simply don’t support such a dire scenario — especially in areas where reasonable social distancing measures are in place.

16 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Is this guy good enough? 

Naturally the "we" here doesn't include the thousands dead or with ruined businesses or losing their job and healthcare and savings.

But yeah everyone else will get through it easy enough.