Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Pretty interesting article from a doctor who has COVID and survived the Cytokine Storm, aka the relapse phase.

https://www.salon.com/test/2020/04/05/what-it-feels-like-to-survive-covid-19s-dreaded-cytokine-storm/

The cytokine storm affects a substantial number of severe COVID-19 patients, enough that it has become the subject of a subset of medical researchinto COVID-19. Those unlucky enough to experience cytokine storm will have their bodies and especially lungs flooded with cytokines, immune system helper molecules, as their immune system struggles to fight off the invading virus and the dead lung cells it produces en masse. The overreaction results in the immune system building up too many of these kinds of cells, which can lead to respiratory distress or bacterial pneumonia and, ultimately, death.

Not everyone who experiences a cytokine storm will die, fortunately. Such is the case of Jonathan Raskin, a 69-year-old pulmonologist who practices medicine in New York City, and who contracted coronavirus a few weeks ago and is currently in recovery. After self-isolating at home, Dr. Raskin's temperature swelled to 102.8°; he spent several days in the hospital in a very bad state (by his own admission) before slowly recovering. As a pulmonologist, Dr. Raskin's insights into what was happening to his own body are particularly keen, as he had a medical understanding of what was happening as it happened to him.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Immediately jumping to giving a thumbs up for a normal amount of country/worldwide events with 10-150,000 people is also not realistic. 

We will stop staying at home all the time. Business will start to go more back to normal. But we need to be careful ramping up certain "massive large gatherings" elements of society. 

idk about the season. Herbstreit doesn't think so, amongst many others. There's some vague writing on the wall that makes me nervous, like Oklahoma canceling all organized athletic meetings until the end of July. Dabo Swinney seems to think we'll have the season, but then again he's a selfish dips#!t who keeps taking his family on vacations in private jets during all of this. 

I didn’t say immediately....but that’s a weird timeframe to consider as the next 4-5 months.  Also 10-150k is quite the range.  

the fact is we don’t know how serious this is yet, anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.  If we did know anything about this the original “models” wouldn’t have been scribbled on a roll of quilted charmin, and been off, at least by yesterday’s numbers, 150k hospitalizations to the negative.....5k icu admits to the negative.  They finally revised those #’s saying 80k (not 240k) will die but even those numbers, projected vs actual, were off on hospitalizations and icu admits significantly.  There are a dozen therapeutic agents in review or trial.  Not to mention they are artificially raising the death rate caused by COVID-19, not bs and well documented.  Look it up, as an example, the 80 yr old that passed last week in Douglas county was called covid....he’d been in hospice for a week before dx.

herbstreit had no inside knowledge.  At some point this cure is worse than the disease.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

Shutting down the economy and telling people to stay at home from March to July isn’t realistic.  People are going to continue to get this through the yr and into the fall.  SIP wasn’t about stopping it for good it was about managing the peak.  People need to quit moving he goalposts.  You can already see the models they used were/are complete and utter garbage.  They have until may and then regardless of what the government says you will start to see less and less adoption anyway.  They need to quit overplaying their hand and figure out a way to open up, sooner rather than later.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Not to mention they are artificially raising the death rate caused by COVID-19, not bs and well documented.  Look it up, as an example, the 80 yr old that passed last week in Douglas county was called covid....he’d been in hospice for a week before dx.

I don't know the specific instance you're referring to but I am familiar with the argument you're making. The man being in hospice does not negate covid in his death. Someone with a pre-existing disease or autoimmune deficiency dying "from" that but having corona virus also doesn't negate the death being related to corona virus and accurately recorded as such.

Not only that, but there are also under reports of COVID-19 deaths, as well.

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone.

We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee

Source - 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't know the specific instance you're referring to but I am familiar with the argument you're making. The man being in hospice does not negate covid in his death. Someone with a pre-existing disease or autoimmune deficiency dying "from" that but having corona virus also doesn't negate the death being related to corona virus and accurately recorded as such.

Source - 

It doesn’t, however, if he died because of covid or with covid are two different things.  Not to mention the newborn that was in Connecticut just last week as the first infant to die with covid.  The baby did have covid, the baby died because his mom suffocated him.  My larger point though is nobody knows how serious this is, the models are all hot garbage and actually indicate it’s not Armageddon.  Time will tell.  Additionally, there is an economic argument to make.  Article last week said majority of fbs schools couldn’t exist if they skipped a football season....expand that to the downtown areas and hotels of these campuses.  Downtown Lincoln, in addition to many others, will be a ghost town.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Source - 

Btw , Levine is also the same individual that had to walk back the tweet about burying ppl in temporary graves in Central Park.  When they asked cuomo he said he knew nothing about it.  When pressed Levine said it was just something being discussed but not needed.  Hardly someone I’d look at for good info.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

It doesn’t, however, if he died because of covid or with covid are two different things.  Not to mention the newborn that was in Connecticut just last week as the first infant to die with covid.  The baby did have covid, the baby died because his mom suffocated him.  My larger point though is nobody knows how serious this is, the models are all hot garbage and actually indicate it’s not Armageddon.  Time will tell.  Additionally, there is an economic argument to make.  Article last week said majority of fbs schools couldn’t exist if they skipped a football season....expand that to the downtown areas and hotels of these campuses.  Downtown Lincoln, in addition to many others, will be a ghost town.

