Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

15 hours ago, Toe said:

Welp, the uni I work for just went to online-only for all undergrad classes, and it happened exactly the way everyone f#&%ing knew it would: fraternity & sorority parties with absolutely no one wearing a mask ruin it for everybody else. Not even two weeks in and there's already seven Greek houses under quarantine, and it sounds like more will follow. Guess I won't be returning to work on campus anytime soon...

It seems inevitable for everyone, right? My university is having students do remote learning at least until mid-September, but they are supposed to make a final decision by Labor Day regarding return-to-campus or staying remote. Students started moving back to town last week, and before the online classes even began, students can be seen all over our small college town having parties, roaming together in packs, etc all without masks. Meanwhile, those of us who have been working remote for months have sort of a half-assed phase in plan to return to campus as needed (my office is currently on a rotation where we take turns going to campus one day per week, for no real reason in particular). 

Everyone knows that we aren't heading back to campus full-time anytime soon, but leadership has been loathe make an actual decision or even acknowledge that the driver is finances, not health and safety. But it seems like it is that way for almost every institution.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Would you rather work on campus vs working from home? 

Put it this way: before I took this job, I was laid off and without work for an extended period. And being stuck alone at home all the time with limited options for going out feels a little too much like being unemployed for my tastes...

• Fire 2
9 minutes ago, Toe said:

Put it this way: before I took this job, I was laid off and without work for an extended period. And being stuck alone at home all the time with limited options for going out feels a little too much like being unemployed for my tastes...

Yeah I can see craving simply getting out of the house.  Glad you found a job though.  Maybe someday things can actually go back to normal.  

@suh_fan93 The other thing is that I moved for this job. It's like I'd just kinda gotten settled in when everything shut down, so I haven't been able to get out and explore my new hometown or meet people nearly as much as I'd like.

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Toe said:

@suh_fan93 The other thing is that I moved for this job. It's like I'd just kinda gotten settled in when everything shut down, so I haven't been able to get out and explore my new hometown or meet people nearly as much as I'd like.

I know someone who's going through the same thing.  She moved five hours away to take a teaching job and then Covid hit and so now she's had to stay at home basically also as her school then announced they were beginning the year with remote learning so it's been tough.  Hope you keep on hanging in there.  

edit:  she moved 5 hours away and not two.  I blame the devils lettuce!

• Plus1 1

I wont lie, the March/April/May at home work was kind of nice.  I worked really hard to make sure my department was in compliance.  I put in more hours than normal and worked 7 days a week, but it was all good as I napped daily and mostly didn't put on anything other than my house sweatshirt. My boss let me come in and work on Saturday and Sunday evenings because I need some access to the file room and some nights I was there until 11pm.  I was able to get my jog in daily, and didn't have to get up at 5 am to do it.  I had a hair fairy come over so that I didn't emerge completely shaggy.  I did have the nightly neighborhood wiffle ball game to keep me  motivated to look presentable and my effort did not go un-noticed and within a week hairy fairies were all over.  

Then I went back to work and found that many co-workers didn't do anything, including looking at or responding to emails.  We are going to take a massive hit from witheld federal money due to lack of compliance. It was a free ride for them while I worked like a dog.  We returned to work on our normally scheduled date (we're 10 month) of July 23, worked two weeks, and then was told to go home for two weeks.  We go back on Monday.  I am having a hard time.  I could have used this two weeks to get caught up, get ready, and really record some knock out training webinars, but I did nothing.  I didn't even watch TV.  I mostly just obsessed over no football season as it was my holy grail of motivation and--- not sure what because I certainly didn't exercise, clean house, or prepare in anyway.  And do you think I will be remembered for how hard I put my nose to the grindstone- Nope.  So f-u Warren you soul sucking SOB.

• Fire 1

We drove to Lincoln on Friday to move my daughter back to school, spent the night and most of the day Saturday in Lincoln, now we're in Columbus. Not to be too judgy but Nebraska seems to be taking this virus thing way lighter than in Colorado. I saw pretty good mask use most places in Lincoln and even at the Big Springs gas stop. But get off the beaten path and nobody seems to care. Hit up the Godfather's at the gas station in Sutherland and nobody was even pretending to have a mask except for us and one couple from California. Columbus seems to be the same, full restaurants and no masks. I'd prepare for things to get worse before they get better based on what I've seen.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/21/2020 at 1:06 PM, suh_fan93 said:

Would you rather work on campus vs working from home?  My company decided about 2 months ago that we are now permanently remote.  I won't lie there are some faces at work I definitely will not miss seeing at all and I don't miss my commute at all either.  

I went back to work February 24 after being off work since last September 9 recovering from a stroke.  I was sent home to work the Thursday of Holy Week.  Hated the idea as I was getting back into the swing of going to work.

You know what?  I love WFH, 30 second commute, showering and shaving are optional, and shorts are mandatory.  Once this crap is over, WFH will be a permanent option.  Sign me up!

• Fire 1