Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

On 3/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, krc1995 said:

Not aimed at you, but apparently his post got moved. Before anyone jumps  to conclusions about the terrible side affects from the vaccine, look at the poster’s old board name. Might ring a bell for you old timers. 

of course, this has nothing to do with Spring Practice, but don’t want anyone to be fearful of  getting the vaccine. 

Fearful?  No.

Cautious?  Yes.

This is just one quick item that everyone should be aware of....

VAERS is the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System which tracks all vaccine reactions in the United States as in the USA the vaccine makers have zero liability for any injuries or deaths and the government insures all those events. The following link pulls the data on the COVID vaccines from that database to make it easier to understand. 

Link:  https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

Recorded Adverse Reactions to COVID vaccines up to March 12, 2021.

Deaths: 1,739

Hospitalizations:  3,976

Urgent Care: 6,716

Miscarriages: 69

....there are more. 

Will leave each individual to assess on their own, but information such as this should be part of each “Informed Consent”, and not something you have to go looking for....

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Fearful?  No.

Cautious?  Yes.

VAERS is the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System which tracks all vaccine reactions in the United States as in the USA the vaccine makers have zero liability for any injuries or deaths and the government insures all those events. The following link pulls the data on the COVID vaccines from that database to make it easier to understand. 

....there are more. 

Will leave each individual to assess on their own, but information such as this should be part of each “Informed Consent”, and not something you have to go looking for....

This is a private site pulling numbers from a government site full of disclaimers saying data is not verified.

Forgive me for being very skeptical here.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Canadian Fan said:

Fearful?  No.

Cautious?  Yes.

....there are more. 

Take miscarriages. How do you know the vaccine caused them?  Apologies again for not the right thread.  And never did I suggest you should it “do your research”. What I posted is about believing the first hand report. 

But I guess if you’re not going to question the legitimacy of reporting data you’re probably already have your mind made up anyway  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Take miscarriages. How do you know the vaccine caused them?  Apologies again for not the right thread.  And never did I suggest you should it “do your research”. What I posted is about believing the first hand report. 

But I guess if you’re not going to question the legitimacy of reporting data you’re probably already have your mind made up anyway  

First of all, as it's named "Reporting" system most would recognize that it is in fact based on "reports" as opposed to verified injuries, deaths, etc.  If you missed that distincton, that's on you, not on me..

Second of all, long ago before I would have ever posted anything on this I read the VAERS reporting rules (where there are in fact criminal penalties, including imprisonment for making false reports) and FAQ to ensure I had a basic understanding of how it worked.  I'm willing to wager that as you chose to attack the poster instead of the content, that you took no such efforts, and as such may want to look in the mirror prior to accusing someone else of a pre-existing bias.

Lastly, if you truly are looking for a more statistical reason to be cautious (which is all I proposed), and shift from the current "reports" to cases where a claimant provided enough evidence for the  Vaccine Injury Compensation Program to pay out an award (noting that 100% of the burden tying the injury to a vaccine reaction is on the claimant) then I would invite you to read the following document as issued by the government's Health Services and Resources Administration....if there were few injuries or deaths acknowledged as caused by vaccines then this report should show a very small payout number.

https://www.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hrsa/vaccine-compensation/data/data-statistics-report.pdf

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, Canadian Fan said:

First of all, as it's named "Reporting" system most would recognize that it is in fact based on "reports" as opposed to verified injuries, deaths, etc.  If you missed that distincton, that's on you, not on me..

Second of all, long ago before I would have ever posted anything on this I read the VAERS reporting rules (where there are in fact criminal penalties, including imprisonment for making false reports) and FAQ to ensure I had a basic understanding of how it worked.  I'm willing to wager that as you chose to attack the poster instead of the content, that you took no such efforts, and as such may want to look in the mirror prior to accusing someone else of a pre-existing bias.

Lastly, if you truly are looking for a more statistical reason to be cautious (which is all I proposed), and shift from the current "reports" to cases where a claimant provided enough evidence for the  Vaccine Injury Compensation Program to pay out an award (noting that 100% of the burden tying the injury to a vaccine reaction is on the claimant) then I would invite you to read the following document as issued by the government's Health Services and Resources Administration....if there were few injuries or deaths acknowledged as caused by vaccines then this report should show a very small payout number.

https://www.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hrsa/vaccine-compensation/data/data-statistics-report.pdf

First, I will not call someone names for not getting a COVID vaccine. I understand the vaccines are fairly new but they rely on research that has been ongoing for years.

Saying all that, I find it funny that a group of individuals talk out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to this pandemic. First we can't trust the COVID numbers because "people getting hit by buses (you can insert any way of dying not related to COVID) that tested positive from COVID are being counting as COVID deaths." and now we referencing a site that lists people dying because they happen to get a vaccine and die without any real correlation. 