Okay, so your tolerance level after about one month of inconvenience is to draw the line at letting this virus impact a football season regardless of the impact on high risk groups and who may die. Good to know.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay, so your tolerance level after about one month of inconvenience is to draw the line at letting this virus impact a football season regardless of the impact on high risk groups and who may die. Good to know.

If that’s what you took out of what I said try to read it again.  The modeling used to close the country was based on garbage so produced garbage.  I agree that the 4-6 weeks we are in now was likely necessary to slow and prepare stockpiles and research therapies.  However, the distancing was never about eradicating the virus it was about flattening the curve.  There will be cases until a vaccine is developed or wide therapies are available.  You don’t stop the economy for a virus longer than that, especially for something that has a potential fatality rate of .4-.7%.  

and don’t make it sound like it is just a game.  Peoples livelihoods are directly related to the incomes generated during this times.  Many won’t make it for the 8 weeks of mandatory shutdowns this spring.  As stated, a majority of fbs programs won’t make it without a season.

2 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

I didn’t say immediately....but that’s a weird timeframe to consider as the next 4-5 months.  Also 10-150k is quite the range.  

the fact is we don’t know how serious this is yet, anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.  If we did know anything about this the original “models” wouldn’t have been scribbled on a roll of quilted charmin, and been off, at least by yesterday’s numbers, 150k hospitalizations to the negative.....5k icu admits to the negative.  They finally revised those #’s saying 80k (not 240k) will die but even those numbers, projected vs actual, were off on hospitalizations and icu admits significantly.  There are a dozen therapeutic agents in review or trial.  Not to mention they are artificially raising the death rate caused by COVID-19, not bs and well documented.  Look it up, as an example, the 80 yr old that passed last week in Douglas county was called covid....he’d been in hospice for a week before dx.

herbstreit had no inside knowledge.  At some point this cure is worse than the disease.

What a load of BS. 

So, the over whelming of NYC , New Jersey....etc along with the overwhelming of morgues around the world is just a hoax. 

Welcome to why we won’t have football in the fall. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What a load of BS. 

So, the over whelming of NYC , New Jersey....etc along with the overwhelming of morgues around the world is just a hoax. 

Welcome to why we won’t have football in the fall. 

I didn’t say that.  Jesus do you guys actually read what I said.  NYC isn’t NE and no what is happening in NYC isn’t coming to NE in part because of our early mitigation.  What is happening in NYC is real, that being said, the model used data set from Italy and NYC and plugged to every scenario across the US.  Surely you see the issue with that and it’s why it’s way off.  I said what we are doing now was necessary but it shouldn’t go in much past early May without some EASING of restrictions.  

the fall isn’t now but 4-5 months from now and a lot can change.....one being our understanding of this virus which right now is pretty clear we have no friggin idea....hence the garbage modeling.  

btw, before anyone gets high and mighty.  My family and I haven’t left the house since March outside of the trips to the grocery stores

20 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

If that’s what you took out of what I said try to read it again.  The modeling used to close the country was based on garbage so produced garbage.  I agree that the 4-6 weeks we are in now was likely necessary to slow and prepare stockpiles and research therapies.  However, the distancing was never about eradicating the virus it was about flattening the curve.  There will be cases until a vaccine is developed or wide therapies are available.  You don’t stop the economy for a virus longer than that, especially for something that has a potential fatality rate of .4-.7%.  

and don’t make it sound like it is just a game.  Peoples livelihoods are directly related to the incomes generated during this times.  Many won’t make it for the 8 weeks of mandatory shutdowns this spring.  As stated, a majority of fbs programs won’t make it without a season.

It may be about flattening the curve a bit longer is all I’m trying to say.  You don’t put 90k people on top of each other if you haven’t developed a vaccine and don’t have a cure. Maybe I’ll feel better about it when the hospitals have all the PPE and ventilators they need. I just haven’t seen much progress or much of anything that makes me confident we’ll be managing this thing any better 3-4 months from now.

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It may be about flattening the curve a bit longer is all I’m trying to say.  You don’t put 90k people on top of each other if you haven’t developed a vaccine and don’t have a cure. Maybe I’ll feel better about it when the hospitals have all the PPE and ventilators they need. I just haven’t seen much progress or much of anything that makes me confident we’ll be managing this thing any better 3-4 months from now.

Flattening the curve for 5 months?  Not what was sold by the government initially and will be awfully hard to do over 5 months.  Listen, I’m not saying it’s going to be full.  One way to do it would be to sell season tickets in 3 packs similar to what they used to do for basketball, allow for some separation.  I’m just saying there is no way you stop all this for 4-5 months.  My point is there are options that don’t begin and end with cancelling the season.  Are people going to continue to get sick, yep from covid and other things.  A vaccine likely won’t stop that.  

btw, while shortages do exist I’ve yet to hear any hospital not having ppe (again it is on short supply but being replenished daily, from cuomo presser) and nobody to date has gone without a ventilator, again per cuomo.