Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i just don't see this happening.....you would have to quarantine the whole football team and coaches to keep the co vid from getting started....just too much contact on and off the field.  as for the fans showing up at the stadium?  nightmare!

College athletes are in the age class that is least affected by this virus.  Quit watching CNN and go enjoy some sunshine.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

College athletes are in the age class that is least affected by this virus.  Quit watching CNN and go enjoy some sunshine.  

This is a VERY dangerous take.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/opinion/coronavirus-young-people.html

The second day I was sick, I woke up to what felt like hot tar buried deep in my chest. I could not get a deep breath unless I was on all fours. I’m healthy. I’m a runner. I’m 33 years old.

Finally, Dr. Audrey Tan walked toward me, her kind eyes meeting mine from behind a mask, goggles and a face shield. “Any asthma?” she asked. “Do you smoke? Any pre-existing conditions?” “No, no, none,” I replied. Dr. Tan smiled, then shook her head, almost imperceptibly. “I wish I could do something for you,” she said.

I am one of the lucky ones. I never needed a ventilator. I survived. But 27 days later, I still have lingering pneumonia. I use two inhalers, twice a day. I can’t walk more than a few blocks without stopping.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/coronavirus-treatment-sorrento-says-it-has-cure/

Tiny biotech company Sorrento Therapeutics (SRNE) claimed Friday its experimental coronavirus treatment is a cure for Covid-19. Meanwhile, another company said it gained authorization for a coronavirus test.

In preclinical testing, Sorrento's antibody drug provided "100% inhibition" of SARS-CoV-2 — the new coronavirus that causes Covid-19 — within four days. Sorrento expects this antibody to be the first in a drug cocktail that would create a "protective shield" against infection.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Branno said:

How is it VERY dangerous to state a fact about impacts by age class openly admitted by all involved?  Getting away from the news and enjoying some sunshine and fresh air is also widely recommended and one of the most healthy things any of us can do right now.     

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Branno said:

VERY? Come on. Cherry picking one article doesn’t constitute a legit sample size. The virus could have long term effects on the lungs of any aged person, but what the poster stated isn’t wrong either. The average age of death is something like 70 years old the last time I checked. 

I work in a small rural county in se ks. We have a little under 9,000 people in 500 square miles. We’re an hour south of Kansas City where a large portion of our residents commute for work. Most of us have what are considered essential jobs and we’ve only had 5 confirmed cases. 1 of which was a lady who was in her 60s. She was our first confirmed case and the only one to go to the hospital at all. She was released in less than 24 hours and made a full recovery. The vast majority of the people who have succumb to Covid have had underlying conditions. Huskerfans post about the nurse in New York is tragic, but I imo ( which I know means squat)  those instances are few and far between, and more the exception then the rule. 10 years ago I had a cousin in his early 30s die from the flu. It was tragic but definitely not the norm.  

I just don’t see how completely shutting down the football season and then those schools losing out on the revenue is feasible. I totally understand why they’re considering it and won’t ever question anyone who is looking out for the safety of others, especially our youth. But I think they need to make sure to make good informed decisions and not rush it.  Schools are already cutting athletic programs which in turn means kids lose out on getting some or all of their education paid for. I’m scared either way it’ll be a slippery slope that a lot of schools and athletic departments won’t be able to recover from. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Waldo said:

VERY? Come on. Cherry picking one article doesn’t constitute a legit sample size. The virus could have long term effects on the lungs of any aged person, but what the poster stated isn’t wrong either. The average age of death is something like 70 years old the last time I checked. 

The idea that we shouldn’t take this seriously because it only affects old people is an attitude that is going to get even more than the already 80+ thousand people killed. 

Yes, it’s a very dangerous take. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2
12 hours ago, Hilltop said:

What about coaches, staff, officials, athletes with asthma, sleep apnea, etc.?

On 5/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, Hilltop said:

I'm thankful for the tough guys out there, the armchair epidemiologists, that are going to be first in line for the placebo arm of the challenge trials for any potential vaccine.  Thank you for your service.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

I'm thankful for the tough guys out there, the armchair epidemiologists, that are going to be first in line for the placebo arm of the challenge trials for any potential vaccine.  Thank you for your service.

Why because he is correct?  Per CDC stats, you realize that since the start of February 158 people under the age of 24 have died of Covid?  Over that same period of time 262 people under age 24 have died of the flu?  That's 0.002% of the deaths attribute to Covid.  But I'll gladly take the placebo arm of the challenge trials as Covid isn't going to kill me.  Go enjoy some sunshine has hilltop suggests.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Both sides are correct.  The disease/virus is terrible if you actually get it.  It certainly can kill you and quickly.  Some young people have died no question.  But hiding under a rock is not the answer.

Personally if they play it will be fine with me.  If they don't pretty much the same.  Far more important things going on with this, than football.

I deal with it daily, 6 days a week unfortunately.  Wife is on the front line.  CNO with a far different opinion of doctors after this event.  ER doctors are gods in her eyes, the rest could go piss up a rope. Most are useless and terrified of the virus.  

The terror from this disease is so overblown it is beyond belief.  What we have done is like killing and ant with a bulldozer.  Makes no sense at all.  Our community has had two deaths at her hospital from Covid.  Both in their 80's and waited far to long to show up at the hospital.  Why?  Doctors are not taking calls, patients are terrified to go to the hospital or the Doctors office because of the continuous media claims they will die if they go out side.  People are dying in our community of heart attacks, strokes, kidney disease, drug overdose, spousal abuse, and just about everything else under the sun because of the continuous terror program thrown on this country. by the news media.  Many are not having surgeries that are needed because the surgery is considered non essential.  The hospitals are going broke because of this.  We should have attacked the source and protected the weak.  Easy to say now in hindsight.  But when the medical field can control something they will jump at the chance to do it. 

I offered a different opinion from a Chair head at Stanford.  He has a completely different opinion of what is going on.  He says the virus has been here since late October early November.  A lot of people here think they have had it.  Me for one, was never so sick in my life as I was in early November.  But not allowed to take the antibody test yet.  I think when that is allowed in California we will find out if Dr. Atlas is correct.

I am out every single day, and have been since this all started.  I work in communications and spend most of my time on mountain tops. If not there I ride my bicycle 25 to 30 miles a day.  I am a high risk individual.  73 years young. Two heart attacks and other problems, but still face every day as an opportunity to improve my self physically.  A Jar Head thing.  It just never goes away. lol

All of us want this thing to end, but we have to be smart about it.  There  isn't a need for LA to be locked down until we have a vaccine. California has lost close to 3000 people out of 45 million.  3000 is not a satisfactory number by any means, but this lock down here will end up killing more people than the virus, is my guess.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Please, it's not just the number of younger people killed that needs to be considered, here. This is not just an 'either you die or you don't' thing.

wGO29WK.png

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4

I think what’s great about our country is we are FREE, want to stay home cause your scared then stay home, want to go out cause your not scared then go out. So I think everyone would be best suited to handle themselves and their loved ones how they see fit and let everyone else handle their own s#!t. Just because you don’t want to go to a husker game because you are nervous doesn’t mean everyone should cancel the season. This is the US not China. Individuals and business can make their own choice not mandated by government. I believe the ncaa said it is up to each university to participate or not. I know I will worry about myself and do what I am comfortable with for me and my family. I don’t give a s#!t what my neighbor chooses to do. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2