Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

I'm a doctor at Nebraska Medicine. Here's what I'm telling my family about COVID-19 

By Daniel W Johnson, MD, Nebraska Medicine critical care anesthesiologist  Published March 17, 2020

<snip>

If anyone hears from family or friends who think this is “no big deal,” or that the USA’s response has been excessive, please know that they are very wrong. I’m sure you have all read about the many reasons that this is NOT “just like flu.” The numbers of infected, worldwide and in the USA, are extreme underestimates (because many infected have not been tested). The best metric to use, right now, is talking with hospital workers in the hotbeds, and asking them what their situation is.

I have been in communication with a friend who is a critical care physician from the Lombardy region of Italy. The health care workers there are living in a nightmare, having to decide who lives and who dies from lack of oxygen because their health care system is overwhelmed.   LINK

==================================================  

An article from last week.  Seems very relevant though.  

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Not saying I want to watch, but I hope more videos start coming out from inside hospitals. I feel like people need to see in order to take things more seriously.

My fiancée just told me tonight that the general public has no idea what they are going through inside the hospitals. She just had 2 night shifts in a row. No COVID confirmed patients, but you just don't know if someone is a carrier or not... I posted in the status update, but it sounds like one of her friends who is treating confirmed cases will be doing a video diary for major news outlets. Her stories sound like a battlefield... The way she talks sounds like somebody who just game out of a warzone. Like they'll have PTSD.

Another nurse friend is pregnant and in the next few months. She's worried that if she catches she will be quarantined away from her child until well.

USA is number 1.  As many have said already, please do not go out unless you have to.  Please stay away from others if you do.  Wash, wash, wash when you get home.  For your co-workers sake DO NOT GO TO WORK SICK.  Even if you don't have COVID-19, you will spread what you have around and schmuck's like me will have to try to sort stuff out.  

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

everybody laughs at me before this stuff happens for being a prepper well whos laughin now?

psst.....we are still laughing. 

but seriously...if you have any masks or gloves that the hospitals can use and are sitting on that hoard....you are not being patriotic if you don't donate them.  keep the tp and canned goods...we will do fine without them.  but please help the doctors and nurses if you can.

• Plus1 3