Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

So to what do we attribute the precipitous drop in cases over the last five months?  Or - probably more precisely - to what do we attribute the dramatic slowing of the spread from mid-November to mid-January and then a dramatic drop in new cases from mid-January to mid-February and steady since then (at least in the US)?  It doesn't seem likely that people suddenly changed their behavior - especially not in a  way that would lessen the spread - and that timeframe is really before any widespread vaccine distribution?

It mirrors a typical flu season - which isn't surprising, since they're both airborne pathogens. 

yq1pVgs.jpg

2a4nogC.png

57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It mirrors a typical flu season - which isn't surprising, since they're both airborne pathogens. 

That's not an answer to why.  I've been told for months that we need to stop comparing it to the flu because it's not the flu.  Plus the flu vaccine is a lot more prominently distributed than the COVID vaccine.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

That's not an answer to why.  I've been told for months that we need to stop comparing it to the flu because it's not the flu.  Plus the flu vaccine is a lot more prominently distributed than the COVID vaccine.

You've been told for months to stop comparing it to the flu because it's far more deadly than the flu, not because of how it's spread. 

You seem certain this isn't the reason. What do you think is causing this ramp down, that just happens to mirror flu season?

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You seem certain this isn't the reason. What do you think is causing this ramp down, that just happens to mirror flu season?

That isn't a reason because you didn't give a reason.  You just said it looks like something else.  That's not a why.  That's what I'm asking.

Why does the ramp down happen to the flu?

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Shocked. 

biden admin now targeting 70% of Americans getting at least one dose. Seems very unlikely. Vaccinations are already starting to slow down from what I’ve heard. Sounds like even at 50% we would have a lot of luck in overturning the tide. 

I was feeling like the U.S. has come out the other side. My whole family is vaxxed, our friends are vaxxed, we're hanging out mask-less and eating at restaurants again.

Then I look at the stats, and the U.S. is still racking up 700/800/900 deaths a day, numbers that were not considered acceptable a year ago. 

And there's India, going back to mass celebrations and creating the worst crisis scenario yet. 

I'm going to hang on to feeling good about my family, my kid going back to school, and our really safe county, but I have a feeling that COVID fatigue doesn't mean Covid is done with us. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was feeling like the U.S. has come out the other side. My whole family is vaxxed, our friends are vaxxed, we're hanging out mask-less and eating at restaurants again.

Then I look at the stats, and the U.S. is still racking up 700/800/900 deaths a day, numbers that were not considered acceptable a year ago. 

And there's India, going back to mass celebrations and creating the worst crisis scenario yet. 

I'm going to hang on to feeling good about my family, my kid going back to school, and our really safe county, but I have a feeling that COVID fatigue doesn't mean Covid is done with us. 

I think people are struggling at this point to accept any kind of regulations. They are done with it. My county in KS no longer has a mask mandate. About half of the businesses no longer require masks. It’s getting to the point where people are accepting that you either live with it or stay at home. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah this part is odd.  Last year with those numbers we shut down everything, this year with those numbers we are not only NOT shutting down but opening up more and more.

Not one person at my school thought we would make it to Labor Day.

• Plus1 2