Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Thinking about this stuff on a state level makes it easier to grasp:

"Again, if we were to do nothing, nearly 67,500 Utahns would get sick and require hospitalization by next month — roughly 17 times the number of available hospital beds in the entire state and more than 100 times the number of ventilators there are in the state.

Unable to care for all of the sick, an estimated 64,000 would die in Utah alone."

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/23/robert-gehrke-will-utah/?fbclid=IwAR1xAsHi11DpRklAPTcW93NIU66ayS9gvVZFkyIcD-biQvj-OuWMyB9csOw

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Right-wing media is pushing the idea of "panic" over this virus. It's pretty clear where you're getting this from, and it doesn't belong here.

Wal-Mart in Fremont is not, in fact, emptied out. Not sure where you're making that claim (I presume it's a joke) but your friendly local Fremont Tribune has nothing on this.

There is commerce. The highways are not, in fact, empty. I'm looking out my window at I-80 right now and I can see dozens of trucks driving past Lincoln.  So, again presuming this is a joke, but it's not funny. This whole schtick is not funny.

There is no such thing as the "Wuhan virus."  The CDC has warned, repeatedly, about using ethno-centric terms to describe this virus. But right-wing media continues to use it, as does Trump.

I was at Menard's in Elkhorn yesterday casually buying garden seeds...

Some may say I'm a survivalist rummaging through minimal resources to feed my family...

Talked to a neighbor the other day.....Coronavirus came up.  Happens he is a research scientist that studies respiratory virus.  Works at our local (prominent hospital).  Says we are not doing much to flatten the curve.  Thinks things are worse off than they appear to "prevent panic".  Thinks we should do a nationwide lockdown.  Says hand washing and social distancing are the key.  Doesn't see a lot of that save for the cities going into lockdown........Had a neighbor just lose both parents in CT in a matter of days to Covid. It is a MFer....Plain and simple.  

People need to listen to the CDC.  Gas, grocery and doctors and that's it.....NC Gov just cancelled school (K-12) until May 15....All colleges/universities on line only.....Bars/Restaurants already closed.  Weds tattoo parlors, sweepstakes, movie theatres , nail salons, hair salons etc.....

Stay well Huskerboard.  Help those who need it.  Be human...

And if I am wrong, who cares. I spend more quality time with the fam, get back to basics, be a better human......

• Plus1 4

I am gratified to see that many are starting to take this seriously.  It is important that we do what we can to "flatten the curve" so that we do not overwhelm the medical system.   The fact of that matter is that we don't really know what the attack rate for this virus will be (i.e., how many will catch it.  We don't know what the final case fatality rate will be, 3% has been postulated, but we won't know for some time.  One thing to remember is that, at least locally, we are not very many people with mild symptoms, so the actual number of cases is likely much higher than the reported case numbers.  I do not know if that is the case for New York.  We are still on target for 50,000 cases by Wednesday, but it looks like it will not be 90,000.  The last 3 days or so have seen a slight slowing in the overall rate of increase of new cases, but it is not enough to say it is a trend.  The danger in positions like Thurston's is that if we under-react, by the time we figure that out, it is too late to try to put the genie back in the bottle.  Distancing is the only tool that we can be confident in at the moment.  It is important to use it.  

We should all please remember that we are all in this together.  If you have friends or neighbors in a high risk group, offer to pick up groceries for them if you are going.  Also, we need to be cognizant of the fact that those with little means are likely to be most affected by the economic impact of this thing.  Don't forget your local food bank.  

Stay home if you can.  Go out if you must, but keep your distance from others (about 6') and wash your hands.  'There is a difference between panic and being smart.  

Again, if you have a fever and cough, please call your medical office before coming in.  They can tell you if you need to be evaluated , or if you can care for yourself at home.  Everyone with a cough that comes in burns up a mask that is hard to replace most people with have mild symptoms that do not require special medical care.  

Be Safe.  will check in on Wed.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

All we gotta do is what South Korea did. En masse.  It'll take some time, but we can get it under control.

Not an alarmist, but I HOPE we do not lift the travel restrictions or whatever POTUS wants to do as early as one week from now.....Let's keep to closures, hope the stimulus passes and we can truly mitigate this.  IMHO, non-expert opinion, looking at the incredibly mobile and fluid population we have, I do not think trying to only regulate "hot spots" will work.  But that's just me.  

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, lo country said:

Talked to a neighbor the other day.....Coronavirus came up.  Happens he is a research scientist that studies respiratory virus.  Works at our local (prominent hospital).  Says we are not doing much to flatten the curve.  Thinks things are worse off than they appear to "prevent panic".  Thinks we should do a nationwide lockdown.  Says hand washing and social distancing are the key.  Doesn't see a lot of that save for the cities going into lockdown........Had a neighbor just lose both parents in CT in a matter of days to Covid. It is a MFer....Plain and simple.  

This made me realize a strange phenomenon I'm experiencing right now, but it's sort of hard to describe.

I've essentially gone into a full lockdown since last Tuesday, and I consider myself very blessed/fortunate to be able to do so with my line of work and overall life situation. But, it also wasn't that hard. I've definitely had to make some sacrifices to make it work. The inside of my home office is beginning to feel like a prison. However, it's the right thing to do.

