Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Let's take a look at this idea that some seem to think they need to believe.  So...this isn't as bad as the common flu.

Well, as of February 21st, the flu season was 5 months old.  It started early October.  It had killed 14,000.  LINK

So, October through February is 151 days.  That's 92.7 deaths per day.  Yesterday, we had 117 deaths.  So far, we've had 100 deaths today (4:21pm central).  That number will go up before the day is over.  So....let's just say it stays at 100 deaths per day.  That means, over 5 months, this disease would kill 15,100 people.  But...there is no way it's staying at 100.  In fact, like I said, today will be higher by the time it's over. 

Edit:  It already is over 100 at 4:40pm central.

Let's look at Spain.  They are now going over 400 deaths per day.  Over that same time frame, that means 60,400 people would die.  

Italy?  650+ deaths a day.  That works out to 98,000 deaths.

Now...all of the countries that are on the list of infected countries have implemented or are in the process of implementing very strict crack downs on society to limit the spread.  That includes the heaviest hit countries.

So...another thing I would like to hear from some of these Coronavirus truthers.  What you do is point to these countries and say....see....it all fades away over time.  So...Name one country where the virus has taken off like it has in parts of the US, that didn't do hardly anything to limit the spread....and the virus just sort of fizzled out and didn't do much.

Can you name any?  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

BRB:

That's an interesting phrase: coronavirus truthers. Obviously a reference to the nuts who think that the US did the attacks on 9-11. That's reminiscent of referring to CAGW skeptics as "deniers" after the loons that think the murder of 6m Jews during WW2 was just made up. Use of both phrases are pure libel and the worst sort of rhetoric, but common for you progs. 

I'm not going to persuade you and RedDenver and I'm not going to waste more time on you. 

But let's revisit this in 30 days. As a Master of the Universe, I'm confident that I'm right. I usually am. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

BRB:

That's an interesting phrase: coronavirus truthers. Obviously a reference to the nuts who think that the US did the attacks on 9-11. That's reminiscent of referring to CAGW skeptics as "deniers" after the loons that think the murder of 6m Jews during WW2 was just made up. Use of both phrases are pure libel and the worst sort of rhetoric, but common for you progs. 

I'm not going to persuade you and RedDenver and I'm not going to waste more time on you. 

But let's revisit this in 30 days. As a Master of the Universe, I'm confident that I'm right. I usually am. 

So...you can't name any. :dunno

11 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

BRB:

Seems like you've done a lot of research on this, what is your opinion of the R0 of coronavirus and IFR/CFR. Do you think CFR is inflated due to many cases being not tested? Do you think true IFR is closer to the flu? Are you worried about the R0 indicating it could be more contagious than the flu? Interested to why you don't think it will be that big of a deal, do you anticipate a vaccine in the next couple months? Do you think we will find effective treatment plans? Do you think it's so widespread we will develop herd immunity, and the virus will "burn out"? 

I don't think this virus is the end of times, and I think in the near future we will need another strategy other than mass lockdowns, but this virus will require a massive plan of action over the next year, even if we flatten the curve over the next month.

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Well, you've already claimed it will blow over by April 19th:

On 3/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, Thurston from Pender said:

This thing blows over in 30 days. The King of Huskerboard has spoken! 

I have a strange feeling you'll suddenly stop coming to the board right around then.

• Plus1 2

I don't typically air other posters' dirty laundry outside of the Shed, but Thurston is now the master of a 30-day suspension to think about what it means when a mod asks to keep political news/commentary out of this thread.

Please do not follow in these footsteps. :thumbs

• Thanks 6
7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Any and all political news/commentary regarding the coronavirus must be kept in the appropriate coronavirus thread in the P&R forum. I have moved a couple of your posts there.

This goes for everyone. We understand that, at times, the lines in this discussion may be blurred. We ask each of you to use good judgement when deciding which thread to post in. I am currently being lenient about this, however, I will no longer be patient if this continues to be an issue.

Muchas gracias. Sh!t gets old.  Coronavirus doesn't see politics.....

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I don't typically air other posters' dirty laundry outside of the Shed, but Thurston is now the master of a 30-day suspension to think about what it means when a mod asks to keep political news/commentary out of this thread.

Please do not follow in these footsteps. :thumbs

Thank you, in all seriousness, thank you.

• Fire 1