Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

34 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Stanford prof and Nobel prize winner: We are going to be fine. 

Is this guy good enough? 

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate

I think first you need to come clean about why you're so intent on claiming this is not a big deal. Everything you're saying seems politically motivated:

18 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

The Governors of New York and California are making wild predictions of months of doom; millions infected. They are wrong. Terribly wrong. 

You keep parroting right-wing takes on this virus.  And the governors of both California and New York are Democrats.  So there's a very clear political angle you're approaching this from, and yet you won't take your conversation to P&R.  That's telling.

So here's your latest offering - Nobel Laureate! Stanford Professor!

From your article:

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted.  Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world.

First point - China cordoned off Wuhan and used the army to force people to stay in their houses.  America is not doing that. So bad analogy to start. All his comparisons to China really aren't going to extrapolate here.

And here's the right-wing line, AGAIN:

But he also blames the media for causing unnecessary panic by focusing on the relentless increase in the cumulative number of cases and spotlighting celebrities who contract the virus.

And again, nope. "The media" is not a monolith. "The media" is not causing "panic" (this is a right-wing propaganda line).  There is no panic in this country. People buying out shelves of toilet paper is not "panic."

Please stop posting this nonsense in this thread. It's political and doesn't belong here.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

And businesses are being ruined due to extreme measures taken in some states and cities. 

This thing has been over-hyped. More people die of the regular flu each year. 

it's the hospitals who are crying for more protective gear, more respirators, more tests.   they know this stuff.   the news is reporting that.    the experts are saying that this would be much more devastating than the flu if we don't shut things down.    now....if the shut down works and saves a million lives...there will be people who point and say "see...it wasn't that bad".   

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Air Pollution in Lombardy, Italy - interesting stuff - I guess in Lombardy they have a higher prevalence of Multiple Sclerosis cases and research has tied it to very high air pollution. I guess some are wondering if there is a correlation to the air pollution and the prevalence of severe Covid cases. Below is the air quality map, Madrid and Northern Italy appear to be very poor air quality, also are struggling the most with Covid in Europe. 

Sentinel-5P_sees_nitrogen_dioxide_over_E

It is interesting how Spain & Italy works well into this theory, but I wonder how Germany works with it. There is a pretty bad splotch over Cologne/Dusseldorf that doesn't seem to have appeared in Germany. Germany currently has a pretty low death count/percentage. 

And again, nope. "The media" is not a monolith. "The media" is not causing "panic" (this is a right-wing propaganda line).  There is no panic in this country. People buying out shelves of toilet paper is not "panic."

Please stop posting this nonsense in this thread. It's political and doesn't belong here.

The Pender police and Thurston County sheriff are patrolling the village and I'm trapped in my house! Same deal as in Wuhan!

The Wal-Mart in Fremont is getting emptied out. There's no traffic on the highway. No commerce. Have you seen the photos of NYC and LA? Yeah, it's a total panic. 

The stock market is down 35% in less than a month. Three years of gains evaporated. Yeah, it's a panic. 

And how did you conclude my posts were political? That's entirely your conclusion. I never once referred to the Democrat party or liberals or the media. 

Where did you *ever* get the idea that just referring to "the media" is a right-wing talking point?

Since I received a superior education at UNL, I can tell you that the media (both sides) are using the "ticking clock" rhetorical device to make this seem way bigger than it is. How many deaths in NE due to the Wuhan virus? How many cases in a state of 1.8m? Hint: not that many. 

Dude, you are missing the big picture here. And I, as a Master of the Universe, have tried to explain it to you but you refuse to learn. Your fault. 

• Plus1 1

Right-wing media is pushing the idea of "panic" over this virus. It's pretty clear where you're getting this from, and it doesn't belong here.

Wal-Mart in Fremont is not, in fact, emptied out. Not sure where you're making that claim (I presume it's a joke) but your friendly local Fremont Tribune has nothing on this.

There is commerce. The highways are not, in fact, empty. I'm looking out my window at I-80 right now and I can see dozens of trucks driving past Lincoln.  So, again presuming this is a joke, but it's not funny. This whole schtick is not funny.

There is no such thing as the "Wuhan virus."  The CDC has warned, repeatedly, about using ethno-centric terms to describe this virus. But right-wing media continues to use it, as does Trump.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, deedsker said:

It is interesting how Spain & Italy works well into this theory, but I wonder how Germany works with it. There is a pretty bad splotch over Cologne/Dusseldorf that doesn't seem to have appeared in Germany. Germany currently has a pretty low death count/percentage. 

Yep, just a theory at this point, but will be interesting how it progresses. It obviously is going to be a problem across the world but Northern Italy seems to be a perfect storm to create the worst of the worst.

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"This thing" has only been known about for a few months. How do you know if it's being over- or under-hyped?

Who is "over-hyping" it?

Why would they do that?

Have you seen Covid's schedule knap? They haven't played anyone.  Totally overhyped.  Wait til it faces some real teams and get back to me.  If it played an SEC schedule, it would be 4-8.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Have you seen Covid's schedule knap? They haven't played anyone.  Totally overhyped.  Wait til it faces some real teams and get back to me.  If it played an SEC schedule, it would be 4-8.

it's going to kill 33% of the SEC!  

9 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

As of 2 March 2020, among OECD countries, 7476 patients had tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, with 96 deaths (mortality rate 1.3%)

Note that the data is all from before March 2nd. Italy alone changes all the numbers for OECD countries. Italy has over 63000 confirmed cases and over 6000 deaths.