So, when I see things about people choosing to NOT social distance, and that pockets of the country are not doing what they're supposed to be doing, it's almost hard to believe. I've only seen my wife the last four days. I've left the house to go on dog walks, exercise outside and the grocery store; nothing more. And if me being an effective hermit for the foreseeable future has even the smallest chance of helping to save lives... that feels pretty worth it.

• Plus1 5
31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This made me realize a strange phenomenon I'm experiencing right now, but it's sort of hard to describe.

I've essentially gone into a full lockdown since last Tuesday, and I consider myself very blessed/fortunate to be able to do so with my line of work and overall life situation. But, it also wasn't that hard. I've definitely had to make some sacrifices to make it work. The inside of my home office is beginning to feel like a prison. However, it's the right thing to do.

So, when I see things about people choosing to NOT social distance, and that pockets of the country are not doing what they're supposed to be doing, it's almost hard to believe. I've only seen my wife the last four days. I've left the house to go on dog walks, exercise outside and the grocery store; nothing more. And if me being an effective hermit for the foreseeable future has even the smallest chance of helping to save lives... that feels pretty worth it.

It truly is extremely selfish of people who think they can just do whatever they want because a) they don't believe the hype or, b) the rules don't apply to them.

• Plus1 2

Former Kansas City Chiefs Great Will Shields Donates To

Families Impacted By Coronavirus

By Oliver Vandervoort    March 21, 2020    www.inquisitr.com

Shields announced earlier this week that he was donating 96,000 meals to Harvesters, as well as the Food Pantry at Jewish Family Services. Both organizations are well-known to the Kansas City Chiefs community.  LINK

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, NUance said:

Former Kansas City Chiefs Great Will Shields Donates To

Families Impacted By Coronavirus

By Oliver Vandervoort    March 21, 2020    www.inquisitr.com

Shields announced earlier this week that he was donating 96,000 meals to Harvesters, as well as the Food Pantry at Jewish Family Services. Both organizations are well-known to the Kansas City Chiefs community.  LINK

One year when Bill Callahan was coach (I think) we were volunteering at the Matt Talbot kitchen. Just as we're starting to prep for dinner one Saturday, these guys come in and say that Will Shields threw a tailgate for some of the 1990s players (so it must have been Homecoming?) and they had a TON of leftover food, and did we want it.  So we put the food we were going to make into the fridge and served what they donated. 

It was amazing Southern comfort food. I believe there were collard greens, and I'm not really sure what else, but there were for sure red beans and rice that were just absolutely amazing.  Shields' mom made it, and everyone loved it.

But there was SO MUCH food.  We fed everyone who came to the kitchen that night, then took a couple of huge containers to the Mission on 1st street, and we still had enough leftover that each of the volunteers took home a container.  And that was after they'd all eaten at the tailgate. 

Best beans & rice ever.  Would love to have that recipe.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

One year when Bill Callahan was coach (I think) we were volunteering at the Matt Talbot kitchen. Just as we're starting to prep for dinner one Saturday, these guys come in and say that Will Shields threw a tailgate for some of the 1990s players (so it must have been Homecoming?) and they had a TON of leftover food, and did we want it.  So we put the food we were going to make into the fridge and served what they donated. 

It was amazing Southern comfort food. I believe there were collard greens, and I'm not really sure what else, but there were for sure red beans and rice that were just absolutely amazing.  Shields' mom made it, and everyone loved it.

But there was SO MUCH food.  We fed everyone who came to the kitchen that night, then took a couple of huge containers to the Mission on 1st street, and we still had enough leftover that each of the volunteers took home a container.  And that was after they'd all eaten at the tailgate. 

Best beans & rice ever.  Would love to have that recipe.

This is interesting.  I recently held a hospitality event in Salt Lake City.  We had a ton of food left over and someone mentioned there was a mission around the corner and I said I wanted to send the food over there.  I was told I couldn't because it wasn't in sealed containers and already cooked.  It still pisses me off.  I wish I would have just loaded up the food, drove it over there and made them tell me they didn't want it.  I'm guessing they would have LOVED to have it.

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is interesting.  I recently held a hospitality event in Salt Lake City.  We had a ton of food left over and someone mentioned there was a mission around the corner and I said I wanted to send the food over there.  I was told I couldn't because it wasn't in sealed containers and already cooked.  It still pisses me off.  I wish I would have just loaded up the food, drove it over there and made them tell me they didn't want it.  I'm guessing they would have LOVED to have it.

Different local health codes, maybe?  I can see why they would balk at open food like that. It's too bad, though. Was there a bunch of waste then?

The NCAA has suffered a major decrease in revenue for the current fiscal year due to the coronavirus pandemic forcing a shutdown on spring sprints, including the cancellation of the always lucrative NCAA Tournament, according to a major credit-rating firm in a report from USA Today. The NCAA faces decreases of $475 million in revenues and $380 million in expenses for its current fiscal year, a 42 percent decline in revenue and a 36 percent slash in expenses from 2019, according to figures observed by Moody’s Investors Service.

• Plus1 1