Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The shape of the curve is more important than the actual numbers.

I don't entirely agree with that.  I'm not going to look but I suppose it would depend on population density of each country and proximity of people to one another.  Seems like with that many more people here, it would be a lot harder to not be in closer contact with other people in general though.

I also think about the big cities here and how close people are together.  How many of those cities are there in those countries?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I don't entirely agree with that.  I'm not going to look but I suppose it would depend on population density of each country and proximity of people to one another.  Seems like with that many more people here, it would be a lot harder to not be in closer contact with other people in general though.

I also think about the big cities here and how close people are together.  How many of those cities are there in those countries?

Actually, you go to European countries and overall, the population density is higher than ours.  the US has a huge amount of the country that is wide open spaces and very low population comparable to a country like Italy or Germany.  Cities in those countries are similar to ours.

You can't just look at numbers, because of the differences in population.  10,000 deaths here, is very different than 10,000 deaths in Italy.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Not to say we've handled it properly but we have over 3x the population of any of those countries.  Definitely makes a difference.

Italy, Germany, and Spain are all more dense than we are. Yet they flattened the curve much more quickly. We aren't even close to getting to where they are. These graphs are scaled to the same size.

Edit: hadn't read the other posts. Think @BigRedBuster covered it pretty well.

• Plus1 1