Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

On 6/26/2020 at 7:33 AM, knapplc said:

This does not look good. We tried to ignore the virus and, and now all the isolating we did the past few months appears to have been wasted.

I don't believe that's entirely accurate.   We did buy time to discover more about the virus and treatment options.  I can empathize with people who are completely disheartened about where we are headed, however.

43 minutes ago, dubsker said:

I don't believe that's entirely accurate.   We did buy time to discover more about the virus and treatment options.  I can empathize with people who are completely disheartened about where we are headed, however.

I get the feeling that some people get their jollies from seeing it spike. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, dubsker said:

What good will that do if we ignore what we've learned, or what other countries have learned? 

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What good will that do if we ignore what we've learned, or what other countries have learned? 

It will still have saved lives, just not as many as you would have liked, unfortunately.   And when you say 'we,' remember that the medical community is still learning more and more about COVID-19 every day.   The politicians make their decisions, but the doctors don't forget what they've learned from the countless research papers and aggregate data that's been collected.

That's the comfort I can offer you.

44 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Will not believe anything about the new spike. To the best of my research ability, the CDC is lumping in antibodies testing as positive tests even though the test can only tell you if you had it in the past. 

All of these articles are from the past 5 days.

"South Florida hospitalizations for COVID-19 are now eclipsing the peaks reached in mid-April. Miami-Dade on Wednesday had 981 people hospitalized with the virus, surpassing an April 17 peak of 787. Broward County had 391 COVID patients in hospitals, nearing its peak of 413 on April 7. Palm Beach County, with 394 people hospitalized with the virus, has far exceeded a peak of 245 cases on April 20."

Texas "Statewide hospitalizations for COVID-19 have reached record numbers for 15 days straight. There were 5,102 hospitalizations as of Friday."

"Seven states are reporting new highs for current coronavirus hospitalizations, according to data tracked by The Washington Post — Arizona, Arkansas, California, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

"The Texas Medical Center’s intensive care capacity could be exceeded as soon as Thursday because of the surge in COVID-19 patients, the hospital system projects."

"Hospitalizations from Covid-19 are also rising in 16 states as of Wednesday, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by the Covid Tracking Project."

IDK where your research took you, but it's easy to see a number of states are seeing a spike based on hospitalizations. Positive tests is a flawed stat, but hospital census is a fantastic indicator. Consistent increases in covid hospitalizations could be a product of the virus becoming more dangerous (Extremely unlikely) or a product of many more people getting the virus (extremely likely). 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

All of these articles are from the past 5 days.

"South Florida hospitalizations for COVID-19 are now eclipsing the peaks reached in mid-April. Miami-Dade on Wednesday had 981 people hospitalized with the virus, surpassing an April 17 peak of 787. Broward County had 391 COVID patients in hospitals, nearing its peak of 413 on April 7. Palm Beach County, with 394 people hospitalized with the virus, has far exceeded a peak of 245 cases on April 20."

Texas "Statewide hospitalizations for COVID-19 have reached record numbers for 15 days straight. There were 5,102 hospitalizations as of Friday."

"Seven states are reporting new highs for current coronavirus hospitalizations, according to data tracked by The Washington Post — Arizona, Arkansas, California, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

"The Texas Medical Center’s intensive care capacity could be exceeded as soon as Thursday because of the surge in COVID-19 patients, the hospital system projects."

"Hospitalizations from Covid-19 are also rising in 16 states as of Wednesday, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by the Covid Tracking Project."

IDK where your research took you, but it's easy to see a number of states are seeing a spike based on hospitalizations. Positive tests is a flawed stat, but hospital census is a fantastic indicator. Consistent increases in covid hospitalizations could be a product of the virus becoming more dangerous (Extremely unlikely) or a product of many more people getting the virus (extremely likely). 

How about the death rate? 

Mine comes from CDC, who requires all testing (diagnostic and antigen) to be reported. These tests are reported in total. Antigen testing is maybe only a month old and only tells you information in the past, yet they report it as an active case. Active cases automatically become recovered in 21 days if not recorded as a death. And I read the last within the last week, but will have to hunt to find it again. 

and you can copy and paste want you want, but within the last few days I’ve spoke directly to kids(parents) and young adults who have been antigen tested as a requirement to participate in various camps. Probably about 10 in total. Four of these 10 were positive for antigens, although none ever been sick or even remember feeling ill. They were denied participating in these camps- which makes zero since unless they are swabbed and came back positive. I checked the CDC reporting requirements and per their protocol these cases were reported as Positive. Probably active too- which is completely false. 

so I guess stay away from kids if you’re high risk. And personally, I want to be around people that have the antibodies. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I posted about a curious anomaly from the CDC yesterday.

22 hours ago, knapplc said:

Interesting find by a Redditor. Would be curious to know if such "pneumonia" death spikes have happened in any other states.

Death rates are down in many states. Here's some clues as to why that may be.

• Indiana: 1,832 COVID-19 deaths; 2,149 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 384)
  • Illinois: 4,856 COVID-19 deaths; 3,986 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 782)
  • Tennessee: 336 COVID-19 deaths; 1,704 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 611)
  • Ohio: 1,969 COVID-19 deaths; 2,327 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 820)
  • Virginia: 1,208 COVID-19 deaths; 1,394 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 451)
  • West Virginia: 72 COVID-19 deaths; 438 pneumonia deaths (five-year average: 117)

Data was sourced from here & here.

Bear in mind that these five-year averages are for the entire year, while the "pneumonia" deaths are for just the first six months of 2020.

So while COVID death rates appear to be dropping a bit, curiously the pneumonia death rates are skyrocketing.

Curious.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Mine comes from CDC, who requires all testing (diagnostic and antigen) to be reported. These tests are reported in total. Antigen testing is maybe only a month old and only tells you information in the past, yet they report it as an active case. Active cases automatically become recovered in 21 days if not recorded as a death. And I read the last within the last week, but will have to hunt to find it again. 

and you can copy and paste want you want, but within the last few days I’ve spoke directly to kids(parents) and young adults who have been antigen tested as a requirement to participate in various camps. Probably about 10 in total. Four of these 10 were positive for antigens, although none ever been sick or even remember feeling ill. They were denied participating in these camps- which makes zero since unless they are swabbed and came back positive. I checked the CDC reporting requirements and per their protocol these cases were reported as Positive. Probably active too- which is completely false. 

so I guess stay away from kids if you’re high risk. And personally, I want to be around people that have the antibodies. 

I'm not even sure what we're debating. You said you didn't believe there was a spike, I'm saying in specific states, there most certainly is a spike. Your anecdotal info on antibody tests isn't wrong. I agree that is much more widespread, and less dangerous than previously believed - which backs up my point that theres a spike in states like Texas, Arizona, Florida - in order to see a obvious increase in hospitalizations it would suggest the virus is widespread in those communities.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm not even sure what we're debating. You said you didn't believe there was a spike, I'm saying in specific states, there most certainly is a spike. Your anecdotal info on antibody tests isn't wrong. I agree that is much more widespread, and less dangerous than previously believed - which backs up my point that theres a spike in states like Texas, Arizona, Florida - in order to see a obvious increase in hospitalizations it would suggest the virus is widespread in those communities.

My post was about the spike and you copied and pasted info about hospitalizations. 

im saying be cautious about getting caught up in the spike as it may be due to the ability to test for antigens and the CDC’s requirement to include antigen positives in the Covid number. Interesting the spike coincides with the ability to test for antigens. But we’ll never know because labs are not required to report by test method.