Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Just now, RedDenver said:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Seasonal flu has already spread throughout the population, so many, many more people have it already. Covid-19 is still in the process of spreading, so there's far fewer cases.

That's why you need to look at the mortality rates (emphasis mine):

No, coronavirus isn't the same as the flu

And, the CDC is estimating up to 150 million Americans will be infected. At 0.5% mortality rates, that's 750,000 dead.

I mean... that's shocking.  That will touch every single American, who will lose a loved one, friend, coworker, acquaintance.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Not sure if this has already been posted in this thread, but this is the best guess of the UNMC that they presented to the NE legislature:

CoronavirusNUMBERS-640x400.jpg

That was an estimate of 96 million infected, too. Which could be optimistic if we don't shut down the country like Italy has done.

There will be HEAVY resistance to those kinds of measures around here. Just look at the public freakout over Boy's State canceling crowds.

• Plus1 1

I've had a bunch of friends and family asking why it even matters to slow the spread of the disease if many of us are likely to get it anyway, so I'll share this here. The basic idea is "flattening the curve", which is to slow the spread of the virus such that the maximum number of sick people at any given time is reduced. That helps keep the health care system from being overwhelmed, which can lead to more people dying that otherwise could have been saved (from Covid-19 and other things as well). Here's a good illustration of the concept:

n_hayes_curve_200309_1920x1080.focal-760

• Plus1 5

4 hours ago, GSG said:

I still don't understand the TP hoarding. If we do end up being quarantined at home, just hop in the shower after you s#!t and wash your a$$! It's not like you're going anywhere 

Ya, I don't get it either. It's not life and death unless you eat fried chicken right afterwards with your hands smeared with feces and then there's probably still a good chance you survive.

10 hours ago, GSG said:

I still don't understand the TP hoarding. If we do end up being quarantined at home, just hop in the shower after you s#!t and wash your a$$! It's not like you're going anywhere 

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Ya, I don't get it either. It's not life and death unless you eat fried chicken right afterwards with your hands smeared with feces and then there's probably still a good chance you survive.

I think the rationale is to stock/horde most anything now so that they don’t have to go out in public to stores later when the virus is more prevalent and the chances of catching it are further elevated. Most people likely view toilet paper as somewhat of a necessity.

Interesting discussion:  clears up some of my initial misconceptions.

Sounds like this won't go away when the weather gets warmer like most strains of flu .

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. Look for his book "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Deadly Germs" for more info. https://amzn.to/2IAzeLe http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They should just play the Spring Game in front of cameras and leave the crowds out of it. I'll eat the cost of my tickets. It's not worth it, especially for a practice.

I really hate to be the one who asks this...But what if they cancel the whole season?

Most flu type strains would invariably die off when the weather got warmer, but it sounds like this one isn't affected as much by temperature..  I didn't really take this very seriously until the NBA put their season on hold.

21 hours ago, GSG said:

I'm not hoarding any TP.  I figure if this thing really gets out of control and kills half the population, I'll just go over to one of my dead neighbors' houses and help myself.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4