Now watch me die from the shot I got yesterday. 

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, jaws said:

Saying all that, I find it funny that a group of individuals talk out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to this pandemic. First we can't trust the COVID numbers because "people getting hit by buses (you can insert any way of dying not related to COVID) that tested positive from COVID are being counting as COVID deaths." and now we referencing a site that lists people dying because they happen to get a vaccine and die without any real correlation. 

Now watch me die from the shot I got yesterday. 

Yeah I really want people to get the vaccine but if you don't want to, whatever. That being said, I don't see how people can use. data to justify not getting the vaccine. So you're not getting a vaccine for a virus that kills 160/100,000 people, because 1 in a million vaccine's administered ends in a lawsuit settlement? Or you're not gonna get a vaccine for a virus that kills 160/100,000 people because 1.9/100,000 people vaccinated died around the time they got the vaccine and it may or may not be connected to the vaccine. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah I really want people to get the vaccine but if you don't want to, whatever. That being said, I don't see how people can use. data to justify not getting the vaccine. So you're not getting a vaccine for a virus that kills 160/100,000 people, because 1 in a million vaccine's administered ends in a lawsuit settlement? Or you're not gonna get a vaccine for a virus that kills 160/100,000 people because 1.9/100,000 people vaccinated died around the time they got the vaccine and it may or may not be connected to the vaccine. 

I am not taking a stand one way or the other...but to the bold, that same argument has been made by MANY folks about the disease itself. 

• Plus1 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah I really want people to get the vaccine but if you don't want to, whatever. That being said, I don't see how people can use. data to justify not getting the vaccine. So you're not getting a vaccine for a virus that kills 160/100,000 people, because 1 in a million vaccine's administered ends in a lawsuit settlement? Or you're not gonna get a vaccine for a virus that kills 160/100,000 people because 1.9/100,000 people vaccinated died around the time they got the vaccine and it may or may not be connected to the vaccine

I'd say both those numbers are suspect.  Of the 160, there are a lot of people who had other conditions and would have died soon anyway.  And some of the 160 died from other causes but tested positive to Covid.  So the real number is something less.  Maybe 150/100,000 or maybe 30/100,000.  Nobody knows for sure.  Regardless of how much lower the actual number is, the Covid-19 virus is a nasty, deadly disease.  People who think its not real have either been mislead, or are just plain stupid.  

The same holds true for the vaccine.  Even if 1.9/100,000 died shortly after receiving the shot, probably a fair percentage of them died from other, unrelated causes.  So the 1.9 would be somewhat less as well.  

/btw:  I got my shot last week, when it first was available to me.  

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had my vaccine yesterday - went with the one dose J&J version.

I felt fine for most of the day aside from a little arm soreness. But, just before bed last night, a warm/flushed feeling sort of hit me, followed by a massive headache, chills and insomnia. I took some Excedrin in the late morning hours and finally slept for maybe an hour or so, but I spent most of today feeling sore and achy with a persistent headache. Even had a couple of brief nausea spells. Tried to sleep quite a bit with varying degrees of luck. Appetite has been hit or miss. My wife had similar symptoms today but not quite as bad.

My father-in-law and a friend of ours (both of whom had COVID in January) also got the J&J shot yesterday and are only experiencing arm soreness today. My wife and I never had COVID.

• Plus1 2

Five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible

18 MARCH 2021     www.nature.com

<snip>

In February, independent data scientist Youyang Gu changed the name of his popular COVID-19 forecasting model from ‘Path to Herd Immunity’ to ‘Path to Normality’. He said that reaching a herd-immunity threshold was looking unlikely because of factors such as vaccine hesitancy, the emergence of new variants and the delayed arrival of vaccinations for children.

The Five Reasons

1. It’s unclear whether vaccines prevent transmission

2. Vaccine roll-out is uneven

3. New variants change the herd-immunity equation

4. Immunity might not last forever

5. Vaccines might change human behaviour  

LINK

========================================================  

Well, that's not good.  

• Thanks 1

So to what do we attribute the precipitous drop in cases over the last five months?  Or - probably more precisely - to what do we attribute the dramatic slowing of the spread from mid-November to mid-January and then a dramatic drop in new cases from mid-January to mid-February and steady since then (at least in the US)?  It doesn't seem likely that people suddenly changed their behavior - especially not in a  way that would lessen the spread - and that timeframe is really before any widespread vaccine distribution?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So to what do we attribute the precipitous drop in cases over the last five months?  Or - probably more precisely - to what do we attribute the dramatic slowing of the spread from mid-November to mid-January and then a dramatic drop in new cases from mid-January to mid-February and steady since then (at least in the US)?  It doesn't seem likely that people suddenly changed their behavior - especially not in a  way that would lessen the spread - and that timeframe is really before any widespread vaccine distribution?

The election.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1