Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

I read mixed signals from this. Their case per day rate is skyrocketing, and officials worry about hospital space. But, they also said that young people, who experience very limited if any symptoms, are the ones driving the spike in numbers. And, they said that in the last week, the positive test rate was almost 25%, which is triple anywhere else...

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/02/886949217/nearly-one-in-four-arizona-coronavirus-tests-positive-now

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I read mixed signals from this. Their case per day rate is skyrocketing, and officials worry about hospital space. But, they also said that young people, who experience very limited if any symptoms, are the ones driving the spike in numbers. And, they said that in the last week, the positive test rate was almost 25%, which is triple anywhere else...

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/02/886949217/nearly-one-in-four-arizona-coronavirus-tests-positive-now

When they get to death rate they should be bucketing it by age. My guess it's similar now to what it was awhile ago, but people are way more careful about access to retirement homes than they were in March and we've now had 4 months of hearing young people aren't highly impacted, so they're probably being less careful.

So if that's the case, the overall death rate would be lower due to age distribution, but the death rate by age would be similar to what it always was (unless treatment has improved).

• Plus1 1
On 7/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, DevoHusker said:

Based on Colorado data, among positive test results the 20-29 age group has a 5% hospitalization rate, 30-39 has 8%, and 40-49 has 13%. So even if only 20-29 year olds were getting virus, hospital space would run out if enough got it all at once.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Considering we have the lowest unemployment and shrinking case load while New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts have 42% of all deaths, I'm not going to put a lot of stock in their ratings.

Personally I just look at states where people seem the most pissed off.  Pretty easy indicator as to which governors are doing it right and which one's are pissing the edumocated off.

• Plus1 1

A grade-school teacher explains her take on in-person schooling vs. remote learning this Fall:

Source

Teacher here: but even if schools had opened, kids would not have been getting social interaction (no P.E., virtual assemblies, modified distanced recess, structured distanced lunches, etc). School in the fall would be provide no social interactions at all.

I would not be able to have reading groups (no reading table, no groups due to distancing).

I (the teacher) would be giving ZERO one-on-one reading or math help from me to any students while we are in the in-person in class setting. Think about that...what would be first grade be like of your teacher could not come over and give you a pointer or small correction or encouragement when you were doing some new learning or something challenging? At least distance learning I can do a one-on-one or very small group Zoom to help a struggling student.

Every kid would be sitting all day at their one assigned desk, with the teacher sitting all day at his or her one assigned desk.

I cannot even imagine! Usually I sit on the floor side-by-side with my students for reading, and stronger readers might sit with their buddies in other parts of the room. Usually, we are shoulder to shoulder, I hold the child's book with them, we take turns pointing to the words on the page. How would that work of they are across the room at their desk!

Also, we were told by principal to remove all bookshelves and remove all books (to make more space for socially distanced desks). Plus, students couldn't share books from a class library anyway (no shared materials). So children would sit at their desk "island" all day with their one (sometimes boring) state program reading textbook and their one really boring state program social studies textbook.

No pastel crayons or paints (shared art supplies disallowed). No shared toy things (legos, blocks, board games) when on rainy day recess or to earn as a class reward.

No partner work (which many kids love).

Modified or remote music (singing increases droplets). To cut down on custodial sanitizing, probably students would also not have access to real math blocks (what we call manipulatives, that we use for showing addition/subtraction, place value, geometry - and that are vital) - so the kids would instead use virtual online math blocks.

Kids wearing masks all day, me wearing my mask all day. My voice muffled, my lips not visible when they are trying to learn phonics and correct English pronunciation. Me not being able AT ALL to hear their voices when I call upon a child to read aloud, to do a math problem, to repeat a phonics sound with me.

No class songs, quiet quiet voices and silence at all times, no moving from space to space, no group projects, no teddy bears, no special chairs, no little dance breaks. Sigh...it would be like every fun and special thing would be missing.

I imagine a lot of the in-person school day would be my students sitting at their desks on Chromebooks, doing online learning and online busywork. Like robots or like school in the 1800s.

I'd be on edge and constantly worried about getting sick myself, and very fearful for the health and safety of the children and or their families. I would never forgive myself if I let my guard down and a child got sick or died (or their grandparent died) because I was not strong enough at enforcing all the new health criteria. So I would probably be unfairly harsh and mean if a child forgot and hugged a friend or left their desk area. And then I would feel super guilty later.

Everyone talks about the psychological effects of school being closed (distance learning only) - being home another few weeks or months even. But what are the psychological effects of kids being glued to a desk all day, with a frightened stressed-out (possibly harsh) teacher overseeing them, viewing all the adults and their classmates in masks all day, with no hugs, no close interactions...and in the very place that for many kids represented love and fun and security: their classroom? I think seeing their school like that will (at least at first) be traumatizing for young ones, whereas being home with a trusted family member and doing online learning will be more comforting.

At least with distance learning, the really good platform I use, the kids can record their voices reading and I can hear them, and I can record my voice providing corrections. And they can video themselves doing math, reading, or just a video hello message - with no mask. And my videos lessons are with no mask. Also, the kids and I can exchange recorded fun personal videos to each other (them singing, me waving me doing a silly class cheer for them) that will put them at ease. I am not two people. If I am in a physical classroom all day supervising children (and trying to teach) I will not have time for doing extra things like encouraging videos where they can see me unmasked (I can't 100% in person teach and 100% distance teach - that's two full time jobs).

Distance learning is not always great, but I really feel like distance learning versus in class learning with ALL (and more!) of the restrictions listed above, distance is a way better quality option (at this time, for this specific situation).

I am biased. I am afraid of dying if I go back to teaching when there is too much covid-19 in the community. But how will my teaching and connection and warmth to my students and their parents really be if I meet my new class feeling this way? If many of the teachers are afraid, and even angry at the district leadership for putting their life (or that of their family) in danger, that is not going to be a recipe for a positive experience for the children. Of course we would do our best, but we are human.

I feel bad for the parents and the businesses for the stress and hardship this will create, but in terms of just pure happiness for the kids and pure learning experience for the kids, the distance learning option is at this time a way better choice.

• Thanks 1