Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Something to remember is that different areas are in different stages. Overall nationwide, the daily death toll has been slowly declining since mid-April. But in Iowa, for example, daily deaths have been slowly but steadily rising since March.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Toe said:

Something to remember is that different areas are in different stages. Overall nationwide, the daily death toll has been slowly declining since mid-April. But in Iowa, for example, daily deaths have been slowly but steadily rising since March.

That’s why I would think it would be a state by state decision. However I could see some unfair advantage claims by teams that cannot resume normal activities. Maybe individual conferences can equalize revenue among teams? 

4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Before making accusations you should at a minimum do a little homework.  Here is evidence for you straight off the Nebraska statewide Covid Page ( http://dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/Coronavirus.aspx )

According to their numbers, 37.9% of all positive cases were in people age 34 and under.  That is currently 5,634 younger people who have had the virus.  Out of those, 3 died.  That works out to .053%.  The same site also shows that 1.33% of those became sick enough to require hospitalization.  Keep in mind this is the age group least likely to even show symptoms or be tested.  It is safe to assume that the positive number for this age class is well above the numbers reported making the percentages fall even lower.  

Now if you take a group of athletes in this age class, in the best shape of their lives, and you test them daily, don't you think them playing football together is a hell of a lot safer than your neighborhood grocery store?  I would also say the coaches and staff around them are also a lot safer being with a group tested regularly than they are at your average backyard BBQ.  

Fans should get to choose.  Have them sign a waiver walking in and let each individual be responsible for their own health.    

I made no accusation, but just stated a fact and asked a question.  I stand by my post stating that what you posted was not backed by evidence or official recommendations.  It was your opinions and/or estimations.  That's fine, but it doesn't mean I was wrong with what I said.

Trust me, I've done my "homework" on the topic.  Now I'm going to paste your OP below, feel free to what part of it is validated by any of the evidence and facts you just posted above.

"They will recover quickly, just like 99.99% of all kids their age, and be back on the field in a week.  It actually would be a benefit for the majority of a team to have it and heal pre-season.  I know, the .01% will get really sick.  More college age football players will likely be seriously injured or killed in automobile accidents or from riots than Covid-19."

1.  You stated 99.9% will recover quickly and be back in competition in a week?  Well, 99.9% certainly looks like an arbitrary number and where exactly is any of this stated by the DHHS or any other expert/official recommendation?  I guess I need help there, because I can't find such a thing.  Just because they didn't die, doesn't mean there good to go in a week.  The recommendations actually are a 14 day quarantine so you don't spread it to others.

2. You suggested that CFB players are more likely to be seriously injured or killed in auto accidents or riots than COVID.  Again, where's the data?  You may be correct--especially with auto accidents, but are there numbers that I missed regarding CFB players and their morbidity/mortality rates during riots or COVID.  Official statements on the matter?

I'm not here to argue with anyone.  But I may call out opinions on the matter that I disagree with.  Some of those opinions are why fewer people seem to be wearing masks and now that things are opening back up, there appears to be a false sense of security about getting and/or spreading the virus.  Like when TeacherCD stated that essentially nobody at his gym is wearing masks.  That's just dumb and reckless behavior, IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

There are about 800,000 closed COVID-19 cases in the U.S.

86% of the patients recovered and were discharged, 14% died. That 14% is a pretty high number. We know it skews towards the elderly and folks with compromised conditions, including asthma and as it turns out, obesity.  For reasons still unclear blacks and latinos are disproportionately affected, perhaps relating to lower incomes and the poor diets and healthcare that come with it. Healthy young athletes no doubt pull a much smaller percentage. But where does the 300 pound African-American lineman stand? Or the 70 year old trainer? Our high school quarterback dropped dead at 19 from a condition he didn't know he had, because he was a 19 year old athlete and nobody thought to give him a heart scan. 

But let's say you get that number down to a 3% fatality rate. That seems low. But as someone explained it to me: imagine putting 100 Skittles into a bowl and knowing that 3 of those Skittles will kill you. How many Skittles would you be willing to eat? 

The shutdown has cost the nation trillions in just short term fed spending and state / local budgets are trillions in the red.   Trillions more in lost assets from failed businesses and losses suffered in equity markets, real and personal property etc etc.  Conservatively ten trillion and the numbers are still growing.  

Mortality rates are declining and thats just for the published / reported cases.  Govt is hiding the real infected numbers with studies suggesting 10 to 65 times the reported.  Covid caused Deaths are most likely overstated for several reasons. Actual mortality rates for very healthy 18-25 year old athletes would be almost zero. 

Most virus deaths are sickly, elderly.  

How many college athletes have been infected in sports or college activities!   Almost zero are known.  

Risk is probably higher for accidents, drug od, heart attacks, and many other things.  

Life must resume or the other problems will eclipse any virus issues.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

How many college athletes have been infected in sports or college activities!   Almost zero are known.  

How many college sports have been played since the pandemic hit us?  I honestly don’t know, but I would imagine that number is close to zero as well.  

