Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Oh yes, the necessity vs luxury notion.  Or the essential vs non-essential jobs.  One man’s garbage vs another’s treasure.  Opinions vary on most everything but basic civil rights do not.  

Arguably a business that is successfully operating is “essential” to enough customers to enable it to operate in a relatively free market.  

The businesses that government have summarily outlawed in the name of public safety are legally owed just compensation under the “takings” provisions.  I have yet to hear of suits on this but hope to see them.  This will be trillions $.  If courts allow them.   lol

Many businesses have been closed without - apparently - any virus cases shown.  

How about basic necessities.  Like food, water, transportation, Health care and education.   Most everything else is not necessary for the short term. And I’m talking about society as a whole (not individuals) Is that better?  

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Suggesting Scott Frost is liable for running a football program

HCSF is doing his job. The culpability mainly rests with the NCAA and/or conference as they are deciding whether to play or not.  IMO anyway.  

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, I probably don't need to wear a mask grocery shopping, but I should wear a mask sitting in meetings with people I don't normally associate with.

I've started to enjoy wearing a mask to the grocery store. It provides a little bit of anonymity, and I can likewise pretend not to recognize other people. I hate running into people I know at the grocery store, so now I have some cover.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ulty said:

I've started to enjoy wearing a mask to the grocery store. It provides a little bit of anonymity, and I can likewise pretend not to recognize other people. I hate running into people I know at the grocery store, so now I have some cover.

This. Plus they're handy to hide your face as you make snide comments to those who aren't wearing a mask.

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

This first sentence...is what robbers say!  Ha

:facepalm:

This one isn't even about the economy.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Iowa-school-reopening-plan-doesnt-require-masks-distancing-571496141.html

GRIMES, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa school officials have released guidelines that allow schools to reopen to normal activities as of July 1 without health checks before entering the building, no required face coverings, and no required social distancing.

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think this is anything more than a "well, we might as well see what happens" move.  It makes sense in the fact that it is better to do it NOW...get some results...and then make a final plan about the start of the school year.  

I think a lot of schools are going to try and open with masks/distancing (won't work at all) and some will do optional masks...and they are going to see that by the middle of September they need to close up again.  I think Iowa is trying to get out in front of it.

If they do this...Iowa will be test case that all other states look at it for information.