13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

How many college sports have been played since the pandemic hit us?  I honestly don’t know, but I would imagine that number is close to zero as well.  

its not the sport activities -imo- that increase the risk.  its away from sports.  Cant be much risk interacting, closely, with other athletes when everyone tests negative before competing. 

There have been no significant outbreaks among students I’ve heard of, even on campuses that remained open throughout.

I think we would have heard of athletes dying as those tend to make news stories. 

Finally, I expect that athletes will have extra restrictions in social activities while in school.  

such as:

no parties.  

limited running around off campus,

travel home will require testing.  

The testing regime alone with be a real pain (literally and figuratively) so players will be campus home bodies a lot more.  

College life outside class, football and meals/sleeping will be boring as hell.  Coaches wont let much fun,out and about, from aug to december presumably.  

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There are about 800,000 closed COVID-19 cases in the U.S.

86% of the patients recovered and were discharged, 14% died. That 14% is a pretty high number. We know it skews towards the elderly and folks with compromised conditions, including asthma and as it turns out, obesity.  For reasons still unclear blacks and latinos are disproportionately affected, perhaps relating to lower incomes and the poor diets and healthcare that come with it. Healthy young athletes no doubt pull a much smaller percentage. But where does the 300 pound African-American lineman stand? Or the 70 year old trainer? Our high school quarterback dropped dead at 19 from a condition he didn't know he had, because he was a 19 year old athlete and nobody thought to give him a heart scan. 

But let's say you get that number down to a 3% fatality rate. That seems low. But as someone explained it to me: imagine putting 100 Skittles into a bowl and knowing that 3 of those Skittles will kill you. How many Skittles would you be willing to eat? 

Not sure I understand about the 14% death rate statistic. The difference between 86% and 100%, is not the death rate—it’s the recovered rate+the actively sick rate+the death rate. At least that’s my understanding. Maybe I misunderstood

as far as a 300 pound black lineman being more susceptible—in my opinion, the reason why the elderly, minorities, and the obese have a high death rate comes down to lack of movement. When you are sedentary you don’t circulate. Without circulation, fluid settles in your lungs. When that fluid is full of virus, your inner soldiers (immunity system) cannot reach the bad guys to kill them.  Of course it’s not this simple,  as poverty might reduce access to medical care at the onset to make it a co-morbid condition. So you compare poverty with impairments that affect circulation and bam! A higher death rate. 

note- I DO NOT HAVE A SOURCE OR A LINK FOR THIS. Just my opinion based on things I have read.

And also- the 19 year old that died suddenly could not have been prevented. He likely had the heart break gene. At some point, given almost any physical trigger, he would have died. That example is not a good comparison for these purposes.

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Not sure I understand about the 14% death rate statistic. The difference between 86% and 100%, is not the death rate—it’s the recovered rate+the actively sick rate+the death rate. At least that’s my understanding. Maybe I misunderstood

It's pulled from the 800,000 U.S. COVID cases that have reached a resolution — not including still active cases (another 1.1 million). Those  people contracted COVID and 86% officially recovered while 14% died. 

Now we're waiting to see if the numbers for the remaining 1.1 million active cases will change, and early indications suggest the death rate is dropping. 

Globally, the numbers are fairly similar: among closed cases, 89% recovered, 11% died.

41 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's pulled from the 800,000 U.S. COVID cases that have reached a resolution — not including still active cases (another 1.1 million). Those  people contracted COVID and 86% officially recovered while 14% died. 

Now we're waiting to see if the numbers for the remaining 1.1 million active cases will change, and early indications suggest the death rate is dropping. 

Globally, the numbers are fairly similar: among closed cases, 89% recovered, 11% died.

I don’t know where you are getting your data but here is the latest as of 1 minute ago. 1.9 million cases in US with 110,000 deaths. 5.7% with worldwide cases 6.4 million with 383,000 deaths 5.9%. Plus like most experts believe due to lack of testing and large numbers of people who get no symptoms the death rate is really closer to 1% or less. Man I see why there are paranoid folks if they believe 14% death rate 

• Thanks 3
13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don’t know where you are getting your data but here is the latest as of 1 minute ago. 1.9 million cases in US with 110,000 deaths. 5.7% with worldwide cases 6.4 million with 383,000 deaths 5.9%. Plus like most experts believe due to lack of testing and large numbers of people who get no symptoms the death rate is really closer to 1% or less. Man I see why there are paranoid folks if they believe 14% death rate 

Guy is comparing the number of deaths against the resolved cases only, not total cases. You’re both  using the same numbers. I guess you’re either recovered or dead. 

On 4/12/2020 at 6:25 PM, grandpasknee said:

Nope.  No season this fall.  College team sports will be reduced to Football, basketball and baseball.  Other sports will become extinct.  The second round of COVID 19 will hit this fall.  Schools will remain closed.  No football will be played for 3-5 years, during which, Iowa will claim 3 championships.  It is a bleak, bleak time indeed.

No way.  Gulp aquarium cleaner. :P